PDA

View Full Version : Lubrisizer Lube change and recycle

BossHoss
07-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Ok,

So, what does a guy do who only has one Lyman lubrisizer who wants to use different lubes for different bullets?

I have not tried boiling my stripped 450 yet.

If you boil it , (outside on the gas grill burner in a stock pot), does the lube float up or what?? Can it be skimmed , saved and reused?

I suppose it depends on the lube type, eh?

See, I want to go from 50/50 to Black Powder Lube, and then to Lyman Orange or Carnuba Red....and then back again....trying different lubes.

I am sure it is a mess, but just want to know what I am getting myself into before I make a Horrilibus Maximus messification of a stock pot, et al.

Where does the boiled lube end up, floating or on the bottom , needing to be scraped....etc.

Sorry, wide eyed newbie to this, and loving every minute of it....

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-23-2011, 02:14 PM
I've only boiled a lubsizer to clean up a old dirty lubesizer
that I just bought, that hadn't been used for 20 years that
is still half full of some old/hard partly dryed up lube.

The Lube will float, I have never saved a lube that way.
I think others have, I read they let it cool and just lift out the pot.
I'd worry about water mixing in with the kind of lube with beeswax.
I think beeswax might attract moisture, I could be wrong ???

When I just want to switch lubes, I leave a die installed,
and remove the pressure nut and I use a heatgun,
holding the lubesizer over the Jar I want
the hot lube to drip/run into. There will be some residual lube
left in the lubesizer that may mix with the new lube, just lettin' you know
that, if that would bother you.
Jon

PS. this will mess up a stock pot for use with food.
I use the same one for melting wax for making fire starters.

07-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Many answers here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=122736

Hardcast416taylor
07-23-2011, 03:47 PM
I remove the size die from the luber and work the pressure wrench on the lube resevoir shoving the lube down and out thru the sizer die area. After the wrench has bottomed out then I use a heat gun to melt out whatever there is remaining. Yes, you will get a bit of lube contamination at the start of the next type lube used - but very little contamination if you melted the old lube out enough. Yes, the lube will float to the top in a boil out situation and can either be trashed, bad idea, or attempt to reuse again.Robert

BossHoss
07-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Thanks for tips....... boiling a lubrisizer, lol.

Never in my wildest dreams......

JerryW
07-23-2011, 07:15 PM
Over the years when I see a good buy on a used luber I add it to my bench. There's six of them there now. It beats changing one back and forth. JCW.

220swiftfn
07-23-2011, 11:53 PM
Over the years when I see a good buy on a used luber I add it to my bench. There's six of them there now. It beats changing one back and forth. JCW.

+1, I've got three..... altho, for trying out different lubes for load development (if this is what you're thinking) you might want to hand lube and run them through the sizer. That way, you don't have to switch the lube until you figure out what you're going to use.......

Dan