PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good .40 S&W Mould

Sundogg1911
01-13-2007, 12:07 AM
I'm looking to buy a mould in .40 S&W. I have a CZ 40B, and an STI Race gun, that need a lot of feeding. What do you guys suggest? I don't want a bb mould (Never saw a reason for one. I use a Lyman 450 for sizing, so i'd like to get something that I can get top punches that fit it too. I'd also like it to be a 4 cavity. something that will be heavy enough to make major power factor without being too heavy. (For IPSC shooting) it doesnt have to be a RN mould since both of this pistols would feed gravel if you could get it in the magazines. :Fire: I figure this is the place to get answers. :-D

9.3X62AL
01-13-2007, 12:22 AM
I use the Lee 175 truncated cone design in my 40 S&W. Both a Beretta 96 and my present CZ-75B digest them with gusto. The Lee boolit is available in a 6-cavity design--mine is a 2-banger.

I use a Buckshot-produced top punch, but I think the Lyman top punch to fit their 38-40 WCF boolit (#401043 or #401403, can't recall which it is) should work fine.

Johnch
01-13-2007, 12:27 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=569185

Deputy Al , I have the 6 gang mould

I feed the Sig a steady diet of them .
For my plinking use , I load them a little on the slow side

Johnch

9.3X62AL
01-13-2007, 12:58 AM
I don't run them real hard, either--950 FPS, to duplicate the SXT service loads I carry in the pistol.

The Midway USA order number for the top punch is #456-794.

warf73
01-13-2007, 07:01 AM
Thats the same mold I use to feed my wifes and my Springfield 40 XD's.

Warf

Lloyd Smale
01-13-2007, 07:19 AM
rcbs 180 round flat is probably the most accurate .40 bullet ive found but its slow casting 2 cavity so i run three at a time.

Cloudpeak
01-13-2007, 09:35 AM
I really liked the Lee TL-401-175-SWC mold. I shot several thousand of them through my XD40SC. I sold it because I'm getting out of the 40 cal. business. (Got hooked on 1911s in 45). Here's a pic of a 7 yard target shot with this bullet out of the XD:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/WyoBob/Targets/DSCN0885.jpg

Cloudpeak

Sundogg1911
01-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Cloudpeak. I'm the opposite. I have been casting 4 different boolits for the 45 ACP for about 10 years for my Para-Ordnance, and Enterprise 1911 double stacks, (and for my Kimber, Colt, and Springfield Singles) but the Guys shootin' the .40's seem to be cleaning up in IPSC. [smilie=1: It's an easy round to make major power, and less kick than the 45's, (and if you're shootin' Open class, you can cram a few more in the mags) so I decided to see if I can shoot a little faster with them. Although I will never give up my 45's.
(I've collected quite a few of them over the years) although My 17 year old Daughter keeps asking me why I want to switch to a "little" boolit! :???:

9.3X62AL
01-13-2007, 12:28 PM
although My 17 year old Daughter keeps asking me why I want to switch to a "little" boolit! :???:

This is a sure sign that the coming generation is on the right track.

Sundogg1911
01-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Yeah. IT's true! I've created a Monster with that one. [smilie=1:
She loves to Shoot. She reloads (and casts) all of Her own 380's (Gave Her a Walther PPK for Her 16th Birthday) It stays in the safe except when we're at the range. The first time She ever shot bowling pins (Usind a Smith 22A with a red dot) she went 38 pins before missing. She's a natural. Tried to get Her interested in shootin' the .22 rifles at the 50 yard range, but She gets bored punchin' holes in paper. :Fire:

9.3X62AL
01-14-2007, 01:24 PM
1911--

Perfectly understandable as to the paper-punching being boring at that age. I did a lot of shotgun sports as a teenager, and after powdering clay birds with The Gauge--drilling target paper with a 22 was about like watching paint dry to my 17 year old mindset.

A target still needs to "do something" to keep me focused, to this day. Heaven is a dinger plate at 50 yards--a Ruger 10/22--and a brick of Dynapoints. Substitute charcoal briquets--stand up a 2 x 4 on its narrow edge, then place briquets on the top edge. A low hit knocks the whole thing over, a good hit smokes the target. Addictive to kids of all ages. Much of me remains 17 years old.

BIG kudoes to that young lady for rolling and pouring her own for the PPK!

Cloudpeak
01-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Cloudpeak. I'm the opposite. I have been casting 4 different boolits for the 45 ACP for about 10 years for my Para-Ordnance, and Enterprise 1911 double stacks, (and for my Kimber, Colt, and Springfield Singles) but the Guys shootin' the .40's seem to be cleaning up in IPSC. [smilie=1: It's an easy round to make major power, and less kick than the 45's,

We don't have any IPSC or any other "set of initials" around here. We do have an informal steel plate shoot. No need to worry about power factor. I do load reduced loads in the 45 just like I did in the 40. The full size 1911 is much more comfortable to shoot than the tiny XD and has a much better trigger. In fact, my LW Champion is more pleasant to shoot than the XD. The XD has been 100% reliable, though. But, I haven't had any problems with my 5" Loaded. Haven't owned the Champ long enough to tell anything except I like the way it feels and shoots.

Cloudpeak

Sundogg1911
01-15-2007, 04:18 PM
I will probably try one of the 6 cavity lee moulds for the .40
I will probably stay away from the TL mould, because I really dont want to switch the way I'm currently sizing/lubing, but for the price, I don't think that I can go wrong. If it works out I may get another 6 cavity mould in 9mm. The RCBS 124 gr. mould (looks like a football) that I have now doesnt seem to feed in anything. Even my Wife's Hi-Power chokes on them, and i've tried seating them differently, but I just think it's the odd shape.

Explorer1
01-19-2007, 01:53 AM
I have a 4-cavity Saeco 045 mould I am no longer using, could be yours for about the price of a 2-cavity mould!

Sundogg1911
01-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Explorer1, Thanks for the offer, but i never really had much luck with bevel base bullets. (I have one hell of a time in the Lyman 450, lubing them) I bought one of the 6 cavity Lee moulds in 40. I never tried one of their 6 cavity moulds, but from what others say they are made better than the double and single cavity moulds. and the price was right (I also bought one in 9mm) I have about 15 or so moulds that I may have to put in the classifieds on this site. Most of them were picked up at estate sales. If there's any that you're looking for let me know. maybe we could swap.

BigSlick
01-26-2007, 08:40 PM
I just bought the Lee 6 banger 175 TC mould. I cast several hundred today. Variation was minimal.

I haven't shot any of these yet, but I have shot a ton of these from an identical mould. A good friend gave me a few hundred bullets last Sept or so and I can tell you my 10mm's love the bullet. Better accuracy than any jacketed bullet (even XTP's) I've ever sent down the tube.

My G23 (SL barrel) likes it too. Loads easy, feeds perfectly and great accuracy with a dose of WSF.

I had good results with LLA lubed bullets. A little more smoke than I care for (until I backed off on the LLA a little) but zero leading and without a doubt my guns like it.

If you're looking for a .401 mould, this one is hard to beat. Cheap too.
________
Sell vaporizers (http://vaporizeraffiliateprogram.com)

Cherokee
01-29-2007, 05:20 PM
sundog1911 - I use the Lee 6 cavity 175-401 TC to feed my 10MM. :Fire:
I size/lube in Lyman 4500 with Thompson Red lube and do not have any problem with lube getting on the base. I really like the bullet in the 10MM.