PDA

View Full Version : Folding Front Sight??

ohiochuck
07-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Can anyone tell if there is an advantage using a folding front sight with a tang sight vs. standard barrel sights? Winchester lever action rifle.
Thanks!
Jim

waksupi
07-27-2011, 12:07 AM
Great if you use a saddle scabbard.

Bret4207
07-27-2011, 08:30 AM
Which sight do you mean- the front is up near the muzzle, is someone making a front sight that folds over? If you mean the rear sight, the tang mounted sight gives a longer sight radius, often ahs far more adjustment than a standard barrel sight and is faster than an open sight like any peep. All at the cost of being more fragile and usually getting in the way of your hand.

Char-Gar
07-27-2011, 10:48 AM
I have seen a few folding front sights on vintage rifles. When folded down they did not get bent or broken. They were turned up when in the field. Costly little buggers to make, but worked fine if you thought you needed such a thing.

I have seen these gizmos on Winchester leverguns and British double rifles.

waksupi
07-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Bret, they are the old style Beech sight.

rhbrink
07-27-2011, 12:02 PM
I think that a copy of the Beech is still made maybe Buffalo Arms has them.

Canuck Bob
07-27-2011, 03:29 PM
The Beech folder has a flat post or a pin and bead within a circle depending on which sight is up. Buffalo Arms sells them as well as Pedersoli and Montana Vintage Arms.

http://www.montanavintagearms.com/combo_front.html

from MVA's site

ohiochuck
07-27-2011, 05:06 PM
I was hoping someone on the forum had used the Lyman tang combination sight and the Beach combination front sight or the Winchester combination front sight on a Winchester lever action such as the 1892 rifle. Hoping to hear if it provided any greater hunting accuracy at reasonable ranges.
Thanks for all replies!
Jim

Bret4207
07-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Bret, they are the old style Beech sight.

Oh, okay, forget about those. Isn't that the one that offers a hooded sight or a bead? I wanted one for my Stevens 44 but the prices in Ebay at the time were outrageous. I always like the idea of a hooded target sight and a nice bead for hunting in the same rig.

herbert buckland
07-27-2011, 06:47 PM
They work very well, with mine I youse the hooded sight for 50yds and have filed down the post slitly for a 100yds,this work great for leaver action compititions,no adjustments to foget just flip the sight

EDK
07-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Oh, okay, forget about those. Isn't that the one that offers a hooded sight or a bead?............................................. ................................ I always like the idea of a hooded target sight and a nice bead for hunting in the same rig.

Take a look at a LYMAN #17 front sight. If the apertures supplied with it don't suit, BUFFALO ARMS among others, offer a card of additional appertures. The #17 isn't terribly expensive, has a positive way of locking the apertures in, and mine have given good service on various MARLIN lever guns. It isn't as deluxe as the MVA windgauge front sight on my SHILOH SHARPS 50/90, but it is considerably cheaper.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Larry Gibson
07-27-2011, 11:17 PM
The blade sight (on Beech sights or Lyman 5-B) is used with the open rear sight on the barrel for quicker closer range shots. The hooded pin sight is flipped up to use with the tang sight for more precise or longer range shots. Many rifles had both rear sights.

Sometimes one encounters one where the hooded pin sight or blade is the standard sight and when flipped down a larger ivory or white bead comes up for low light conditions. There are probably some other variations but those are the predominant uses I've seen with the Beech type front sights.

Larry Gibson