PDA

View Full Version : What size ladle for smelting / ingots?

Oreo
07-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Full disclosure: I'm a newb to casting.

I'm in the market for a bottom-pour ladle for smelting & casting ingots. I'm wondering if there are any disadvantages to going with the Rowell #5 instead of the #4. The #4 is a 4" diameter bowl & has a 4.5lb capacity. The #5 has a 5" diameter bowl & a 9lb capacity.

I'm thinking the larger size will make the ingot casting process more efficient but it may be harder to scoop lead from the pot as the level gets low. Not sure how much better it would be with the #4 though. Figured you guys would know.

Thanks!

rollmyown
07-26-2011, 11:46 PM
I am thinking either a #3 or a #4

9lbs seems like alot of lead. 4 to 4 1/2 should be much more managable. That said I'm not speaking from experience, as I don't use a Rowell ladle. Mine is an antique and I would guess it is in the 4 - 5lb capacity range

I guess it somewhat depends on how many ingots you want to cast in a session, and how big they are.

GabbyM
07-26-2011, 11:49 PM
I just use a stainless steal soup ladle. Made in USA. Just be careful you get one with a securely attached handle that won’t fall apart aka made in China.

snuffy
07-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Here's a couple of pics of the Rowell #3 and #4 ladles being used while smelting range lead;

#3.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/arrow/websize/P4110013.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/arrow/websize/P4110019.JPG
http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/arrow/websize/P4110018.JPG

As you can see, the #3 is a one handed operation. Holds about 3.5# of alloy. The #4, if full, 4.5#, is a two handed affair. It has a sliding handle on it so it stays cool, but some good gloves are needed.

mold maker
07-31-2011, 02:24 PM
Too big a ladle is not an advantage. They get really heavy in short order. If your pouring 4 one lb ingots, a 4 1/2 lb ladle is plenty. One dip will pour the whole ingot mold. Handling more weight will actually slow you down. A smaller ladle means dipping twice to fill the mold.
If you use the soup dipper, it will take two dips to pour a 4 ingot mold, but the dipper weighs next to nothing.

LabGuy
08-01-2011, 06:40 PM
I use a Rowell #4. I can fill a 4 cavity Lyman or RCBS ingot mould with one ladle full. That is until the pot is too low to fill the ladle completely.

waynem34
08-03-2011, 04:33 PM
I like the ladles I think I will get a #4 and a#1 if possible.They look very sturdy and would last.Thanks

Oreo
08-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Hmm.... I got the no. 5. Sure hope I don't regret it.

sargenv
08-03-2011, 06:20 PM
I use a 3 oz Stainless steel ladle (meant for liquid not lead measure) and an 8 oz stainless ladle for making multiple pours.. I use the corn cob cast iron molds.. the 3 oz pours a single cob, and the 8 oz pours 3 cobs.. depends on how much of a hurry I am in.. they heat up quick and are one piece.. Am kind of curious why there are so many spatters...my cloth drop cloth doesn't look like that...

MikeS
08-07-2011, 01:40 PM
I have a #1 and it's really too small for filling ingot moulds. I want to get a #3, but now I'm thinking maybe a #4 would be the better one to get, with the sliding handle, it would probably be easier to handle considering that you can hold it closer to the bowl once it's been filled. Are the #3's still made with a metal handle like the pictures on Rotometals shows?