PDA

View Full Version : Who makes Corbins Jackets?? - cos its not Corbin!

Spanners
07-27-2011, 05:55 AM
I have a box of 'Corbin' VB jackets

The label ont he end has been 1/2 cut away to get rid of a brand name.
Under that label is a sticker for AMAX and on the backside of the 'Corbin' name is the backing for SST
Under the 'corbin' is XTP

Top of box has label removed also - and box has 'Not for Resale' on it

So in order from top to bottom 4 layers - same stickers obviously added as the box has been designated for jackets

Corbin
XTP
SST
Amax

Safe to say they are Hornady Jackets? made by Hornady or????

I'll post pics up when I get a chance - interesting though

Mountain Prepper
07-27-2011, 03:02 PM
I know the jackets from the mid 90’s were all J4...

Finding a contractor for jackets must be difficult...

kombayotch
07-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Buying them from someone who's already making them in mass quantities certainly makes sense...

williamwaco
07-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Has anyone looked at Sierra.

They offer rifle jackets on their web site. Might sell handgun jackets if anyone offered to buy enough.

See:

https://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=store&page=purchase_bullet_jackets

Last time I was there they were all avalilable. Today only .30 cal.

GRUMPA
07-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Well their is more than one way of looking at this. In all honesty those jackets probably are made somewhere else, using a well known name demands higher prices. Without someone at the upper end of the food chain verifying it you'll never really know.

Sometimes to cut costs in todays market their is also the remote possibility that the box those jackets came in where seconds. If a person were to purchase enough of them the savings for the company would be nothing to sneeze at. I guarantee that Corbin doesn't make those boxes, they just order from someone that makes boxes.

williamwaco: I hit that link and almost fell over from sticker shock. I must be waaaaay behind the times, they want just under 33cents each. I know I haven't bought any factory stuff in a long time but :holysheep.

MIBULLETS
07-27-2011, 06:11 PM
The jackets I got from Larry Blackmon look exacly like the ones I have got from Corbin.

I doubt they are Hornady jackets. My guess is that there is a jacket maker out there who has agreed to sell without revealing their name and doesn't want to get into selling a 1000 here and there to guys like us, but many many thousands or more to some that resell them.

DukeInFlorida
07-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Actually, if you hit the Extra Info link, they say that the price is per thousand (two 500 pc boxes). Still, that's 16 cents each!

I'll make mine (30 cal) from 5.7X28 brass.

williamwaco: I hit that link and almost fell over from sticker shock. I must be waaaaay behind the times, they want just under 33cents each. I know I haven't bought any factory stuff in a long time but :holysheep.

Pavogrande
07-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Having seen corbin pricing, I expect the US mint is their source.

GRUMPA
07-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Yep your right Duke, shoulda paid close attention to that. But still .16ea for a jacket? It will be a cold day in H*LL before I do that.

Spanners
07-27-2011, 07:56 PM
You can see where the rest of the sticker has been removed
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc288/porrittm/IMG_4433.jpg

Sticker on Sticker
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc288/porrittm/IMG_4434.jpg

Back of other sticker
http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc288/porrittm/IMG_4437.jpg

Sticker moved with 'Not for resale' under it - also has 'Not for Resale' on side of box
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc288/porrittm/IMG_4438.jpg

It stands to reason that a external company making jackets for Hornady wouldnt put trademark 'R' symbols after a name - let alone the fact many people have seent he jacket making machines on factory tours there.

Mountain Prepper
07-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Very interesting.

Corbin label has the lot number just cut off.

Boxes do cost money, the fact that there are three labels and all three have internal control numbers on them show a single origin.

The other labels are for bullets, not just jackets, and are intended to go to a second location for loading into cartridges, the labels are what I would expect for a contractor.

A “made in” would also be interesting, while looking over information for deep draw copper I came across at least 30 asian based companies that will tool up for making jackets if the numbers are there.

coyote
07-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Corbin jackets used to be made from pure copper up until last year .
Now if you go on his website and look for jackets and prices it says they are made of gilding metal ,so my guess is he buys them from someone who is big enough to buy the gilding metal to make them.

Seth Hawkins
07-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Maybe he's just re-using boxes, and the labels and stamps have nothing to do with jackets. I re-use boxes all the time, and either use a marker or a label to cover over any existing labels or marks so that I don't lose track of what's actually in the box.

Mountain Prepper
07-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Maybe he's just re-using boxes, and the labels and stamps have nothing to do with jackets. I re-use boxes all the time, and either use a marker or a label to cover over any existing labels or marks so that I don't lose track of what's actually in the box.

Actually if you look at the labels it is clear that the manufacturer of the bullets in the covered labels are the same with the same internal type of manufacturer’s numbers.

The jackets are made by whoever also makes the bullets listed on the label.

The boxes may have been re-used or just mis-labled but the labels are clearly not of corbin origin.

Now the question is, could we find a manufacturer of jackets that we could then make a group buy from to bring the price down to a reasonable level?

When I checked out some of corbin’s supplies I calculated that he marks up his supply business at least 300% some items are actually x 8...

I guess I need to look into the swage supply business.

Spanners
07-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Actually if you look at the labels it is clear that the manufacturer of the bullets in the covered labels are the same with the same internal type of manufacturer’s numbers.

The jackets are made by whoever also makes the bullets listed on the label.

The boxes may have been re-used or just mis-labled but the labels are clearly not of corbin origin.

Now the question is, could we find a manufacturer of jackets that we could then make a group buy from to bring the price down to a reasonable level?

When I checked out some of corbin’s supplies I calculated that he marks up his supply business at least 300% some items are actually x 8...

I guess I need to look into the swage supply business.

EXACTLY! :D
I would buy a 'few' - I think 100,000 should be no probs to move between a few of us, maybe ALOT more if price was right.

GRUMPA
07-30-2011, 09:24 PM
I would imagine IF you could find someone to make those you would have to know a foreign language. I wouldn't even try to look in this country, when I would quote a job in a job shop other countries already had you out bid before you even bought the material.

Houndog
07-30-2011, 10:26 PM
I've looked into setting up a bullet jacket business before and the 95/5 alloy (guilding metal) isn't the problem, it's the presses and tooling that will hold tolerances to .0003! If you can't hold that tight a tolerance for your jackets, you aren't in the running. The more you dig into it, the more you wonder how J4 and Sierra can make their jackets to that standard and sell them as cheap as they do.

My son in law has a fishing lure business and uses an extruded chamber almost like a bullet jacket to make a sound chamber. In fact when we were prototyping his lure used a 6MM jacket for that purpose. He found an extruder in the US to make the chambers for $.018 each in 1,000,000 lots. He then looked outside the US and found an extruder in China that does them for $.02 in 100K lots. Want to guess where his chambers are made?

FWIW: J4 used to start their decent price breaks at 100K, and that is not a real big order to a custom bullet maker! If you want to get a stateside extruder's attention you'll need to think in lots MUCH larger than that.

Mountain Prepper
07-31-2011, 03:59 PM
I would imagine IF you could find someone to make those you would have to know a foreign language. I wouldn't even try to look in this country, when I would quote a job in a job shop other countries already had you out bid before you even bought the material.

Actually english is the standard international language of business at the moment.

Hammer
08-01-2011, 09:45 AM
My wife has a small casting (not bullets) business. She created a website to show off her products. She received an email from a Chinese casting company willing to partner with her to make her castings.

If there is an interest in using one of my former "areas of interest", I can try and get the person that sent my wife the email to have a shell maker contact me....

That would be rich. The federal government sells expended brass scrap to China and we would be buying copper back from China... Wonder who is getting rich off of whom....

Another excuse to get my FFL.....

Ed

GRUMPA
08-01-2011, 10:58 AM
If there is an interest in using one of my former "areas of interest", I can try and get the person that sent my wife the email to have a shell maker contact me....

That would be rich. The federal government sells expended brass scrap to China and we would be buying copper back from China... Wonder who is getting rich off of whom....

Ed

Kinda makes a person wonder how a manufacturer so far away can ship from overseas to point of destination and still be cheaper than a company in your own state.

And it would be an interesting prospect to investigate further into that (Order from overseas). I was thinking of doing that and did some research on something totally unrelated to this. Got as for as needing an import broker and said the heck with it.

DukeInFlorida
08-01-2011, 02:33 PM
The "loaded labor rate" in most parts of China is 5 cents an hour. That includes company provided housing.

That wasn't a mis-type.

five cents an hour. Not fifty cents. Five cents an hour.

Wonder why all the manufacturing is going there?

They pay the same $$$ for raw materials as any other company.

One of my big customers completely closed their US production (700+ employees gone), and now ONLY manufactures parts for the appliance industry in Mexico and China.

Grapeshot
08-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Kinda makes a person wonder how a manufacturer so far away can ship from overseas to point of destination and still be cheaper than a company in your own state.

It's called SLAVE LABOR!

Mountain Prepper
08-05-2011, 04:07 PM
It's called SLAVE LABOR!

It has a more ominous tone when referred to more accurately as wage slavery where the little birds fight over the scraps voluntarily.

ReloaderFred
08-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Back to the original post. It could be that if Dave Corbin made his own jackets there would be a two year wait....... Just a thought.

Fred

Spanners
08-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Back to the original post. It could be that if Dave Corbin made his own jackets there would be a two year wait....... Just a thought.

Fred

Haha nice one :)

MIBULLETS
08-05-2011, 07:30 PM
very funny...but probably the truth!

Spanners
08-05-2011, 07:34 PM
very funny...but probably the truth!

Exactly the truth!

I'm stuck at the moment.
My CSW external punch doesnt fit the punch holder - couple thou too big
The CS punch doesnt fit the jackets

Not bad for a couple of k worth of dies :roll: - about 2 years time I might be able to actually do something :roll:

BLASTER62
08-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Spanners: What brand of jackets are you using, thin wall uses a larger dia punch thick wall ( taper jackets use smaller dia. Also if you have access to a lathe they are easy to make.

7of7
08-06-2011, 01:24 PM
I do know Corbin jackets do not have the same wall thickness from top to bottom, there is a distinct increase in thickness about 1/2 inch from the botom of the jacket. I don't know about other manufacturers..

Mountain Prepper
08-06-2011, 02:35 PM
I do know Corbin jackets do not have the same wall thickness from top to bottom, there is a distinct increase in thickness about 1/2 inch from the botom of the jacket. I don't know about other manufacturers..

He changed to that new design just within the last few years, it is some type of specialized punch made by the company that actually produces the jackets.

I have not used the new jackets as I have lots of jackets from the 80’s and 90’s left over from old stock I kept...

Spanners
08-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Blaster- I've taken a year off to upgrade my Marine Ticket and don't have any lathe access till I get back to work in November.
I dont think I SHOULD have to make a H punch fit a H punch holder - but it DOESNT fit and Corbin DOESN'T give a ****.

The core seat punch is waaaay undersize possibly made for a special jacket, but is miles off a 'Corbin' jacket

BLASTER62
08-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Spanners: Your right tou should not have to mfg tooling for his dies unless you want to, I do it if I cant wait for one. When I order from Dave I tell him what I want to make and brand of jackets I will be using including weights. Depending on what you are doing you may need different dia & length's. You can send a sample and they will fit to your need's, He has always treated me well.

BLASTER62
08-07-2011, 02:49 PM
7of7: The Corbin jackets have a large taper at the base, the Berger has a slight taper the Sierra has a slight taper and is a thinner jacket The Corbin's are not suited to a heavy swage they will show more run out. The Berger & Sierra will from better do to the longer taper and they will show a .0 to.3 run out on my Junke machine that is as good as any bench rest boolit.

7of7
08-07-2011, 09:43 PM
I asked Dave who he has make his jackets.. He has used Spivco, JR, Winchester to name a few. Basically it gets down to what company can make them per specifications, and can hold those specifications.. and it really doesn't matter what their primary business is, it is if they have the equipment that will work and can make them at a reasonable price. So, it could be Speer, Sierra, or even Pfizer (if they have the equipment) But basically it is who can do the job for the cheapest, and stay within tolerances specified.
Anthony

Spanners
08-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Spanners: Your right tou should not have to mfg tooling for his dies unless you want to, I do it if I cant wait for one. When I order from Dave I tell him what I want to make and brand of jackets I will be using including weights. Depending on what you are doing you may need different dia & length's. You can send a sample and they will fit to your need's, He has always treated me well.

Hes not bad - just super, super, super, SUPER slow

However! - a H punch should fit in a H punch holder EVERYTIME - mine doesnt - 10 thou too big.
It can be fixed - just not by me right now