PDA

View Full Version : .41 Magnum Wadcutter Reloads

armed_partisan
07-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Okay fellas. I got my Mihec 411395 .41 Magnum HBWC this week and I'm lookin' to try it out.... but where to start? Looking on Quickload, I'm thinkin' 7.4 grains of Bullseye for the solid based (flipped core pin) version, and 6.2 grains of Bullseye for the hollowbase target load. All I have are 4" S&W N-frames in this wonderful caliber.

Does anybody have a favorite load for a .41 Magnum Wadcutter, such as the Lyman 410026 or 410027 or the Mihec above?

GLynn41
07-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Wish I did -- I have never seen a .41 cal wadcutter-- and have never used bullseye in a .41
I too like the .41--4" N frames --
not to fuss but having seen -rather-heard and felt a .44 superbackhawk come apart with a massive bullseye over load do be care with those beautiful N framed S&W
have fun tell how it goes

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-23-2011, 02:23 PM
I use 7.0 gr. of red dot
for a 'Accurate Molds' 41 button nose WC mold 196gr. with 50-50 alloy.
my 41 guns are 6 to 7.5"
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/100_1383.jpg

Uncle Grinch
07-23-2011, 04:05 PM
I
All this reminds me , I've got a Lee 41-200-WC SC mould that is packed away in my stuff somewhere. I used to use it with my S&W 57 8 3/8" during bullseye matches. If I can remember correctly, it shot better than decent if I did my part. Don't quote me (that means... check it out before trying it), but I used 7.0 gns of GreenDot.

Don't have the S&W anymore, but I do have a Ruger BH in 41 Mag, and I think I'll see how it shoots in it... if it ever cools down again!

Wally
07-23-2011, 04:21 PM
I use a Lee 210 WC in my M-57...7.5 Bullseye for just under 1,100 FPS MV..very accurate.

EDK
07-23-2011, 04:31 PM
I've been shooting a lot of 44 wadcutters from Blammer's group buy of 429352 and just received the 44 hollow base wadcutter mould from MIHEC two days ago.

FWIW, I'd try HP38/231, RED DOT/PROMO, UNIQUE, TITEGROUP or HERCO...all of them bulky enough to make double charges a little more noticeable. After a long absence, I have re-dsicovered HERCO and bought my second 4 pounder for this year today. Also cast them a bit soft...about brinnell hardness 10-to-12. Mid-range loads that run about 900 to 1000 feet per second in my 5.5 inch Original Size 44 VAQUEROS. Treat your SMITH & WESSON like an arabian horse, not like a Clydesdale REDHAWK or SUPER REDHAWK....it and your wrists will last a lot longer!

:castmine::Fire::redneck:

armed_partisan
07-30-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm seriously considering getting into IDPA SSR, and now that they've lowered the Power Factor to 105K for SSR, I don't even know if I can USE my .41 magnums at that level! If I use Trail Boss and my solid base, 225 grain Wadcutters, I'd have to be around 467 FPS Minimum to make the SSR minimum. I'm worried the bullets will stick at those velocities! Still, my .41's are heavier and more durable (no forcing cone flat on the bottom) than my Model 19. I have L-frames but no holsters or Speed Loaders, etc. I have all the stuff for N-frames, though.

Larry Gibson
07-30-2011, 01:46 PM
No WCs but I do use the older Lee TL410-175-SWC and the TL410-210-SWC cast of soft range scrap alloy over 5 gr Bullseye. They run 850 - 900 fps out of my 7 1/2" Bisley and right at 775 -800 out of 4" barrels. Quite pleasant to shoot and quite accurate.

Larry Gibson

leadman
07-31-2011, 07:44 PM
I had a 3 screw BH in 41mag years ago and found a WC single cavity mold somewhere for it. It shot decent at ranges less than 50 yards. I was pushing it with Blue Dot faster than I would today.

Sold the gun and then the mold, but now have a SBH Hunter in 41 to play with. 3 molds but no WC.

fourarmed
08-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Most of those loads sound pretty brisk for a full wadcutter. I'd start around 4 - 5 gr. of Bullseye or Red Dot or 231. The idea is to produce a load that is LIGHT for paper punching.

Wally
08-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Most of those loads sound pretty brisk for a full wadcutter. I'd start around 4 - 5 gr. of Bullseye or Red Dot or 231. The idea is to produce a load that is LIGHT for paper punching.

I use mine for plinking---cans, large stones, pieces of wood, etc...at 1,000 FPS in my M57 the recoil is comfortable--it is a Magnum...if I was to paper punch, I'd use a .38 Spl.

fourarmed
08-03-2011, 11:27 AM
.38????? Where's the fun in that? Another thing about LIGHT loads is, you can shoot without hearing protection in a pinch.

Wally
08-03-2011, 11:33 AM
.38????? Where's the fun in that? Another thing about LIGHT loads is, you can shoot without hearing protection in a pinch.

Saves lots of lead, which I cannot get like I used to...and I have alot more .38 Spl brass than .41 Mag..

Wally
08-03-2011, 11:43 AM

Saves lots of lead, which I cannot get like I used to...and I have alot more .38 Spl brass than .41 Mag..

Shooter6br
08-03-2011, 03:48 PM
I use H & G #50 in my Mod 10. 3.3 g unique(wc)/ My 45 ACP and 41 mag make big holes in SWC or FP so wadcutters to me arent my thing in larger calibers. "Differant strokes for differant folks"

armed_partisan
08-04-2011, 04:57 PM
I want to go heavy and slow for competition, and use the heaviest revolver I can. My 4" model 57 weights about 44 ounces, which is two ounces too many for SSR, but my 657 Mountain gun has a skinny barrel that comes in around 40 ounces. Using 225 grain bullets and using Trail Boss, the felt recoil should be about as light as I can make it.

cbunt1
02-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Partisan:

I kinda hate to resurrect an older thread, but it's nice to see someone else who wants to run a .41 in SSR for IDPA.

I'm having trouble finding leather/gear for the darn thing, but I think a Mod 58 will get the job done and come close enough to the weight restriction to make the cut--at least in club matches

I talked to Comp-Tac holsters, and they're making a straight-draw N-Frame holster, but I can't seem to get my hands on speedloader holders/pouches for N-frames. I'd settle for competition gear, but I'd like to find a source for both comp AND carry gear. Man what an uphill battle!

Any ideas where I should look/who I might call for N-Frame gear?

armed_partisan
02-29-2012, 12:02 AM
Hey cbunt1,

Sorry I didn't see this until just now. I had to give up shooting revolver in IDPA because of the reasons you've stated. None of the copious amounts of revolver gear I have, much of it former LEO stuff, is IDPA legal. Not my holsters, or my speedloader pouches... nothing. I had to buy new speedloader pouches, and considering they don't make 'em any more, it cost a bit of time and money to find enough of the same kinds.

I've also become disillusioned with IDPA's silly-*** rules for revolvers. It's been my experience that the states at my local club are NEVER revolver neutral, as "required" by the rules. Also, if you don't get into the habit of catching every ejected case and sticking them in your pocket, a tactic that was notorious for getting cops killed for decades, then you will sometimes drop a live round, and that's a FTDR penalty, which is a 20 second penalty. You can literally have six procedural errors and not be penalized as much on one stage. Woe be unto the SSR shooter in IDPA who loses count.

Likewise, you can't shoot that extra round you know you have, because that's also an FTDR, and you can't always take extra shots on stages that have Limited Vickers, because that's a merciful 3 second penalty. The deck is stacked against revolvers in IDPA, and I'm gonna switch to ICORE or Steel Challenge when my membership in IDPA expires. For now, I'm shooting my Beretta.

Sorry about the rant, I hope you do well. Watch your brass. I was the only one shooting .41, and people would come up to me who found my brass and give it to me, but I still lost some, and every case is precious!

Good Cheer
02-29-2012, 06:42 AM
I use the Lyman 410026 and 410027 with Unique.

The 410027 see greater usefulness as a .40 cal minie ball, keeping me entertained trying to get it to shoot in a muzzle loader. Why a hollow based wadcutter maxie ball isn't working yet is just beyond me.

armed_partisan
02-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Those two are rare as hen's teeth, Good Cheer. I bought my new MiHec mold for less than I saw a 410027 going for on Ebay (which I was bidding on). One of those last minute things where snipers came in and TRIPLED the price in the last second.

Pardon my ignorance, but what common ML caliber readily accepts .41 caliber bullets?