PDA

View Full Version : Info on Brown Bair Press???

seagiant
01-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Hi,
I was just in my shop loading up some 44 Mag. with this press and was wondering if anyone else used it? This is the 3 station H type press that resembles the C-H press. This is one tough little dude and the big 44's don't stand a chance! If anyone has an old manual or any info,opinions,whatever I would be interested. I think this press was made in the 60's.By the way I think I bought this press at my lo]cal gunshop for $25 a couple years ago,turned out to be one of my better bargains! Thanks!

floodgate
01-14-2007, 02:30 PM
seagiant:

Check under "Bair" using the "search" function on the ARTCA Board at <www.antiquereloadingtools.com>. There is a note on the Bair line - mostly made for Pacific, but also sold under their own name - by Ken Neeld, our expert on the mid-20th Century tools. He doesn't mention the "Brown Bair", but I am sure he can help you chase it down.

floodgate

seagiant
01-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Well that was interesting,thanks Floodgate,I didn't find anything on my particular press but found some info on the old Bair Machine Works and a very nice site on old reloading tools. I'll have to admit I can't hardly pass up a nice old press if the price is right, I don't want to say how many I have but the saving grace is that if I see someone starting out in reloading I have enough equipment laying around to help out. Well some men collect wives! Go figure!

Bent Ramrod
01-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Seagiant,

The line of BAIR presses first showed up in the Fourth Edition (1968) of the Handloader's Digest. The Brown BAIR III debuted in the 5th Edition (1970). It was the 3-station version of the Brown BAIR I, which was pictured. Made of high-density annealed cast iron, precision ground and fitted guide posts, it accepted standard removable shell holder heads and a set of three 7/8" x 14 dies. Feed tubes and seating punches for both primer sizes was included. The price was $54.50; serious money back then when a perfectly adequate C press was $15-$25. A Bonanza Co-Ax was $5.45 more and an RCBS Rockchucker was $0.50 less than the BB III. The Brown BAIR and Cubs Package (cute, eh?) included three shell holders and the die set of your choice for $79.50.

The cost had climbed to $89.90/$109.90 by the 7th Edition (1975), had changed its name to "Brown Bear III" and was offered only as the Package by the 8th Edition (1978) at $159.90, and went off the radar in the 9th Edition (1981). It was back, with both packages ($150/$165) in the 11th Edition (1987) and disappeared forever in the 12th Edition (1990), along with the Pacific line. IT may be that C-H bought both BAIR and Pacific out; the Grizzly Bear O-press was offered as a C-H after the Bear line disappeared and the C-H, (soon to become C-H-4-D) H-presses looked a little stouter and more utilitarian after BAIR/Bear's demise.

You definitely got a bargain, whatever vintage yours is.

seagiant
01-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Well this has been great! I appreciate all this info. Ramrod you are correct, I called the gentleman at C-H about whether the primer system on there press would work on the Bair and found that the C-H press was just a bit bigger. I think the C-H type press was originally a 3 hole like the Bair but then later went to a 4 hole design. I didn't pursue the primer system idea after that. I use a Lee hand or my bench mount RCBS primer. After priming I bell the case mouth with a lyman expander die and drop the powder from an RCBS powder measure mounted on top of the expander die then go to the next station and seat the bullet. I see that a lot of people like the turret style press but I personally get tired of flipping the turret back and forth. With the H-type presses you don't have to deal with this. This coming from a guy with 2 Stars, 2 Dillons, ect ,ect,ect! Thanks again!

remguth
10-27-2010, 01:09 PM
I have an old brown bair press that I would like to sell. Any idea what it is worth and where I could sell it? Thanks

scrapcan
10-27-2010, 05:02 PM
remguth,

send me a pm or an email I would like to see pictures of which press it is. I may be interested.

Jeremy

flashhole
10-29-2010, 05:38 PM
yes, a picture would go a long way.

remguth
11-01-2010, 08:28 AM
I have more photos, I could only attach 1 right now. Please email remguth@yahoo.com to get the rest. Thanks

Kevin Rohrer
11-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Seagiant,
...the Grizzly Bear O-press was offered as a C-H after the Bear line disappeared and the C-H, (soon to become C-H-4-D) H-presses looked a little stouter and more utilitarian after BAIR/Bear's demise.

That's because C-H's 1- and 3-hole H-presses were made of aluminum. Their 3-station H looks amazingly like the Bair that is pictured here.

Their current 4-station '444' is made entirely of steel. I have one and like it.