PDA

View Full Version : Lee Alox....

quiknot
01-13-2007, 10:38 PM
going back to my brass collapsing issue.....after doing some checking it seems my Lee turret press has collected some Alox in the bullet seating / crimping die....i cleaned it out the best i could and then used some bullets without the Alox...they seemed to go ok....then use a few with Alox and worked as well....i then tried to give a a bit more crimp (1/8 turn) and the cases collapsed....so i had to move it back....it just looks like it is not realy crimped, tho i feel a slight resistence while seating / crimping...

does anyone know of something to remove some of the Alox, so i can not get the build up....thinking i added too much when coating them...it has worked well on others, maybe i got to greedy or confident

anyone know if other ways to lube the boolits..i normally tumble lube them..something not sticky...

thanks

imashooter2
01-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Mineral spirits or bore cleaner will disolve the LLA.

44man
01-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Are you seating the boolits to the top of the crimp groove before trying to crimp? Some lube in the die should not collapse the brass. Sounds like you are doing something wrong with the die.

35remington
01-13-2007, 11:52 PM
I agree with 44. Lube in the die, assuming it is not absolutely clogged, should not collapse the cases. Most likely a collapsed case is due to variations in case length, with the collapsed one being way too long.

This is crimping 101, but I'm wondering if you're doing it properly?

Make sure your cases are identical in length. Back off the die so it does not crimp. Seat the bullet to the crimp groove. Then, back off the seating stem a good amount, reinsert the cartridge in the shellholder and the run the ram all the way up. Turn the die down until the die contacts the case mouth. Adjust downward for the proper crimp. Turn the seating stem down until it contacts the bullet. You're set.

Turning the die in without taking the seating stem into consideration both increases the crimp and increases the seating depth simultaneously. Make sure to adjust one at a time. Crimping in a separate step might also help sort out what is wrong.

bruce drake
01-14-2007, 12:03 AM
Milsurp CLP does a great job of clearing my dies.

IcerUSA
01-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Had same type problem with some 9mm loads, setup of dies was right, cleaned them with carb spray cleaner and did get some dirt and LLA to come out, and got another collaps of brass, then just for the heck of it I took some of my diluted Lee Case Lube and sprayed the seating die and it seemed to help, might have a small burr in the seating die:confused: going to have to take mine out of the turret head and check it out and might have to polish it up a little, can't hurt to try I guess:???: Good luck and let us know what you find out :)