PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Mounting Gas Checks On Bullet Base....

UtopiaTexasG19
07-24-2011, 07:46 PM
I have some cast .309 bullets from Missouri Casting Co. and a box of Hornady 30 Cal. gas checks for cast bullets. I plan on running the bullets through a sizer and mounting the gas checks at the same time. How hard should it be to slip the gas checks on the base of the bullet before running through the sizer? Easy, Hard, almost impossible? If the bullets turn out to be the same size as the sizer and there is no force to mount the gas checks as the bullet passes through the sizer is there any other way to mount them by hand? Thanks...

Casting Timmy
07-24-2011, 09:22 PM
How easy it's to install the gas checks will depend on your mold.

I have a couple molds that I can size and install the gas check without any problems. Another mold has a very tight fitting shank for the gas checks. If I try and size and install in one step the gas checks are seated crocked. So I place a quarter over the sizing die and then use the top punch to install the gas check onto the bullet square with the base and then size it through the die.

ReloaderFred
07-25-2011, 12:14 AM
If I understand the question correctly, the bullets in question are plain base, not intended for gas checks. If that's the case, then they will be difficult to install, if not impossible, without some modification of either the base of the bullet, or the checks themselves.

You can open up a check with the appropriate sized punch, which will slightly bell the mouth of the check enough for the base of the bullet to start into it, sort of like seating bullets in a cartridge case. This sometimes works, but it's a lot of trouble.

Some have also used a collet type bullet puller of the proper size to make a recess on the base of a plain base bullet that will accept a gas check.

You might also contact Pat Marlin and see if he has the .30 caliber Plain Base Checkmakers developed yet. Then you can make your own gas checks and use any plain base bullet.

Hope this helps.

Fred

eagle27
07-25-2011, 05:40 AM
I too am not sure if you are putting GCs on plain based bullets but when I seat checks on GC bullets I put them on as a step before sizing. Stand check on hard bench, place bullet into check and give small wack on bullet nose with a piece of soft wood. this does not deform the nose but ensures the GC is seat fully and square. Then the sizing and lubing operation crimps the checks to the base. This assumes your checks and bullet bases match to give a slip fit before resizing.
If a lose fit then seating the GC in the sizer will be required.

If wishing to seat a GC on a bullet without a GC shoulder then Freds advice should be followed.
I turn a shoulder in my plain based 404 bullets using the lathe and holding the bullet in a collet in the chuck. Surprising how quick it is to do a number of bullets this way.

LUCKYDAWG13
07-25-2011, 07:36 AM
If wishing to seat a GC on a bullet without a GC shoulder then Freds advice should be followed.
I turn a shoulder in my plain based 404 bullets using the lathe and holding the bullet in a collet in the chuck. Surprising how quick it is to do a number of bullets this way.[/QUOTE]

can you just put the gas check upside down in the case with the boolit on top
just asking ?

ReloaderFred
07-25-2011, 12:33 PM
"can you just put the gas check upside down in the case with the boolit on top
just asking ?"

It can be done, but you've got to be careful. If there is an air gap between the gas check and the base of the bullet, you can ring your chamber. This is caused by the compression of the air between the check and the bullet base, with the pneumatic pressure exceeding the pressure the steel of the chamber can withstand. This causes the walls of the chamber to stretch at the point of the excess pressure, resulting in a ring around the chamber. I've seen brass fired in ringed chambers on several occasions, but have no idea if it was caused by this or some other problem, since I didn't see the gun the brass was fired in, only the left behind brass.

Hope this helps.

Fred

eagle27
07-26-2011, 03:14 AM
I turn a shoulder in my plain based 404 bullets using the lathe and holding the bullet in a collet in the chuck. Surprising how quick it is to do a number of bullets this way.

can you just put the gas check upside down in the case with the boolit on top
just asking ?[/QUOTE]

Everything is possible I suppose but would think there was potential for accuracy to suffer depending on the throat or freebore. Personally would not do this when loading cast bullets.

popper
07-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Is that Missouri Bullet Company? Google doesn't show a Missouri Casting Co. If NOT plain based, just get a Lee .309,.310 sizer die, lube and install. Doesn't take much force to seat. Make sure they are placed on square before sizing - whacking lightly. should do the job on any stubborn ones. Most will just snap in place. If plain base CB, just lube and shoot. What gun are you shooting.