PDA

View Full Version : Federal Champion ll 399 primers

bandit7.5
07-25-2011, 03:33 AM
I have been gifted 2 bricks of Fed 399 primers. I cannot find data in any of my load manuals. Any information would be welcome.

Dan in DeFuniak

shaggist
10-23-2011, 10:13 PM
The 1975 Dupont Handloader's Guide list a number of 'recipes' for loads in the Target section that use 399 primers. If my memory is correct, they were a little bit cooler than the 209s, and gave a little less recoil and fewer FPS than the 209s. They were used primarily in 12 gauge, 1 1/8 oz. trap and skeet loads.
If you want particular load date for them, it depends on whether you are using Remington RXP hulls, W-W AAs, Federal Plastic Champions, Federal Paper Champions, what powder and how much, and what wad.
I still have a copy of the pamphlet, which gives the exact loadings for the above shells. It is interesting reading, and, since I have been out of the trap reloading scene for 30+ years, I don't know what hulls are reloadable these days and what wads are available, so I can't advise on those items.
If you want to use these primers, you should be able to substitute them 1 for 1 with 209s, as they are less powerful and produce lower pressures with the same load.

bandit7.5
10-25-2011, 10:00 AM
this helps a lot
thanks much