PDA

View Full Version : New guy with lots of questions

Swamprat1052
01-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Hey guys, I am just getting into this and need some help. I have a chance to buy an older Star Lubricator/Sizer. I understand that I can feed it nose first. Where do I get dies for this, this sizer is being sold by a lady who lost her husband and she doesnt have any dies or know anything about it. Neither do I.

I just bought a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt and have been shooting cast .452 bullets in it. I have been reloading rifles for years but this is my first attempt at pistols. The .452's shoot good in it but I am wanting to cast my own. I looked on Magmas site and didnt find the sizing dies for it and dont know if the ones for the new sizer will work in the old one. Do you need different dies for loading nose first?
I like the idea of not needing all those top punches too.

Thanks,

Swamprat1052

RayinNH
01-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Swamprat1052, first welcome to the board. Magma Engineering is the purveyor of the Star sizer. While I know nothing about them, below is the link to the Star sizer. I would call Magma and ask...Ray

http://www.magmaengineering.com/item.php?id=24

arkypete
01-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Swamprat
Welcome If that ladies lost husband should turn up he'll be a might tiffed at here selling his stuff.
Ohhh well
You will need a nose punch even if it's solid, no cutting it to fit a special nose shape.
When I bought my Star they made the dies to my specs as they did the nose punches.
Jim

454PB
01-14-2007, 09:52 PM
The new dies will fit the old sizer. You now have a very well made sizer, which is designed to feed boolits nose first. I'll bet if the wife will let you look around, the sizer dies are there somewhere.

Char-Gar
01-15-2007, 11:51 AM
For the odd or custom sized dies and nose punches, Stillwell at www.sizingdie.com can make what you need.

Swamprat1052
01-15-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the info guys. I have got lots of learning to do but hope to get up and running soon.

Swamprat1052