PDA

View Full Version : New Sharps

mustanggt
07-23-2011, 12:28 AM
Just called C. Sharps and ordered an 1874, 50 2 1/2" Bridgeport rifle. 30" #1 heavy barrel. semi-fancy wood, Mid-range Soule with Hadley spirit level globe, pistol grip, cheek rest, Just my 3rd Sharps and am getting more addicted by each rifle I buy. Up next after this one next year will be a Hi-wall in 40/70 ss. The Holy black has possesed my wallet and may well posses my soul.

MT Chambers
07-23-2011, 01:14 AM
You'll love it, like I like mine, I think you will find that the "big fifty" is the best hunting cal. of all, I've taken deer, moose, bear and buffalo with mine!

NickSS
07-23-2011, 06:27 AM
I have one of their hunters carbines in 50-70. It has a really nice french walnut stock and a 36" round barrel and shoots extremely well. I do not think I would like it in the 50 2.5 chamber due to its light weight. I am sure you will love yours. I also have a high wall by them in 40-65 That has a single set trigger. Make sure you go for that option as it makes for a sweet trigger.

mustanggt
07-23-2011, 08:48 AM
Nick, for sure on the single set. I have one on my 75 and it is sweet. Are their any special things I need to know that may be different than my 45-70 such as loads. I've been following the KIK threads about that powder. I shoot 3F Swiss in my other Sharps. 2F, 1.5F, 1F? I know I will probably have to find out what works best. Just wondering what one people have been having the most sucess with.

Don McDowell
07-23-2011, 11:37 PM
If Leadpot doesn't chime in here, send him a pm. He know a great deal about making the big 50 situp and run right, and he's been doing alot of KIK testing in the 50 and others.

mustanggt
07-24-2011, 12:47 AM
Thank you Don, I appreciate it.

NickSS
07-24-2011, 05:35 AM
If you are looking for a silhouette rifle in your high wall you plan on getting I would opt for a half round heavy barrel I have the standard tapered octagon on my 40-65 and it is a bit light when I start shooting 400+ gr slugs all day long. I also have a cheak piece on my 38-55 high wall and it is a nice feature. As far as loads go I have tried Swiss and like it but the price is higher than my budget especially since I have a lot of GOEX and Schutzen on hand. Right now I am using Shutzen FFG for my target loads in all my rifles as it burns a bit cleaner than GOEX and seams to give a bit more velocity. I have used KIK FFFG but have not tried any other.