PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Pork Chops

BPCR Bill
07-26-2011, 12:42 AM
Before I begin, I am not trying to plagiarize Myron Mixon, but I did a take on one of his recipes for the smoker that was just wonderful. He has a recipe for bacon wrapped chicken breasts that turned out pretty good, so I tried it on pork chops.
The methodology behind this is Mixons as well.

This recipe was done with two boneless loin chops a bit over an inch thick. Season to taste with a nice dry rub and let sit for at least 45 minutes. Take two slices of thick sliced bacon and wrap around the sides of the chops, securing with a toothpick. Heat the smoker to about 300 degrees, and place a small pan of water in the smoker. Put apple chips in the chip box and get them going. Spray the inside of an aluminum baking pan with pam, and place the chops inside the pan. When the smoker is up to 300 degrees and the wood is starting to burn, put the chops in for an hour. During the last 15 minutes of cooking you can brush on a sauce of your choosing. Remove the chops and loosely cover with foil, and let rest for 5 minutes.

The pan method really keeps clean up simple, and in no way impedes the smoking. If you have a large enough smoker like I do, you can do multiple pans on different shelves if you have a big feed to do. My smoker also has a large water pan above the chip box, so keeping the meat moist is easy.

Changeling
07-26-2011, 05:58 PM
BPCR what brand smoker or you using, and your thoughts on it?

BPCR Bill
07-27-2011, 12:51 AM
It's actually a "BBQ GrillWare" smoker that I picked up at Lowes. It's a stand-up smoker about 4 feet tall. It has the propane burner at the bottom, with the chip box on top of that. The water pan sits above the chip box. The only thing I don't like about it is there is only one door, no seperate door to service the chip box. When you open it some heat gets out pretty quick. It's not particularly efficient in cooler weather, so I normally put some charcoal briqettes in with the wood chips and wrap it in a water heater blanket. If there is anything I've learned about smoking, it's an art. And you really have to pay attention to whats going on if you want the food to turn out great. The water pan is useful for cooking and imparting smoke to the meats. If you happen to be "curing" by smoking, the water pan comes out. I smoke alot of salmon and tuna this way, as well as jerky.