PDA

View Full Version : HP mold for a 500 S/W

Beagler
07-26-2011, 12:37 AM
Does anybody know of any commercially made HP molds for the 500 S/W. I have been shooting the Lee 440 grainer. I love the bullet for its great penetration performance, but would also like a HP to play with. I'm sure lee could make on the same dementions of the 440 grainer with a HP but would have to pay the 150 set up fee. Raypine custom mold shop is only about 5 min from my house if it still in business. Tried calling one time to get a oo buck shot mold made and an old lady would answer and have no clue what i was talking about. Then found lees oo buck shot mold.

Beagler
07-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Called Lee and they will not make a custom HP mold. So much for "we will make the bullet to your specs". Called Lyman to see if they would possibly have a HP in the works for the future and it was "not at this time". I guess I will be playing with the drill press and making a centering/holding jig for the bullet. It will give me something to do instead of melting outside in this terrible humidity/heat. Also did some scroungin around and found that Rapine mold co. has closed he retired and shut the doors

Rangefinder
07-26-2011, 11:57 AM
As soon as I have a little time, I'm doing a write-up about how to HP your own Lee molds without a lot of expensive tooling. Take a look at my thread from a few days ago about HP'ing my .40. It's not as difficult as it seems.

turbo1889
07-26-2011, 05:00 PM
It all depends on how much you are willing to pay of course but I were you I would ask Tom @ Accurate Molds(.com) to make you a single cavity mold that was a copy of the Lee boolit design you like and then send the mold to Eric @ Hollow Point Mold(.com) and have him convert it to a HP mold for you. If you go with a standard pin type HP conversion including shipping and all you should be able to have what you want at less then $150

I have done that process several times myself namely having Tom @ AM cut the main mold cavity minus the hollow point and then sending it to Eric @ HPM and having him do the work to make it a hollow point mold. Both individuals and the companies they run are master craftsman in their particular areas and the finished result is a mold that is a quality tool built to your specs.

micky_blue
07-27-2011, 03:16 PM
MiHec makes or made one. I don't know if he has any left.

longbow
07-27-2011, 08:30 PM
It isn't on the schedule yet but is coming:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=111533

Longbow

Frozone
07-27-2011, 08:52 PM
This (http://www.mp-molds.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=14&=SID) is a great one.
I had to use the solid point photo but it comes in HP too.
I don't know if or when it'll be available, but it's a real shooter.

Beagler
07-29-2011, 12:08 AM
MiHec makes or made one. I don't know if he has any left.

I contacted him and he has them in a brass for little over 100 bucks He is checking into another mold for me. Thanks for the info

fredj338
07-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Yep, Erik @ HPMS is the way to go, but I don't think he works on Lee molds. Mihec's stff is first rate as well.

turbo1889
07-30-2011, 05:25 PM
. . . Erik @ HPMS . . . I don't think he works on Lee molds. . .

He does work on Lee molds, but he will only do hollow point conversions on Lee six cavity molds. He will do other modifications to the one and two cavity molds like GC anb BB removal and conversion to PB. He just won't do hollow point conversions on the one and two cavity Lee molds (the hardened steel alignment pins get in the way I think). He will do hollow point conversions on the Lee six cavity molds.