PDA

View Full Version : Commercially Cast For Microgroove 30/30

jlh
07-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Is the Missouri Bullet 165 gr. projectile suitable for use in a Marlin 336, being sized at .309? Is it necessary to use gas-checks for a 1200 fps plinking load, if I should elect to use a Lee mold (170 gr)and cast my own, realizing in doing so, that I have more latitude in sizing? Thanks for your input and please forgive my asking this type of question, as I am certain that it has been addressed, previously.

John

MtGun44
07-23-2011, 10:09 PM
No forgiveness required.

I do not load for microgroove, but the conventional wisdom is that they usually need a
substantially larger than "standard" diameter for success with cast. I believe the
procedure is to REQUIRE slugging the barrel, and then load a few thousandths
oversized.

You need a microgroove expert to get you any further. The typical story is that someone
tried commercial and had horrible results, and the end is usually that it needs larger than
is commonly available from commercial suppliers.

Note that many have had excellent results with cast in microgrooved barrels, although some
non-experts claim that it can't be done.

Bill

oscarflytyer
07-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Have 2 MG bbls - 30-30 and 35 Rem. I have some commercial cast for the 35 I bought real cheap just to play. .358 - don't expect much, and expect to have to scrub lead out of the bbl as they are 'undersize' for a MG bbl.

As I get set up to shoot cast in both rifles, I plan to go with the Ranch Dog molds for both and cast my own. .310 or so for 30-30 and .359 for 35. Michael puts out a great mold set up, and custom Lee sizers, specifically for the Marlin MGs, and that is what I am going with so as not to waste time and frustration.

GabbyM
07-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Here is a 140 grain bullet you can order sized up to .311".
7 1/2 grains of Unique lit with a large pistol primer will get you close to 1,300 fps.
14.0 grains of 2400 will push them up around 1,600 fps and that's probably as fast as they'll go or even to fast.

http://www.reloadersauction.com/150106,auction_id,auction_details

DukeInFlorida
07-24-2011, 08:46 AM
My reloading books strongly suggest PURE LINOTYPE boolits for the microgrooved Marlins. I don't know of any commercial casters (they may be some, but I am not aware of any) who would offer linotype bullets.

All I cast for my Marlins is linotype. I size to .310" or .311" for the 30-30 guns. Slug your gun, and if it slugs .308, go with .310" sizing. If it slugs .309, go with .311.

And, everything I send down the barrel is, indeed, gas checked. Gas checks help clean up after any incidental issues that would otherwise lead to leading.

I suggest Carnauba Red for your lube, although I use my own Duke's Maine Lube:
cast bullet lubes.pdf (http://www.sebagosales.com/files/cast%20bullet%20lubes.pdf)

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-25-2011, 10:37 AM
my 1300 fps load is a Lee c170-309rf as cast .310 air cooled wheel weight with just enough tin solder to get them to fill out, over 15 gr of H4895 and a cci LR primer
in a 1970's 336 marlin micro groove

not the cleanest load in the world but very accurate , at 25 yards i get 1 hole about the size of a quarter from 10 rounds no fliers , i used pete's poor man lube for the best results the nra 50/50 had 2 fliers that were close but not touching and they could have been me but i have lots and lots of the pete's poor man lube and it is nearly free to me , i am still playing with how far i can push it plain base with the pete's poor man

but this should give you an idea of where you might start I use the H4895 because i can use it from 15 gr for the plinkers right up thru max hunting loads and in cast or jacketed and i can use it in most all 30 cals it's not the fastest for velocity but it is usually only 2-300 fps behind the fastest

it meters ok thru my lee auto disk, when i get my powder thru rifle die i will be kicking out rounds rather fast from the lee turret press I size and decap then wash in citric acid . trim then load

there is almost no recoil at 15 gr , they are a pleasure to shoot , and would be great for a new shooter to cut their teeth on when moving from 22 to high power.

plane base with a grits filler accuracy was ok to 21gr then it started to fall apart i tested up to 25 gr no leading but i was out to fist sized groups at 25 yards

popper
07-25-2011, 02:14 PM
My 336 30-30 slugs at .310 so I need .311 or .312 I tried .309, 170, GC'd, H4895 and loaded just short of the lands. Results were unacceptable at 50 and 100. I also tried plinker Unique loads with the same bullet, with the same results. I am looking for a commercial caster who will provide me with .312 raw RD bullets that I can size. I think Brad at MBC can provide .310 if you ask. I shoot the MBC 40 180's and they are too small for my XD.(.401 vs .403). Accuracy isn't too bad. Y ou might also try the half-jacKet plinkers. Accurate to 100 yds, about the same cost as GC lead, no recoil and run about 1500 fps. Should be a good short range varmint round.

GabbyM
07-25-2011, 06:32 PM
Popper:
I’ve a custom mold made by Mountain Molds. It cast a .312” body and a oversized tapered nose of about .302” from WW alloy at the front band then thinner up to the ogive. It takes the nose punch for a Lyman #311041. Weighs 180 grains.

I could sell you some in the white cast from any alloy you’d like. Send a PM if interested.

Maven
07-25-2011, 06:52 PM
jih, The suggestion to slug your Marlin's bore is a good one, else you won't be able to determine the correct diameter CB to order. As to the reality of Microgroove rifling, I've found it to shoot as well as, if not better than other types. I.e., you do NOT have to use ultra hard alloys to get it to shoot accurately; nor is it a fact that you need to use CB's as much as .002" larger than the slugged diameter. I had a Marlin #336 (since sold) which slugged .309". Although I tried various gas checked CB's @ .311", it shot best and impressively with CB's sized to .310". Btw, those [CB's] were cast of air cooled WW's + 1% Sn, which never produced leading in my bbl. in spite of a very rough spot forward of the throat. Nevertheless, your Marlin have different requirements, but you'll need to slug the bore first and perhaps order 2 different diameters of CB's to discover which shoots more accurately.