PDA

View Full Version : Wood for Falling Block Works Action

walkswithsticks
07-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Long time shooter, caster, reloader, and lurker. I need a little help today.

I have been looking a nice little rifle for sale in 32/40 in a Falling Block Works Action. The problem lies with the unfinished, left handed target stock. I would really like to pick up the rifle to complete my cartridge series of 45/70, 38/55, and hopefully 32/40.

Does anyone know of a source of stocks to fit these actions? I could even do a little finish work if need be.

Thanks,
Bill

4060MAY
07-26-2011, 04:09 PM
http://www.singleshotrifles.com/otherstocks.html

walkswithsticks
07-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the help. Nice web site and reasonable prices. I like the idea of being able to supply my own wood.

Bill

lkydvl
07-27-2011, 06:24 PM
I can highly recommend Dave Crossno as well!

http://www.angelfire.com/ok5/crossnostocks/

bigted
07-28-2011, 05:41 AM
a hearty hello from the frozen state and a deep felt welcome to the forum...this can be a home for the weary or a perplexing place for the study-ers. have a ball here and know that for the most part...there are very knowledgeable folks here that will try very hard to steer ya in the rite direction.

keep us up-dated on your 32-40 project or any others you wanna yack about.

shooter37
07-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Also try George Peterson at Treebone Carving...... Google "treebone"

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-31-2011, 06:14 PM
Working with your own wood, just make sure you have the correct layout and follow through on the grain.

A friend bought what looked like a very nice piece of wood, and it was nice looking.

Then he sent it off to have it inleted.

Then he fitted it to the RUGER #1 action and then brought it to me to glass.

That is where the problems started, rather where it ENDED.

There was plenty of fault to go around here.

#1, the seller should NEVER have sold the wood for a two piece stock! BIG Shame on him!!!!!

#2, Don should have been wood wise enough to see it was not laid out correctly!

#3, the fellow who did the machine inletting, I suspect they have been there and done a lot of that, should have returned it to Don, uncut and never machined it. Also big SHAME on him!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 Don should have known better.

#5 I should have seen the problem before I started the glassing!!!!!

DUMB ME!!!!! WHY??? didn't I see that?

The butt stocked stock snapped right off at the wrist due to the faulty layout and follow through of the grain structure. Instead of the grain running through the wrist and into the butt, the grain ran cross ways of the wrist/grip.

Extremely weak! It was going to break, the only question was, when.

To bad it let go on my watch, as it cost me 200 - 300 bucks to replace that wood, through no fault of my own other then being stupid and not paying attention.

So, your own wood is nice but check it out before putting any effort or money into inletting or finishing!!!!!

Same goes for anyone other then reputable wood dealers. Beware of the gunshow wood dealers!

With a reputable and well know wood dealer, you will just not have that problem

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot