PDA

View Full Version : Too much powder?

jcw1970
07-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Is there such a thing? Got a good deal on some powder at an auction today.Didn't need it but 15 lbs for $15, I couldn't pass it up. So when I got home today I counted all my powder; 52 lbs in 22 different powders. When did this happen? I started out with bullseye, 2400 and 4895, 25 years ago.

Rocky Raab
07-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Tell me about it. I keep giving away powder to try keeping under 75 KINDS. Can't seem to succeed.

btroj
07-23-2011, 09:52 PM
This is why don't count up what I have. I know it is too many choices, too much powder, so I just don't add it up. If I knew I would slip and tell my wife and that wouldn't be good at all.

454PB
07-23-2011, 10:24 PM
You're fine.

I got bored last winter and did an inventory of powder, primers, and lead. The results were mildly embarrassing. If my anyone else knew the results, they might consider me a hoarder.

medalguy
07-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Me? A hoarder? Nah, just planning for future contingencies. I have over 220 pounds of powder in all varieties.

uscra112
07-24-2011, 12:37 AM
"Too much ain't enough" :grin:

dale2242
07-24-2011, 08:40 AM
52#. 22 Kinds. Sounds about right to me....dale

Dale53
07-24-2011, 09:24 AM
You good folks might want to check Fire Marshall regulations in your area. In some areas, there is a limit on powder stored on the premises. This is VERY important! Having more powder stored than allowed IN YOUR AREA could void your insurance policy in event of a fire.

Discreet request to your local fire station will give you the information you desire. Keep in mind that there are local restrictions as well as Federal restrictions.

Just a thought...

Dale53

357shooter
07-24-2011, 09:27 AM
You good folks might want to check Fire Marshall regulations in your area. In some areas, there is a limit on powder stored on the premises. This is VERY important! Having more powder stored than allowed IN YOUR AREA could void your insurance policy in event of a fire.

Discreet request to your local fire station will give you the information you desire. Keep in mind that there are local restrictions as well as Federal restrictions.

Just a thought...

Dale53Or check with your state laws online. Half the time the locals don't know what the laws are when it comes to something they don't deal with every day.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Discreet request

Discreet request ???
Just how do you do that ?

'Hello mister Fire Chief, How much ammo and powder and primers are too much ?'

Fire Chief responds, 'how much do you have?'

unless you lie, they will remember you and your address.
I live in a small town, I know them, They know me
(They = Fire chief, Police chief, most all policemen, most all fireman, counselmen, City administrator...ect. Plus Glencoe is the county Seat...I know most of them too, as I am a head election Judge)

Lastly, I remember reading some Hodgdons literature, stating
Federal regulations...NOT to store more than 20# in one location,
and then it should be in a wooden box, no less than 1" thick on
all sides. nothing was mentioned about primers, since this was
from a powder MFG I suppose.

Anyone know the Federal regs on storing primers...Quantities ?

I think this is a real good discussion !
Jon
in

rustypot
07-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Was this auction on Miller Paul Rd, if it was I talk to for a minute after you won the powder. Pleased to have meet a local board member.

Ed in North Texas
07-24-2011, 09:29 PM
This is why don't count up what I have. I know it is too many choices, too much powder, so I just don't add it up. If I knew I would slip and tell my wife and that wouldn't be good at all.

:bigsmyl2:

454PB
07-24-2011, 10:30 PM
Not to argue with Dale53, but how would anyone know how much powder was consumed in that smoldering pile of ashes?

I know people that keep 50 gallons of gasoline and several full propane bottles in their garage or shop. Seems to me that is scarier than 50 pounds of smokeless powder.

grullaguy
07-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Just for another perspective, here are Canadian regulations.
The only armed intruders I am afraid of in my neighborhood are the police.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

storage and possession of propellant powders

possession and personal use
17. Propellants not exceeding 10 kg in their approved canisters, caddies and kegs may be stored on residential property, providing they are in a locked substantial magazine that is kept clean and used

exclusively for propellants. No federal licence or possession permit is required for this type of storage. The outside of the magazine must be marked with the word “explosive.” no flammable or highly combustible material may be stored in or near the magazine.

--------------------------------------------
percussion caps (primers):

Storage and possession
possession for own use

23 a reasonable number of percussion caps (primers) for one's own use, and not for sale, may be kept
on residential or other property, out of reach of children and away from heat and substances of a
flammable nature. Such storage must be separated from propellant storage in a locked container or
receptacle marked “explosives.”
no federal licence or permit to possess is required for such
storage.

sargenv
07-25-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm just curious who defines what "reasonable" is... the casual plinker might think 1000 primers is reasonable since they only fire 100 rounds a month, an action shooter on the other hand may fire 1000 rounds a week, and buys in bulk to save on costs.. I know people with stocks of primers by the pallet... One gent caused Powder Valley to one day have Federal small pistol primers, and the next to have them be completely sold out.

jcw1970
07-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Was this auction on Miller Paul Rd, if it was I talk to for a minute after you won the powder. Pleased to have meet a local board member.

Yes that was me. One scary thing about buying someone else's powder is you never know what you're going to find. One of the bullseye cans i got yesterday was marked bad in pen but it was so old you could barely see it. Turns out it's a mixed can of bullseye and black powder. On the plus side the auctioner said they were partial cans but you and i know that powder cans are never filled to the top, so most of them were still sealed. I ended up with 12# of useable powder. Not bad for $15.

David2011
07-26-2011, 12:16 AM
Tell me about it. I keep giving away powder to try keeping under 75 KINDS. Can't seem to succeed.

Rocky,

The plan is to collect GUNS and burn the powder!:bigsmyl2:

David

EOD3
07-26-2011, 07:11 PM
52 pounds? Only if I count the 1# containers and exclude the bigger ones, the BP and Pyrodex. :bigsmyl2:

BOOM BOOM
07-26-2011, 08:19 PM
HI,
52lbs, too much you must be kidding!!!!!
75 lbs. , you are giving away?
I will take all that nasty stuff off your hands, I'll pay the shipping, it will have a good home till it ignites & goes to heaven having been converted to a good & faithful servant.

35remington
07-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Rocky said he's got 75 kinds of powder, not 75 pounds. In poundage he's probably got a lot more than that.

dnotarianni
07-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Only time there is too much is when the house is on fire

dave

htate
07-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I have always thought Federal regs apply only to black powder storage since it is a Class A explosive. I don't think there are any concerning "highly flammable" materials. Local and state regs are all over the place.

bobthenailer
07-29-2011, 08:53 AM
Only time there is too much is when the house is on fire

dave

I like your way of thinking !