PDA

View Full Version : Solder with rosin

odinohi
07-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Is this any good for boolits? I have been buying solder when I find it at garage sales. A couple rolls are 50/50 and a couple are unmarked but have a rosin core. I have one roll that is a very fine string of solder. Any idea what that one is? It is also unmarked. When I have enough can I melt it all together into small ingots then have it tested at the scrapyard.

Thanks, Tom

Baron von Trollwhack
07-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Just use the 50/50 as it is in alloying. Test the others.

BvT

treadhead1952
07-25-2011, 07:58 PM
You can use the rosin core solder, just don't try to use any that is acid core based. No need to add acid to your alloy and run it through your moulds (especially steel ones) or your rifle or pistol barrels. If you can't identify the core material of any roll of solder, just pass on it.

Ole
07-25-2011, 08:18 PM
A lot of my solder is resin core and no problems. Just smokes a bit when it's melting.

Acid core stuff: Melt it in your smelting pot into silver-dollar-sized ingots. I bought a bunch of that from ebaY a while back and got it really cheap ($30ish for around 18 lbs). Been a long time since i've seen any go that cheap though.

lwknight
07-26-2011, 01:07 AM
You can use the rosin core solder, just don't try to use any that is acid core based. No need to add acid to your alloy and run it through your moulds (especially steel ones) or your rifle or pistol barrels. If you can't identify the core material of any roll of solder, just pass on it.

You cannot actually add acid to the alloy as stated. You can however get acid all over everything. I melted my acid core solder separately in a throw away can and kept the heat low as I could then washed the ingots in warm soapy water.

Also the acid is zinc-cloride and will get trace zinc in the alloy. I believe that it is so little percentage that it will be of no consequence.

cajun shooter
07-26-2011, 08:28 AM
I found a huge box of rosin core solder for sale at Home Depot. It was a $1 a roll and I purchased what was left. While melting into ingots just light the fumes as it burns off. Makes for great tin source.

odinohi
07-26-2011, 06:04 PM
I found a huge box of rosin core solder for sale at Home Depot. It was a $1 a roll and I purchased what was left. While melting into ingots just light the fumes as it burns off. Makes for great tin source.

Any idea what the tin content was?

leadman
07-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Most rosin core is 60/30. The rosin makes a great flux, as this it what it is designed for.

If I have any acid core solder I add it when smelting in a hot pot. Just lay it on the top and the acid burns off. Stay upwind.

The solder that comes from most radiator shops was acid core or fluxed with acid originally.

garym1a2
07-26-2011, 09:30 PM
If your are smelting wheel weights just thru in a lb of rosin core solder to 25 lbs of wheels weights gets you a decent mix of tin and the rosin is a great flux.

shotman
07-26-2011, 09:42 PM
pine knots work good too. but bet many dont know were to find pine knots

MBTcustom
07-28-2011, 10:00 PM
I have a lot of experience with eutectic solder. Be prepared, that rosin turns black and sticks to every metal surface you have and it produces about as much smoke as wet straw. (I am of course talking about large amounts like 50 lb.) I would not smelt it in any container that you will be casting out of. If that shight gets in your molds you will have a fun time cleaning them.:violin:

randyrat
07-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Smelting the rosin core you will have some black nasty stuff floating on the top. Put some saw dust on top of it and stir a bit, the saw dust will pick it up. Pick/ scoop it out with a slotted spoon and dispose of it inside a throw away container. I've melted a couple hundred pounds of it before.

lwknight
07-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Great idea on the saw dust. The eutectic solder melts at low enough temperatures that the rosin does not burn off all that well.
I saw a video where a guy took several types of straw and hay to a large bowl with water and motor oil mixed. The straw cleaned 99% of the oil easily. It could be similar on rosin floating on solder.

izzyjoe
07-29-2011, 06:54 PM
sawdust works very well, and if you can get some cedar sawdust, that stuff smells pretty, i don't think i would use pineknot as it is real sooty. i've used it for year's to start a fires, but it leaves a stove pipe pretty nasty.