PDA

View Full Version : Removing mold release from Lee molds

Marlin Junky
07-26-2011, 03:52 AM
I have a borrowed Lee 6-cavity mold that's been "plated" with some form of mold release. I was able to removed some of it with GumOut brand aerosol carb cleaner but I still have a long way to go before the mold is clean. How do you all remove this garbage from aluminum mold cavities? Should I buy a can of liquid carb cleaner and let the mold soak overnight?

Thanks,
MJ

DLCTEX
07-26-2011, 09:28 AM
That's what I would do. With the mould owners permission of course.

LIMPINGJ
07-26-2011, 10:27 AM
I have used Alcohol.

Kraschenbirn
07-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Use caution with the "liquid carb cleaner." Some of those are pretty caustic and and extended immersion can (literally!) dissolve the softer alloys of aluminum. (Don't ask how I know.)

Bill

Wally
07-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Use caution with the "liquid carb cleaner." Some of those are pretty caustic and and extended immersion can (literally!) dissolve the softer alloys of aluminum. (Don't ask how I know.)

Bill

I use Gumout--works just fine on all Mold types..do damage. Don't use Chlorinated Brake Cleaner on a hot mold however as it can make a toxic gas...

cabezaverde
07-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Acetone and a toothbrush works for me.

BCall
07-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Like cabezaverde posted, a toothbrush. I found that on some used molds I bought, carb cleaner alone would not remove the mold release. But sprayed with some carb cleaner, and the brushed with a soft toothbrush, then sprayed again, took it off clean as a whistle.

williamwaco
07-26-2011, 12:27 PM
I use Berryman's B-12 and a toothbrush.

Berryman's is sold as a carb cleaner and it is very good. I use it as a general purpose degreaser and gun cleaner. It does a better job at one fourth the price of cleaners like "Gun Scrubber".

I have used it frequently on Lee molds with no problems.

Marlin Junky
07-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Thank you... sounds like I already have all the stuff I need. Never heard of Berryman's B-12, though. Where can I find that brand?

MJ

plainsman456
07-26-2011, 04:25 PM
You should be able to find it at auto zone,O'rileys or any other auto parts store.

shotman
07-26-2011, 04:37 PM
fantastic will do better most is a carbon spray with a starch base. Dawn makes a power scrub that works fast but dont leave it on a AL mold long it will eat AL

CPL Lou
07-26-2011, 10:04 PM
I know this may sound kind of 'cheap', but I have used Hoppe's #9 (the original stuff) with a nylon brush and it works like a charm !

shawnsmc
07-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Ed's Red works really good too. Its cheap and has lots of uses, one of which is removing mold release off of lee molds.

skeet1
07-26-2011, 10:51 PM
I agree with cabezaverde acetone and a toothbrush. Acetone is a great solvent I use it with Q-tips regularly for cleaning moulds.

Ken

Marlin Junky
07-28-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm making some progress with acetone and Gumout carb cleaner but still have some build up in the seam area. I found the B-12 at O'Reilly's but it was about 3x to 4x the price of Gumout's version at Wally World. I'll try "Fantastic" tonight... thanks for the suggestion.

A couple years ago, I soaked a piece bright shinny scrap aluminum (from a local metals recycler) in Hoppe's#9 for a few days and the result was a piece of oxidized aluminum.

MJ

Marlin Junky
07-30-2011, 04:21 AM
"Fantastik" is gettin' er done better than acetone, denatured alcohol and carb cleaner! Thanks for the suggestion, Shotman.

MJ

trixter
07-30-2011, 09:56 AM
I went with toothbrush and comet it works real well
Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk

casterofboolits
08-01-2011, 10:10 AM
EvapoRust not only removes rust but will also remove mold prep and blueing!

williamwaco
08-01-2011, 09:15 PM
I found the B-12 at O'Reilly's but it was about 3x to 4x the price of Gumout's version at Wally World.

MJ

Really?

B-12 is only 3 bucks for a large spray bottle at my auto parts store.

Next time, I will look at thje Gumout.

No_1
08-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Carb cleaner, the cheap stuff is just as good as the good stuff.

Sonnypie
08-01-2011, 10:37 PM

Bill

I know how you know because I know...
And it isn't something you want to know the way we both know...
Ya know? :violin:

A painter buddy of mine helped me out one time removing some stuff with Lacquer Thinner.
He told me it is a pretty darn good solvent for a lot of stuff.

Oh, I remember now. It was melted heal from a girls boot on my rear pipe. Took that burned on gunk right off without wreckin the chrome.
Well not "right off", there was a bit of elbow grease, too.

So you might try that instead of nasty things like carb cleaner.