PDA

View Full Version : 30-30 in a lee turret

cavalrymedic
07-25-2011, 01:40 AM
I couldn't find this question in any searches, so here goes. I tried using my Lee Turret today for 30-30. I recently re-re-replaced the nylon ratchet so I was looking forward to some auto-indexing reloading. It makes my 30 carbine reloading go VERY smoothly. Problem is, with the 30-30 case, after I put in the boolit (lee C309-150 FN) the auto-index makes the turret rotate before the boolit is clear of the seating die. Same problem for the factory crimp die, if I could get that far. I pulled the indexing shaft and just hand indexed from there. Is this normal? If so, does the classic cast have the same issue?

Thanks

Atakawow
07-25-2011, 03:24 AM
I couldn't find this question in any searches, so here goes. I tried using my Lee Turret today for 30-30. I recently re-re-replaced the nylon ratchet so I was looking forward to some auto-indexing reloading. It makes my 30 carbine reloading go VERY smoothly. Problem is, with the 30-30 case, after I put in the boolit (lee C309-150 FN) the auto-index makes the turret rotate before the boolit is clear of the seating die. Same problem for the factory crimp die, if I could get that far. I pulled the indexing shaft and just hand indexed from there. Is this normal? If so, does the classic cast have the same issue?

Thanks

I have a Lee Classic Turret that I happen to load my 30-30 with. Never experienced the problem you have mentioned.

geargnasher
07-25-2011, 03:37 AM
I have experienced exactly the same problem with 165-grain and longer boolits. My solution was to cut 1/4" off the bottom of the seat/crimp die with a chop saw and re-chamfer with rotary grinding stones. Works like a champ now.

Gear

TCFAN
07-26-2011, 12:56 AM
I also load 30-30 on the Lee turret and I have the same problem. Thats why I am looking to get a Lee classic turret. They have more room for the longer cartridges.......Terry

skeet1
07-26-2011, 08:39 AM
I was reading this thread and was wondering why you were having this problem when TCFAN made me realize that you weren't talking about the "Classic Turret". I have a "Classic Turret" and load the .30-30 0n it without any problem. I also load .30-06 and .303 British.

Ken

Ben
07-26-2011, 08:48 AM
The real bottom line is the old aluminum, 3 hole, Lee turret press had overall length limitations as to what it could load and not load, it was designed to be used as a pistol and small rifle ( .222 and .223 ) reloading press. The press did a very acceptable job of loading those rounds. As Gear has mentioned , there may be ways to " fudge " a little bit with these OAL limitation issues . However, if loading full length rifle rounds is the name of the game, you're much better off with the Lee Classic ( All steel ) Turret Press.

cavalrymedic
07-26-2011, 01:42 PM
I wish that I had known about those limitations before I bought the press. I still like using it for 30 carbine, but it's a bit annoying to know after the fact that it won't index on longer rifle cases. O well, another instance of me rushing into a purchase without fully exploring it.

Ben
07-26-2011, 08:43 PM
cavalrymedic:

It is still a good press to " dedicate " to the shorter OAL rounds.

Down the road, I highly recommend the Lee Classic Turret Press to you.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=119390

Ben

geargnasher
07-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Boy am I stupid. I used a "regular" Lee 4-hole turret for a very long time before recently buying the Classic Turret. To date I haven't reloaded any .30-30 on the new one, and I converted my old one to three hole with an ancient NOS Auto Index kit I got for a song off of a dusty rack at my local hardware store's gun counter. I remember wondering why the stroke seemed longer on the Classic and measuring the difference, but it didn't click that it was enough to be able to auto-index stuff as big as .30-'06. I guess I can chuck the sawed-off seater die and put my Straightline die in it's place.

Gear

cavalrymedic
07-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Ho-Hum, looks like we both learned something today, gearnasher. I have been coveting the Loadmaster for a while now, and I think now that I know what my turret press can and can not do, I may just go and buy the thing.