PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to start?

Andy Mayer
07-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Howdy All,

I've looked for a thread or sticky on getting started but can't find one. I want to start casting my own 500gr 881's. No mass production, just for myself. I'm just wondering what all I need to get going?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Andy

geargnasher
07-23-2011, 10:44 PM
The first thing you need is a book on the subject. I recommend the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, any edition. The fourth just came out, the third is as good or better and is still very much in print.

The next thing to do is read it with comprehension. Then, ask for clarification and tips here. There is a wealth of info in our sticky/classics section, also on Castpics dot net, and at the LASC dot US site, many excellent articles and discussions that won't make sense until you get a good handle on the basics that any good casting manual will teach.

Gear

07-23-2011, 10:56 PM
After Gear has posted a reply, there's not much that can be added.

However, spend some time in the Cast Boolit Archive -- link at the bottom of the page.

25-06
07-23-2011, 11:00 PM
I checked out Youtube some was help

HangFireW8
07-23-2011, 11:08 PM
I've looked for a thread or sticky on getting started but can't find one. I want to start casting my own 500gr 881's. No mass production, just for myself. I'm just wondering what all I need to get going?
Any help is greatly
Andy,
You need lead, a pot with heat, mold, handles, sprue cutter stick, some flux, some lube, and a will to succeed. (oh yeah, a ladle).

Everything else is gravy.

swamp
07-24-2011, 11:18 PM
Andy,
If you are not too far from Denver, you are welcome to come over and try it out at my place. You can get some hands on time. You could also get an idea of what the addiction will make you do.

swamp

birdadly
07-25-2011, 12:06 PM
You may need a sizer die if they cast bigger than you need. Flux can be sawdust. Need a spoon of sorts to use after fluxing. If not using a bottom-pour pot, need a ladle. If you're not buying lead already in ingots, that'll be an additional list.

If you're close to 'swamp', definitely take him up on his offer. I had a member here (not sure if he'd want to be mentioned but I am definitely grateful) let me visit him before I bought all of my stuff and it really put me at ease and I left knowing that I could do it and that it would surely be fun! -Brad

44man
07-26-2011, 08:33 AM
CHEAP, will make boolits as good as anything. A cast iron pot on a fire works but for ease get a Lee 20# production pot, a Lyman ladle, Lee push through size dies that you can lap in minutes to fit your gun and some home made Felix lube.
For BP, a different lube, still cheap and easy to make.
White Label lube sold at great prices from one of our own here can't be beat.
Fellows with $300 pots, Star sizers, etc, can not make better boolits. They just gain speed.
A good lube can be applied to the boolit with your fingers (my way) or you just pan lube. I don't like TL because I don't like Alox. Yet some make it work. I can't! Maybe I am too old and stupid! :kidding:
Don't get big eyes looking through catalogs and counting out piles of money. A good boolit is nothing more then lead poured in a decent mold.
Please join us. You will never be sorry.