PDA

View Full Version : How to get beautiful boolits

ammohead
07-26-2011, 11:07 PM
I have been casting for about 17 years now. I had a great mentor in the beginning who has since moved from my area but is still available on phone. I have had good luck in my endeavors with many moulds in many diameters and weights. I even started the Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot that still goes on today thanks in no small part to Bruce B for hosting the event in Winnemucca each year.

I have experimented with lots of different alloys and fluxes with decent results. But large runs of near perfect boolits have always alluded me. It seems that there have been some with rounded corners some frosty spots.. always some cause of culls.

This past year at NCBS I picked up a box of Pat Marlin's California Flake Flux at a discount "event" price. Pat is a great guy and I have admired his rockdock equipment but haven't purchased. I kind of snickered at the flux and his claim of a specialized blend of California woods chosen specifically for fluxing quality. Sure....sweep up the shop put it in a box and sell it.

Well last week I used some of Pat's flux. I was casting a NOE group buy heavy 25 at 120 gr. I was having the same reject rate that I was used to and figured I would give Pat's flux a try. I filled the saeco electric furnace with sprues and one ingot, piled a good half inch of California Flake Flux on top and went in to watch a little outdoor channel while it melted and heated up. I came back, stirred the alloy and started pouring perfect boolit after perfect boolit. I don't care if this sounds like a plug for Pat, it is. This stuff worked for me. Day and night difference! No raisins, no rounded corners, no frosty voids, no sh&t!

Is this a miracle blend of exotic woods....probably not. It is most likely just the wood shavings swept up in Pat's shop. I DON'T CARE...IT WORKS! Is it the only blend of wood shavings to provide excellent fluxing...maybe not. This stuff works.

Thanks Pat

ammohead

Matt_G
07-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Yes sir, that CFF is good stuff.
Now you know why I bought two more boxes of it at NCBS this year.
I'm like you Bruce, I don't know why this stuff works so well and I don't really care.
All I know is that it works.

myfriendis410
07-27-2011, 10:37 AM
I experienced the same problems with "odd" bullets for years until I started fluxing with sawdust. What I found though was to really rouse the melt after fluxing, then repeating the flux/rouse process and leave the result on top. It made a huge difference in the look of my finished castings, and the reject rate at the scale went down by half.

07-27-2011, 10:45 AM
My bud at our spring gathering used pine straw and poured beautiful boolits. Nothing like improvisation in the field.

sargenv
07-27-2011, 09:09 PM
I bought some of this when I started casting, and it does make a really nice clean melt.. it cleans up the gunki'est metal you can find.. I am about out of it and getting ready to get another box..

PatMarlin
12-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Just now found this. OK- I'm a little slow sometimes... :mrgreen:

Thank you for the compliments Bruce and everyone.

No CFF is not swept off the shop floor sawdust. I go to a lot of work planing a mix of these woods to make up CFF. Care and time is consumed doing it. There is a special mix, and special trees off of our property here goes into it.

I get numerous compliments from users.

This about sums it up from a recent email:

Pat:

I just wanted to let you know how pleased I am with my recent purchase of your CFF Casting Flux. Having tried many different fluxing products over the past 30+ years, I must admit I was somewhat sceptical regarding the claims made by users of your flux. Not any more!!

This is the greatest flux I've ever used and for the first time in the its
history the pot on my Lee 4-20 continues to remain absolutely clean pot after pot, with no 'crud' buildup on either the sides or bottom and even the valve rod remains clean. All in all, a great product and well worth the money for what will undoubtedly be a lifetime supply.

sleeper1428

Thank you for the compliments sleeper.

Your words speak the truth. There's not much profit in CFF, it's just a good use of one of God's recourses that I don't want to see go to waste.

The Shasta Trinity National Forest thanks you as well. Not the fools that run it, but Mother Nature.

Thank you for your kindness, business, and support.

Happy shooting,

Pat... :drinks:

Patmarlins™ -Specialty Products for Casting and Reloading
West Coast Engineering
http://www.Patmarlins.com

pdawg_shooter
12-02-2011, 05:34 PM
A friend of mine uses wheat straw and swears it works great. Go figure.

PatMarlin
12-03-2011, 12:50 AM
Was his first name Petey? ...:evil: ....:mrgreen:

Suo Gan
12-03-2011, 03:07 AM
The Shasta Trinity National Forest thanks you as well. Not the fools that run it, but Mother Nature.

http://www.Patmarlins.com

That is some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen.

Pat, Have you ever tapped a sugar pine? I am going to give it a try next spring.