PDA

View Full Version : FAL damaging bullet on feeding help ?

HARRYMPOPE
07-24-2011, 11:47 AM
I have just started running cast through my FAL.I ejected one i decided not to fire and the nose had a huge divot from the magazine.They feed every time,i just happened to eject a live one and noticed it.The bullets used were the Lee 312-155,SAECO #315,31466 and RCBS 180sp and all nose shapes did the same thing.I am thinking of grinding on the ft mag lip so it is flush with the rifles feed ramp.anyone tried this.Am i all wet on trying this.

George

shotman
07-24-2011, 12:11 PM
looks like you mag may not be feeding right . Try another mag

HARRYMPOPE
07-24-2011, 12:33 PM
looks like you mag may not be feeding right . Try another mag

tried 4 mags all did the same thing.Of course all are old milsurps.I'll buy a new none and try that.

thanks

George

madsenshooter
07-24-2011, 01:53 PM
I had a somewhat similar issue with my AR, just had to take a tiny bit off the front in a semicircle. Probably wouldn't have been an issue at all if I were shooting 223 instead of 6x45. You have 4, why not try working on one to see what you come up with?

odfairfaxsub
08-05-2011, 11:49 PM
the ar-10 has a multi directional feed into that consist of sharp edges, too sharp for me to even concider using the lead bullets. is the fal jus like that?

greywuuf
08-06-2011, 12:13 AM
Hi, having built a short barreled FAL in .358 win I think cast can be made to work, one question though.... what upper receiver are you using ? I notice that is a "metric" magazine, One of the Fal's I have has a "combined" mag cut... supposed to be able to use either style magazine and it works to an extent, but the thin dent /nipple of the metrics really is a loose fit and lets the magazines hang very low and loose. Try holding the mag up tight against the upper and rack it... see if your feed is better. Failing that a small semi circle cut at the front of the mag helps too.

Good Luck
Dan in Alaska

greywuuf
08-06-2011, 12:17 AM
One other thing, a bite mark like that IF it is resulting from the mag can be caused by "tipping" down of the round when the bolt carrier pushes on the upper part of the case rim, a light polish on the under side of the mag lips can sometimes help alleviate that as well. it is also important to figure out exactly what is hitting the bullet, it CAN be the front of the mag or it could actually be the ramp of the receiver, pop your dust cover off and hand cycle some kinda slow and see what is happening ( at a the range in a safe manner of course .. or since you are a caster ... make you some dummy rounds to work with )

greywuuf
08-06-2011, 12:20 AM
ODfairfaxsub, the Fn/Fal has a fairly conventional feed path, about like a 45 auto really, it does not have to avoid the barrel extension with its attendant full circle locking lugs, of course being a tipping bolt ( rear locked no less) it will never have the machine accuracy of the AR series

HARRYMPOPE
08-06-2011, 08:45 PM
ODfairfaxsub, the Fn/Fal has a fairly conventional feed path, about like a 45 auto really, it does not have to avoid the barrel extension with its attendant full circle locking lugs, of course being a tipping bolt ( rear locked no less) it will never have the machine accuracy of the AR series

my one and only FAL has shot as small as 5/8" for 5 at 100 with jacketed Hornady 165 flat base SP's and average groups a tad over 1.25" with 168 Sierra's(or the mentioned Hornady's) and 4895.While no Knight Sr 25 its better than most told me an FAL would do.Ball ammo is 1.75 to 2.25".

george

HARRYMPOPE
08-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Hi, having built a short barreled FAL in .358 win I think cast can be made to work, one question though.... what upper receiver are you using ? I notice that is a "metric" magazine, One of the Fal's I have has a "combined" mag cut... supposed to be able to use either style magazine and it works to an extent, but the thin dent /nipple of the metrics really is a loose fit and lets the magazines hang very low and loose. Try holding the mag up tight against the upper and rack it... see if your feed is better. Failing that a small semi circle cut at the front of the mag helps too.

Good Luck
Dan in Alaska

upper is a "gear" Imbel and is only for metric mags.Mags are unk surplus and fit tight

George

Mallard57
08-07-2011, 01:51 PM
I've made up some dummy .308 rounds with the RCBS 165 gr. SIL and they feed very well through my "Gear" logo reciever FAL. I was very pleasantly suprised. I'm not sure if they were water dropped though, it's been a while.
Good Luck in your quest,
Jeff

HARRYMPOPE
08-08-2011, 12:03 AM
I've made up some dummy .308 rounds with the RCBS 165 gr. SIL and they feed very well through my "Gear" logo reciever FAL. I was very pleasantly suprised. I'm not sure if they were water dropped though, it's been a while.
Good Luck in your quest,
Jeff
My 165 Sil is also marked badly from the magazine.Maybe it's an issue with my particular upper? I have tried 5 different magazines and my bullets are 22 BHN.

George