PDA

View Full Version : Battery Post lead

gunnysack
07-22-2011, 08:41 PM
I have received new battery tops from a company that builds battery assembly machines. These tops are new ,never assembled. The posts are formed in plastic injected tops. So I cut the posts out and smelted them down and poured them into ingots. I tested the ingots with a CabinTree tester and the readings were equal to that of mono type lead hardness. Could I assume that the make up of this post lead would be close to that of mono type for alloying with pure lead? Gunnysack

fryboy
07-22-2011, 11:28 PM
interesting question ... i'd put a drop of muratic acid on them and see if it fizzes to make sure that it's not a zinc lead alloy , if no fizz no zinc but i cant imagine them using monotype ( being as it's more expensive ) for cheap battery terminals , mono type also is about 27-30 on the brinnel scale , aint too much harder except heat treated boolits and straight antimony .....

imashooter2
07-23-2011, 08:35 AM
You can make the assumption, but you have no way of really knowing what is in the alloy unless you send some off to be assayed.

nanuk
07-23-2011, 09:33 AM
I thought the posts were usually close to pure lead.

mine are very soft, and easy to score deep with a thumbnail.

perhaps you have stumbled onto some real value there. if you have enough poundage, it might be worth your while to find some way to get it analyzed.

there may be a volunteer on here who has access to a cooperative salvage yard who can use one of them new fandangled ray guns

mold maker
07-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Battery lead like WWs are a changing. There may even be some evil stuff in the cell links and post of modern batteries. It's getting to where ya cant trust anything anymore.