PDA

View Full Version : aint as young as i used to be.

Lloyd Smale
07-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Had the 475s out today. Shot a few through the linebaugh and about 50 through the FA. Found out two things. Both of these guns still shoot. There a couple of the most accurate revolvers ive ever owned. Sorry 44man but no 50 yard groups today just 25 but both guns will blow one hole at that range.with the ballistic cast 410 lfngc and 28 grains of wc297. After a bit over 60 rounds i was done in. My wrists were actually in pain. I can remember 15 years or so back taking the 475 and 500 out and easily going through 300 rounds of full power ammo in a session. Sure cant do it anymore. got to admit it was fun though. Its been a while since i shot anything bigger then the 454 or 44 mag.

Walt
07-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Getting old is no fun! I have never been able to tolerate a lot of recoil. 50 rounds of full house 44 mags through a 6" 29 is about all I wanted when I was at my best. Now those 1000 fps mid-range loads are what I want shoot more often than not. I much prefer a 200 grain 800 fps target load in my (1911) 45's now too. The wrists ain't what they used to be.

MJR007
07-22-2011, 07:41 PM
I understand well.

crabo
07-23-2011, 01:38 AM
My BIL keeps telling me I need to get a 500 Magnum, which is his dream gun. He does not have any pistols, but he likes to shoot mine. I keep telling him the 44 mag will do everything he needs done.

But he is going to spend $1200 to find out it was way too expensive to buy and shoot, and it hurts after a while.

44man
07-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Yes they will punish after a while but what Lloyd says is true.
The caliber just seems so accurate and easy to load for.
I have to limit the number of shots too. If I want to shoot a lot I take the 45-70 BFR. It has less recoil then a .44. More of a pain to load, 4759 doesn't flow like 296 so I weigh every charge, then the tuft of Dacron but it is worth it once the shooting starts. No pain at all and rounds disappear fast. :Fire:

Thumbcocker
07-23-2011, 09:25 AM
It's ok Lloyd we will still respect you if you can only shoot wimpy .44 mags. :kidding:

subsonic
07-23-2011, 09:57 AM
My BIL keeps telling me I need to get a 500 Magnum, which is his dream gun. He does not have any pistols, but he likes to shoot mine. I keep telling him the 44 mag will do everything he needs done.

But he is going to spend $1200 to find out it was way too expensive to buy and shoot, and it hurts after a while.

Look on the bright side. In a couple of years you can probably pick up a used .500 S&W that's barely shot for less than it's worth! Good trade bait!

Seriously, I think S&W did a decent job of making these x-frame revolvers shootable for your "average" guy. They may have screwed up on some other things, but they are pretty "shootable" as far as I can tell. I'm betting a smaller, lighter, non-ported revolver with hard grips in .454 or .44 will beat you up more. The 500 S&W is a wrist twister if you're not bearing down on it, but doesn't give you that fastball to the hand effect that some do.

gray wolf
07-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Getting old ????????????
Oh yea that guy, I have met him and he is slowly winning the battle.

I can remember 15 years or so
Are you kidding ? how about 6 Months ago Eh.

44man
07-23-2011, 12:22 PM
It's ok Lloyd we will still respect you if you can only shoot wimpy .44 mags. :kidding:
I just got done shooting a 629 and my thumb hurts from hitting WHAT from Creedmore???
My elbow was beat because I forgot the elbow pad for the first five.
I would rather shoot my BFR .475 then this thing!
I can shoot my SBH all day with 330 gr boolits. Just what is it about the S&W that makes them unpleasant even with lighter bullets? I needed a glove and my knuckle was still beat.

Lloyd Smale
07-24-2011, 07:03 AM
got to agree with 44man. I love my n frames but i love them with midrange loads. Anymore i dont shoot anytihng over a 1000 fps out of them. No gun will tear my hands up faster then an N frame with full power 44 mag loads. Id rather shoot my 4 inch 500 linebaughs with full power loads.

ColColt
07-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Just what is it about the S&W that makes them unpleasant even with lighter bullets? I needed a glove and my knuckle was still beat.

Try the Ruger SP101 with stock grips and full blown magnum loads. If you're into pain, that is the one. It will not disappoint. I replaced them grips after my first outing with them.

slide
07-25-2011, 08:16 PM
What kind of grips do you guys have on your N frames?

tek4260
07-26-2011, 11:08 PM
I guess I am going to have to break down and get a 329PD and see what this recoil thing is all about.....

44man
07-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Yeah, I have shot too many .357's that HURT.
Grip angle and gun weight.
Seems as if there are a few that love to hand a gun to a friend because they want to see them turn white after one shot and hand the gun back.
The macho thing is stupid if you can't hit anything. We all flinch and even I do once in a while off hand but not from a rest. I fight it all the time from off hand. Fried brain!
My glasses fog when I put ear muffs on! I can't breath through my ears anymore from the empty space. :mrgreen:
Get a pistol that leaves your hand and lands on concrete behind you. You are real tough and maybe a little stupid. :violin:
The big calibers need to be big guns.

Heavy lead
07-28-2011, 09:56 PM
I guess I am going to have to break down and get a 329PD and see what this recoil thing is all about.....

I've got a 357 PD, 4" barrel. Bought it for $500 from someone who I told not to buy it. I'm no great handgun shot mind you, but better than my buddy is who bought it, so after he suffered for 4 weeks with it, I relieved him of it, so he could go buy a steel gun.
I've trained myself to shoot it and have not, nor will cut loose with a full power .41 Magnum out of it. I've got a nice little NEI 220 Keith boolit load with 7.5 grains of Unique that is accurate as heck. I have wood Hogue grips on this and it's pleasant and darn is it light and nice to carry.

I'm with everyone else on the N frames, be it the .45 Colts, .44's, I shoot a 260 to 280 grain boolit out of it going between 900 and 1100 fps.
If I want to rock n roll, I use the Ruger Bisley's with custom fat grips, or the plow handles with the oversized Herrett's stocks.
The one exception to this is my 657's, the .41's stoked full out of them don't bother me somehow with a 250 WLN. But of course with the smaller hole they are heavier.

BTW, I had to install a heavier mainspring and a heavier trigger return spring on this 357PD, without it the gun would not work and lock up as light as it is, very strange indeed.

saz
07-29-2011, 01:53 AM
Yes they will punish after a while but what Lloyd says is true.
If I want to shoot a lot I take the 45-70 BFR. It has less recoil then a .44.:Fire:

Wow, really? Are you not loading very hot or is it more weight, better grips etc??? I have always been intrigued with the 45/70 BFR- all the power you want without all the pressure, right?

PacMan
07-29-2011, 06:29 AM
Ya know Loyld i ant either but it beats the heck out of the other option. My kids which are grown tease me every birthbay and like i always tell them i'm gald to see everyone of them.
Whan your young you dread getting older.When your older you just hope to get older.

Whitworth
07-29-2011, 07:08 AM
Wow, really? Are you not loading very hot or is it more weight, better grips etc??? I have always been intrigued with the 45/70 BFR- all the power you want without all the pressure, right?

He's right about how little that .45/70 kicks. You would think otherwise, but I have shot some pretty hot loads through 44man's BFR in .45/70 and am always underwhelmed.

So, I guess y'all don't want to shoot my .50 Alaskan? LOL!:bigsmyl2:

The older I get, the better I was........

subsonic
07-29-2011, 08:24 AM
Interesting how "perceived" recoil and calculated recoil are so much different. I agree that my 4" 629 with a "keith load" is serious, but my .45 Bisley with a 335gr monster load is "fun" and nowhere near as painful to the hand. Will be interesting to see how the .475 BFR does whenever USPS gets around to doing their job.

Whitworth
07-29-2011, 08:46 AM
Will be interesting to see how the .475 BFR does whenever USPS gets around to doing their job.

Don't hold your breath! LOL!

I have shot a .475 BFR quite a bit and have never found it objectionable with full- house loads -- oh, it'll let you know you touched off something special, but it is controllable and not uncomfortable IMO.

Keep us posted when you get it. I would be interested in your thoughts on it.

44man
07-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Gun weight really counts. Next is the grip. You can change the grips on an N frame and make it easy to shoot.
Some like the Bisley but I don't, seems to push through the back of my hand. I would rather have the gun come up and raise my arms but a hog leg can twist the wrist from bags.
I shot a 1911 from bags many times and it even will twist your wrist.
Some revolver calibers can be put in a 12# rifle and it will beat you black and blue. :mrgreen: I don't think I would enjoy a .475 in a little lever gun! Even a .44 mag can sting your shoulder.
Recoil never bothered me much but some things belong in the safe.

subsonic
07-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Don't hold your breath! LOL!

I have shot a .475 BFR quite a bit and have never found it objectionable with full- house loads -- oh, it'll let you know you touched off something special, but it is controllable and not uncomfortable IMO.

Keep us posted when you get it. I would be interested in your thoughts on it.

I will definitely post about it. You and 44Man are the 2 that turned me on to the BFRs in a bad way. Your 500JRH article had me looking for either a 500 or a 475! Found the best deal on a .475, so that was that.

Whitworth
07-29-2011, 10:33 AM
You won't be disappointed or left wanting! It was a wise choice on your part. The .475 is still one of my favorite revolver cartridges. It just does everything well. Looking forward to a full report!

44man
07-29-2011, 10:38 AM
I will definitely post about it. You and 44Man are the 2 that turned me on to the BFRs in a bad way. Your 500JRH article had me looking for either a 500 or a 475! Found the best deal on a .475, so that was that.
I am getting the .500 JRH. Might be a week or so but I went against Whit and got a 7-1/2" barrel! :veryconfu[smilie=s:.
I need to find you some of my .475 boolits yet and get a box. I might need to cast so hang loose.
I am going to steal some of Whit's .500 brass so if you hear screaming, just turn the sound down! [smilie=w:

subsonic
07-29-2011, 11:03 AM
And to think, you can get 2 of these for the price of 1 FA!

subsonic
07-29-2011, 11:46 AM
I am getting the .500 JRH. Might be a week or so but I went against Whit and got a 7-1/2" barrel! :veryconfu[smilie=s:.
I need to find you some of my .475 boolits yet and get a box. I might need to cast so hang loose.
I am going to steal some of Whit's .500 brass so if you hear screaming, just turn the sound down! [smilie=w:

44man, did my info help with your deal on the JRH? Or did desire overcome all obstacles? lol

If this .475 sucks, I'm blaming you guys!:bigsmyl2::kidding:

Whitworth
07-29-2011, 01:09 PM
44man, did my info help with your deal on the JRH? Or did desire overcome all obstacles? lol

If it sucks, give it to me and I will make sure that it is tucked away where it will bother nobody! Hey, I've got to try.......:mrgreen:

44man
07-29-2011, 01:16 PM

Yes, I could never get my friend on the phone, that was the problem. He was just too busy.

Whitworth
07-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Yes, I could never get my friend on the phone, that was the problem. He was just too busy.

Have you ever considered he may be avoiding you? Just kidding! :kidding: