PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 45 Alignment problem

texas tenring
01-13-2007, 11:35 PM
I've got an old Lyman 45 lube sizer thats a little out of alignment. With a top punch .304 outside dia. it hits the inside of a .312 sizing die on the side where the thumb screw locks the top punch. I tried shimming the guide rod on the right side with brass shim stock, it helped a little but not much. I know that this is pobably not that big of a problem with short pistol boolits but I'm sizing long rifle boolits and it really shows up. I can roll a unsized boolit accoss a smooth surface and it rolls smoothly but a sized boolit shows deformation.

I smoked the top punch and cycled the sizer it left a clear mark on the punch where it hits I hope you can see this in the photo.

Any suggestions on how to correct this problem?

montana_charlie
01-14-2007, 01:52 AM
Just have to guess at things at this point, tt.

Is the hole for the top punch cylindrical?
If it's wider at the top than it is at the bottom, tightening the thumbscrew might be causing it to tilt the bottom of the top punch toward the left/front of the sizing die.

Another thing to look at is...after removing your brass shim(s)...
With no top punch installed, bring the press down on a bullet that is just partially into the sizing die.
Push down hard enough to leave a ring on the bullet nose (if it's pointed or round)...or scribe around the inside of the top punch hole if the bullet nose is flat.

Looking at the bullet, does the hole seem to be centered on the bullet?

Are both guide rods straight?
Do they fit (with no slop) in the long holes in the cast iron base?
CM

floodgate
01-14-2007, 02:48 AM
texas tenring:

I suspect your #45 has been over-strained at some point in its history. But, to be sure, try rotating the top punch 180* and see if the problem persists, at the same point relative to the die; i.e., on the opposite side of the punch. That would indicate a bent frame, or an off-center die. If on the same side of the punch, after rotating it through 180* it means an off-center punch. To check for an off-center die, put the punch back in the original position, and try reinstalling the die 180* from its previous position; the smoke marks should move to match.

Another thing to check, though, before you give up, is to loosen the set-screw that holds the die body, until it just barely keeps it from pushing out when you eject a bullet. These older dies can be forced off-center guite a way by too much pressure from the set-screw; that's why they went to the keeper nut on the #450 (with is damnably fine thread, so easy to cross-thread). I have also seen it recommended NOT to use the set screw to hold the punch in the upper mount, but to wipe a heavy grease on the stem to hold it in place, but allow it to center itself. But the smoke pattern is off to one side from the top-punch set-screw, so that doesn't look like the problem here. If the whole lube-sizer is worn out, you can break it down for parts - which are always in demand here, especially the pressure nut and screw, handle, links and pins - and probably make enough to buy a good used one here or on eBay

floodgate

texas tenring
01-14-2007, 04:46 PM
texas tenring:

Another thing to check, though, before you give up, is to loosen the set-screw that holds the die body, until it just barely keeps it from pushing out when you eject a bullet. These older dies can be forced off-center guite a way by too much pressure from the set-screw; that's why they went to the keeper nut on the #450 (with is damnably fine thread, so easy to cross-thread).
floodgate

floodgate you hit the nail on the head. There is quite a bit of tolerance between sizer die body and the luber body. You can actually see the die move towards the back when you tighten the set screw and any amount of presure at all moves the die off center.

I made a shim out of aluminum adheasive tape (a couple of layers) just below the o-ring and above the lube ports in the die. This seems to of corrected the alignment issue, I'll have to try it on a warmer day (shop temp very cold today) and see if this causes any lube to leak, I don't think it will.

The old press works well in every other respect but I can see that this is definatley a flaw in the design.

I attached a photo, if anyone has anymore words of wisdom please let me know and thanks for both the previous replys.:drinks: