PDA

View Full Version : Idea for stockpiling lead

Jamesconn
07-23-2011, 05:03 PM
I was thinking about building a table with a mesh top and putting a vibrating motor on it and have a wheel barrow under to catch the dirt and another in front to catch the lead.
Instead of picking up some pieces after you shoot you can offer to clean a whole range for free and get enough lead to last for awhile.
I am trying to find a motor but most of the companies arent in america anymore so its kinda difficult. I found one in UK Inda and china

btroj
07-23-2011, 05:13 PM
What type of soil do you have? In NE we have some heavy clay and your setup wouldn't work real well. It also depends upon the range and it's rules. You are looking at doing lots of digging and tying up the range for quite a bit of time.

I prefer to just pick up what I can while I am changing targets. I figure I pick up about 100 pods a year. This is not as much as I shoot but I am cutting my losses.

Short answer for me is that I seem to be stockpiling lead very well. Sadly my stockpile is in the berm. Sigh.

07-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Make it a two level screen. That way you break up any hard clay clumps then the finer screen sifts out the boolits. Check with rewinding shops. They usually stock motors of all sizes. In Monroe, NC--American Rewinding-- good folks. Have a bud who does it on the side (retired) and will put you together if needed.

clodhopper
07-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Maybe you can get a motor of an old lawnmower or weedeater or something.

Gtek
07-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Any motor will work, if it has a shaft you just make unbalanced sleeve. TA-DA vibrator. Made a few out of A/C fan motors, 110V. Big bearings and shafts. Off site work- use a little edger motor or something with horizontal shaft, gas power and take it where ever you need. Gtek