View Full Version : Does anyone own a henry golden boy?

mpbarry1
07-24-2011, 01:14 AM
(Edit title to henry BIG BOY) I bought my daughter a H001 and I have to say that it is a hoot. I have 40 long guns in my safes and that is my first lever gun! Strange I know. lol. So, I am thinking about getting a 357/38. That way I can spend 700 bucks and save 70 on 22 shells. :D I need to do something with that bucket full of 38's anyway. The Henry 22 is such a sweet shooter I can't imagine that the Big Boy wouldn't be.

However, the Henry doesn't seem to get much attention on here. Is it the Price Point for the Marlin, or is the Marlin just a better gun?

I know i can't afford a winchester, or uberti, so I'm thinking the Henry and the Marlin are my choices. Any guidance would be appreciated.

hickstick_10
07-24-2011, 02:05 AM
im assuming your talking about the big boy, whick is the center fire model.

try using the search function of the forum as well

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=104319&highlight=henry+big+boy.

My opinion on henry rifles has dimmed since I aquired a marlin 1894 cb in 357 and a winchester 9422, Im going to see what I can swap my golden boy and big boy for.

mpbarry1
07-24-2011, 03:00 AM
Sorry. I did mean big boy. Thank you for the link!

NickSS
07-24-2011, 05:41 AM
I have a henry 22 rifle and it is a fine plinker as is and as far as new guns on the market it is a good buy. I have handled and shot the Henry Big Boy and found it a bit heavy compared to either a marlin or 92 Winchester clone. I own both a marlin and a Rossi 92 in 357 mag and I was not impressed enough with the Henry to lay out the money for one.

fecmech
07-24-2011, 07:25 AM
The Big Boys are nice rifles if you like the "Brassy " look and a very heavy rifle. They load through the tube like a .22 which I don't care for but that's just me. My main dislike of the Henry is the weight which is about 8 lbs.

DukeInFlorida
07-24-2011, 08:42 AM
A have two buddies with Henry Big Boys.
One in 357 magnum, and the other in 44 magnum.

Just a note on the feeding of other sizes in both of those.............

The 357 magnum gun will ONLY feed 38 specials manually, one at a time. Don't fill up the magazine tube, and expect to ratchet the lever and have 38's feed properly in the 357 magnum version. Likewise for the 44 specials in the 44 magnum gun.

Other than that, both owners love their guns, and my best friend (who owns the 44 magnum version) has taken a deer with his, which was his reason for wanting it in the first place. His childhood dream was to have a Henry Repeating Rifle.

While not an original Henry, he's just as happy as if it were a real one.

BTW, both rifles LOVE reloads using the Hornady FTX bullets:
http://www.hornady.com/store/images/T/44105B_118x61.jpg

collyer
07-30-2011, 10:34 PM
I have a 44 mag henry. Love it to death. It is very accurate. I shoot a 265 grain cast bullit gas check and plain base. Very smooth action with no problems. You will be limited on over all length.

crabo
07-31-2011, 12:42 AM
I haven't seen many in the pistol cartridge silhouette game.

RobS
07-31-2011, 02:42 AM
Short COAL's in the 44 mag with it only feeding a .310" or so nose length boolits. I assume the 357 will be similar considering the two cartridges are nearly the same length. If your intent is to combo with a Ruger revolver and longer nosed boolits a person could run into problems and it'll make boolit selection a bit trickier. This is one specific reason why I won't own a Henry. They are good lookers with a great finish on the wood, brass and bluing. The 44 mag version my Dad has is very accurate but as others have mentioned it is heavier than most lever actions in the class.