PDA

View Full Version : Sources of zinc

odinohi
07-25-2011, 06:47 PM
I learned here at Cast Boolits many sources of lead and it has been paying off ever since. What are some sources of zinc.

Thanks, Tom

lwknight
07-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Pennies. You can buy them by the millions.
A zinc penny wighs 39 grains or so.
A pound of zinc pennies would be about $1.80 .

odinohi
07-31-2011, 07:25 PM
So far I have found a few heavy lamps at garage sales. This had a ton of dross that you had to waste. Part of the gernades for gernade launchers. Again, a pretty heavy dross you had to waste. The cleanest zinc I melted were the zinc ww's. Very little dross. So far I'm guessing I have about 120lbs. I'm keeping all my zinc stuff, zinc ingots,pot, stirring tools, ladle up in the loft above my barn so there will be no accidental contaminations. Kinda a drag lifting it all up there, but its just better. So, any more sources?

Tom

Suo Gan
07-31-2011, 08:19 PM
Wheel weights.

leadman
08-01-2011, 12:42 AM
I have a friend in Texas that is a civil war renactor and they go to the junkyard and get old carbs to melt for their cannonballs. I saw a ball he had, looked pretty good. Reusable too!

odinohi
08-01-2011, 02:58 AM
I have a friend in Texas that is a civil war renactor and they go to the junkyard and get old carbs to melt for their cannonballs. I saw a ball he had, looked pretty good. Reusable too!

Any idea how old the carbs need to be? This is something I will check out. Thanks again, Tom

bumpo628
08-01-2011, 12:10 PM
If you put a WTB or WTT ad in the selling forum here, I'm sure you'll get plenty of takers. I have about 30 lbs or so that I've separated from my WW purchases. I bet lots of other casters have been saving zinc too.

odinohi
08-02-2011, 12:15 AM
If you put a WTB or WTT ad in the selling forum here, I'm sure you'll get plenty of takers. I have about 30 lbs or so that I've separated from my WW purchases. I bet lots of other casters have been saving zinc too.

I will do that as last resort. I just got a few carbs and some other old car parts that I think are zinc. I'll smelt them down and get it tested to be sure. Not sure what a fair price to pay would be, but right now I'm trying to find free stuff.
Thanks, Tom

Scout800a
08-03-2011, 10:44 AM
What are you going to do with Zinc?

bowfin
08-03-2011, 11:16 AM
My brother in law has some large bricks of zinc which I believe were used in a galvanizing tank at one of the local factories. His now deceased father had used them for leveling blocks for his camper.

So one might want to check around any place that they do galvanizing...

odinohi
08-03-2011, 07:14 PM
What are you going to do with Zinc?

Eventually make sinkers. Gotta get a big supply first. I melted a carburater and some old window crack mechanism from a older mobile home, older car window cracks, a couple of older fuel pumps. Tried to melt a couple of water spicket cranks, they wouldnt melt. Only part of the carb melted, but there are a spitload of old junk carbs laying around everywhere. Lots of little pieces of brass and copper in carbs also. Man, I think I'm turning into a junkyard dog!

BAGTIC
08-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Old water heaters. Many of them have a large zinc anode to inhibit corrosion. Might be able to get some scrap from a boatyard as many boats use zinc anodes for the same purpose. Most outboard motors will have zinc anodes that occassionally need replacement.oru

para45lda
08-06-2011, 07:32 PM
+1 on boatyards

randyrat
08-06-2011, 08:07 PM
I'll start saving Zinc WWs for you. Sell them real cheap. We can all start saving Zinc for you. When we get a Med USPS box full we can ship them your way. They weigh less than lead , so it will be tough to fit 50 lbs in the box.

odinohi
08-07-2011, 04:45 AM
I'll start saving Zinc WWs for you. Sell them real cheap. We can all start saving Zinc for you. When we get a Med USPS box full we can ship them your way. They weigh less than lead , so it will be tough to fit 50 lbs in the box.

Thanks Randy!

a.squibload
08-07-2011, 08:47 PM
...I'll smelt them down and get it tested to be sure....

Cheap easy and non-toxic test:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=83978&highlight=citric+acid+zinc+test