PDA

View Full Version : Shiloh!

Freightman
07-24-2011, 06:04 PM
I have posted pictures of my Shiloh before but thought some newer members might like to see my pride and joy.

8mm
07-24-2011, 08:09 PM
That is incredibly gorgeous wood. Sometimes you get lucky and get more than you payed for.

Is that a stock Shiloh butt plate?

BSkerj
07-24-2011, 11:01 PM
Beautiful rifle !!

I am waiting for my Sporter #1 as I type. Only another 10 months or so. Got almost everything ready for it, dies, molds, lube, powder, just missing rifle. As soon as I get the call I plan on going up and picking out the wood. I live about 4 hrs away from Big Timber so that is a bonus.

longranger
07-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Sometimes you get lucky and get more than you payed for.

That statement is very true,I bought my Shiloh #1 with fancy wood and got extra fancy.Mr Goodman started to charge for extra fancy until he realized the order was for fancy.Appears sometimes when grading wood there only looking at a chunk of wood that has not been cut,it was graded fancy,until they worked their majic.The block of wood is pulled from the shelf and your serial # is applied to that block of wood.Once that's done whatever lies under what they can't see(except flaws) is yours.
Beautuful rifle,they all are.

Lead pot
07-25-2011, 07:37 PM
A beautiful rifle. But what in the H....is that ugly thing on the but????:-)

longhorn
07-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Outstanding lumber on that one--maybe prettier than mine with "presentation grade" wood! Good thing wood grading is so subjective, or I'd begin to chafe!

bigted
07-26-2011, 10:53 AM
A beautiful rifle. But what in the H....is that ugly thing on the but????:-)

he he he...i started to agree with the opinion of the butt then i gazed over at my collection of sharps n hi-walls and realized that the lace-up extensions on mine hide some pretty nice wood so ill not say a thing about the butt on this premium rifle. that is for sure a very handsome rifle and the pride is justified ... nice acquisition sir!!!

does she shoot as good as she looks or is all this fancy walkin for sho?...lol...:kidding:

Freightman
07-27-2011, 09:13 AM
That is incredibly gorgeous wood. Sometimes you get lucky and get more than you payed for.

Is that a stock Shiloh butt plate?
No I bought this rifle used and it is lead, I would guess to help balance the long heavy barrel as with it the balance is good without it it is a little nose heavy. weighs about 1.5#.
It shoots much better than I do Ted, but my favorite rifle is an old M1867 Rolling block (Danish) because it is lighter and shoots the loads I shoot just as accurate as the Shiloh. I do not shoot heavy loads as I am old and fragile. And a 405 gr boolit at 12-1300fps will kill anything I will shoot at, which is WT deer or if lucky a hog. No bears in the Texas Panhandle.

myfriendis410
07-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Really a very fine example of American craftmanship. What better exemplifies that than an American designed and made rifle?

Thank you for sharing.

bigted
07-27-2011, 03:05 PM
No I bought this rifle used and it is lead, I would guess to help balance the long heavy barrel as with it the balance is good without it it is a little nose heavy. weighs about 1.5#.
It shoots much better than I do Ted, but my favorite rifle is an old M1867 Rolling block (Danish) because it is lighter and shoots the loads I shoot just as accurate as the Shiloh. I do not shoot heavy loads as I am old and fragile. And a 405 gr boolit at 12-1300fps will kill anything I will shoot at, which is WT deer or if lucky a hog. No bears in the Texas Panhandle.

LEAD ??? wow what a cool idea ! never thought about using lead to balance a rifle with... in a but-plate configuration...is this your idea or does someone manufacture them?

that is such a super looking rifle...tho i bet it is a bit heavy for dragging thru the pucker brush . i plan to use a marlin this year because of the portability and ease of dragging thru the brush. id love to pack my hiwall but just cant take the chance of being by myself with just one shot when and if a grizz decides that ive done something that irritates him into a charge. we DO have bears up here and id have it no other way. ...[smilie=l:...:holysheep

if i ever get the chance to go back to Oregon tho after another Roosevelt elk...ill take the Winchester i think. i...like you...feel that a 400ish grain boolit running around 1300 feet per second ... would take anything walking on the American continent.

dale2242
07-28-2011, 08:25 AM
You gotta love fancy walnut stocks....dale

Freightman
07-28-2011, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=bigted;1346609] we DO have bears up here and id have it no other way. ...
A bear would starve to death here as we have had no rain in eight months to speak of and the temps are running 100+ day after day after day. 30+ and counting. No mosquitoes, bees, wasp ect. to dry only fly's.

358wcf
07-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Nothing better than a fine rifle with magnificent wood! Artful- you just can't duplicate what nature does in a fine piece of wood-
Fine rifles are accurate, shoot heavy lead projectiles, and are blued steel and finely finished walnut!

Chuck
358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Marine Sgt 2111
07-31-2011, 01:18 AM
There are somethings that words just can not express. Holding your own Shilo Sharps, that you had built to your specs, the perfect wood to metal fit, the figuring in the wood, holding American craftsmanship at it's finest and a piece of American history in your hands...I can't even begin to put into words what it's like. I will never sell mine....ever