PDA

View Full Version : zinc

odinohi
07-24-2011, 05:48 AM
What is a fair price to offer for zinc? What would be a fair trade ratio for ww/zinc?
What do you guys do with your zinc ww's after sorting? I melted down a couple of lamps from a garage sale that I think were zinc (thought they were brass when I bought them). 780 degrees before it was good and melted. Gave me the idea to start trying some zinc sinkers. PM me if you want to get rid of your zinc, maybe we can work something out.

Tom

buyobuyo
07-24-2011, 09:32 AM
The last batch of wheel weights that I got I saved the steel and zinc weights to start collecting to sell for scrap at a later date. Before then I was just throwing them in the dumpster. I just started collecting last year, so I've probably only threw out about 20-50 pounds of steel and zinc. I'm lucky to get mostly lead when I go scrounging.

zuke
07-24-2011, 09:44 AM
I used a bunch of zinc to cast up a pile of jig's, which I swapped for WW.
True recycling and a win-win situation.

Defcon-One
07-24-2011, 12:23 PM
I'd consider Zinc, pound for pound, with WW in an even swap to be a fair trade!

Both are worth about $1.00 per pound. I melt my Zinc into ingots for storage and later use, but I still don't have a use.

Ugluk
07-24-2011, 05:29 PM
I use mine for grensand casting of various things needed for further tinkering. Alloyed with a bit of aluminum they're good in terms of strength and machineability. Melt at low temp and have good mass.
I've made a small rotary table for my drillmill, v-pulleys, bearing blocks and such out of them. Now I plan on making a new head for the drillmill, but that would be a big pattern with several complex cores and a lot to figure out dimension wise.
It's a lot more fun to sort ww when there's a use for the zinc too.