PDA

View Full Version : ccw what do you carry how do you carry it?

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Wisconsin will have the forms ready to apply for our new shall issue CCW permits October or November

i plan to apply for a permit , not sure how often i will carry, but i like to leave my options open i would rather have spent the 10 dollars a year on a permit than not be able to carry when and how i want to

Winter carry seems easy enough in Wisconsin a sweater will cover most side arms although i would like to hear what is working for you holster and hand gun wise

summer seems like it will be more difficult

what do you carry for summer , shorts , hot weather and such, how and what holster or holsters are working for you.

bdbullets
07-22-2011, 02:28 PM
This last winter I carried in a shoulder holster, BUT for the last 6 months I have been carrying inside the waistband, in a holster I made out of Kydex and leather, kind of like the crossbreed holsters. It is very comfortable and is easy to conceal with a long t-shirt. My gun is a stainless Ultra-Compact Springfield 45.

para45lda
07-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Summer - drop my Keltec P32 in my pocket

Winter - Kimber rides in a belt slide or the SP101 is in a IWB (both are Bianchi).

Too hot here for much else.

Wes

dk17hmr
07-22-2011, 02:41 PM
I carry a bunch of different handguns through out the year. My full sized 1911 and my Kahr CW45 are my 2 primary carry guns. They both ride nicely inside my waist band behind my right hip. I also have a little Keltec 32acp when I dont want to carry my big guns around......same location as my others.

Most of the time I open carry when hunting or out and about in the desert.

9.3X62AL
07-22-2011, 02:53 PM
What Doug said, mostly. CCW gets done with Glock 23 and Bianchi OWB holster.

WildmanJack
07-22-2011, 02:55 PM
During the warmer weather a Kel TEc p32 in a wallet holster in my back (wallet) pocket. A nice surprise !! If I wear a jacket then a full size Kimber .45, my favorite sidearm..
Jack

Muddy Creek Sam
07-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Colt 1911 WW1 Repro IWB Crossdraw on front left side under shirt tail.

Sam :D

mold maker
07-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Cool weather clothes easily cover a full size 1911. Hot Weather barely hides a KAHR 40.

frank505
07-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Summer ccw is not so easy, an iwb if you are able is the best. Otherwise a loose shirt untucked will cover most anything. I dont care too much in the summer as I stay out of town and carry open sometimes. If we meet in town for supper I try to hide something, even if its a 3" J frame. After August a vest is needed and hides my 45's.

birdadly
07-22-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm in WI and I look forward to the change. I have never open carried except for at the range or while shooting on private land but I hope to CC every now and then once it's allowed. I at least want to support the right to do so, so will snag a permit.

I hope to use my Kimber Ultra Carry 1911. I bought it about 6 months ago in hopes it would pass, and have since been getting used to shooting it, as it's my first 1911 and first 45ACP. I'm a small fella, 5'10" at 150lbs, so I do worry that it might be too bulky, and then I will have to buy something new :)

In just my reading on the subject, I guess I'm leaning towards an IWB holster, but have never worn one so don't know if it'll be comfy for me. There sure are some nice looking ones out there. -Brad

Trey45
07-22-2011, 03:33 PM
NC here, 100 degrees today, around 85% humidity. Shorts, T shirt, sandals. CZ P01 in a Crossbreed Supertuck type holster. No worrys about printing or losing retention of the pistol. Carry at 4 oclock, deepest setting the holster allows, only the top of the grip is above the waistline. This same holster will also carry my CZ 75B 40S&W and my CZ 75B SA 9mm equally well, they just weigh more than the alloy framed P01. I'm perfectly comfortable with 15 rounds of 124gr +P Gold Dots.

txbirdman
07-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Here in Texas in the summer it's always hot, especially so this summer. I carry my LCP with Crimson Trace year round in my front pocket in a DeSantis pocket holster.

Carolina Cast Bullets
07-22-2011, 03:50 PM
My carry is a Taurus PT 1911 in a "small of the back" IWB holster. An untucked T shirt is usually enough to conceal it. Summer makes it tough not to print but my feeling is if I'm legal, which I am, I dont really mind.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

Char-Gar
07-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Walter PPK in a Kramer pocket holster

RU shooter
07-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Makarov behind the hip in an IWB holster hides easily with a loose shirt

oscarflytyer
07-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Crossbreed Supertuck type holster

+1 on the Crossbreed Supertuck. I am in AL, so very hot here in summer. I opted for the horsehide option and very glad I did. I also am a tucked shirt freak - normally can't stand to wear it hanging out. As such, the Crossbreed is perfect for me.

Likewise, wear it at about 4 o'clock. Opted for the inside the belt J clips as well. Great setup, and depth adjustable.

Gun is a Taurus 709 slim. I am 5'9" and 200 lbs. I can hide the gun under a T or polo very easily. Printing is not an issue. 7+1 9mm, but very small. And plenty accurate for the job. Plus comes with 2nd mag.

I use the same holster w/ untucked shirt, but more often when in T/shorts/sandals mode, I use either a Galco IWB holster or one of the simple pouch slip holsters (sorry, not sure exactly what it is, but $20 and just a slip thru pouch type holster).

The Crossbreed is an all day/dress use holster. Galco is quick slip in to run an errand during wkend. Slip holster is last minute/easy.

Trey45
07-22-2011, 04:31 PM
:D Those crossbreeds are the best thing since sliced bread if you ask me :D

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-22-2011, 05:17 PM
I have been thinking something a bit smaller would make carry much easier , the pf-9 seems like a nice size made in the usa and in 9mm

coaldust
07-22-2011, 05:35 PM
I carry a .32acp Seecamp, stainless steel, in the right front pocket. Same as my credit cards, "don't go anywhere without them".

shooterg
07-22-2011, 05:48 PM
S&W Sigma .380 in pocket holster. 1911 in glove box. AR in trunk. Bride(my backup!) totes old Colt .38 Detective Special .

imashooter2
07-22-2011, 06:00 PM
S&W 360 in a Mika pocket holster or a S&W 64 in an OWB belt holster under an untucked button front shirt left unbuttoned depending on where I'm going and what I'm wearing to go there.

Bret4207
07-22-2011, 07:31 PM
IF I carry, and most of time I don't, it's usually a Smith Bodyguard in my right front pocket, a Charter BD in a high ride over my rt kidney or a Star PD/Astra Constable shoved down in the small of my back. That's town carry. On the farm is use a holster or stick it in the box on the tractor.

lesharris
07-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Primary carry in cooler weather is Glock 26 Belt holster.
Summer carry is Ruger LCP 380 in pocket.

casterofboolits
07-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Colt Commander 45 ACP lnside the waist band holster when possiable. High Standard 12 ga. pump in the trunk.

Just bought a KelTec PF-9 for a pocket pistol as the one my brother bought was a gem. I have to take mine back as the barrel looks like it was rifeled whith a chisel.:groner:

MtGun44
07-22-2011, 08:23 PM
The evil sob in Norway reminded me of one of the reasons I carry. I am very sorry for the folks
over there. Too bad some armed citizen wasn't around but I don't know if there is any
form of CCW in Norway.

Lightwt stainless Colt Commander in a IWB behind the hip. Sparks Versamax II. Untucked loose T shirt or
other untucked shirt. I have a tucker for business wear with a tucked shirt, PF9 or Officers Ltwt ACP.
Occasionally the Keltech P380 in front pocket. Can't say enough good things about Versamax holster.

Bill

maglvr
07-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Charter arms 2" .357 or 3" .44 spl. dropped in a pocket. Quick, easy, secure and plenty of wallop for any anti-social encounters, whether on 2 or 4 legs ;)

krag35
07-22-2011, 09:39 PM
I bought the belt clip for my KelTec P11. I put it between my belt and pants, cover it with an untucked shirt. If I have to wear a tucked in shirt, an Uncle mikes IWB holster in the small of my back.

MH05
07-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Ruger SP101 .357, IWB easy to conceal, very comfortable

gunnysack
07-22-2011, 10:13 PM
P45 Kahr inside waistband Galco at 4 oclock. Winter Spring Summer and Fall. Extra mag's front left pocket. Gunnysack

Tedly
07-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Kahr PM9 in my pants pocket(no holster) when I go to Detroit or some other nasty place... American Arms .25ACP in my pocket when its too inconveient or conspicuous(sp?) to carry Kahr PM9 ....S&W Model 27 is in the truck...wife has Ruger SP101 where ever she carries it.

crabo
07-22-2011, 10:38 PM
642 in front pocket in a Tuff Products holster. Extra speed strip in holster and one in left back pocket.

https://www.tuffproducts.com/product.php?productid=16252&cat=268&page=1

It works well

How you are built is going to have a lot to do with what and how you carry.

1911sw45
07-22-2011, 11:22 PM
I carry a full size 1911 .45acp year around at the 5 o'clock position, with 2 single stack mags on the left about 9 o'clock, with an outside the waist band Black Hawk security 6 holster on a horse hide gun belt with a stiffener from Beltman. I just wear a light weight A shirt tucked in and a loose fitting button up or a large loose shirt. It's been in the 100's here all week and that is what I wear.

mongo
07-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Ruger LCP in a Blackhawk holster in cargo shorts pocket when around the house then adding a Glock23 IWB holster when going out. Just got a Crossbrees super tuck, Find it kind of uncomfortable, maybe have to break it in. Got the horsehide one.

Artful
07-23-2011, 12:16 AM
Several guns have been carried in the past - some options work better in the hot (Phoenix AZ) than when I lived in more temperate climate I used different carry - in fall/winter/spring I had a vest on so belt holster with shorter 1911 (detonics) - going to town 1911 in briefcase or fanny pack (made sure my wallet keys etc were in said fanny pack) - in summer I tried several ways to carry (shoulder holster, ankle holster, pocket carry) fanny pack worked best. Remember it's meant to be comforting not comfortable. That said slimmer and lighter is better to a point, at some point you run into controlable shooting problems (stings when you pull the trigger and you wind up with a flinch - not a good thing)

firefly1957
07-23-2011, 12:45 AM
1911 or Sig P-245 inside pants right side behind the hip I have four holsters for them. Get a holster with a metal clip if you can. I have also carried a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 the extra width of the revolver is really felt . I have a good shoulder holster for a 8 3/8" S&W model 29 that will carry comfortable and hide under a light jacket but only use it for hunting/fishing/walking in the woods it is just to much gun for self defense. Another problem as I age getting to a cross draw shoulder holster is getting harder each year!

Ed Barrett
07-23-2011, 01:01 AM
When I do carry it's a PA63 in 9mm Makarov. Very light and in the tail out sport shirt weather it is pretty well out of sight with a inside the pants holster at the small of my back. A PA63 is an alloy frame Makarov made in Hungary, sort of a Walther pp clone.

kmag
07-23-2011, 01:14 AM
Hot weather Keltek 32 in front pants pocket. The few times it has been cold enough for a coat here, I stick a mod 19 snub in my right coat pocket.

Ajax
07-23-2011, 07:49 AM
I carry a full size 1911 year round. The holster is a Don Hume JIT. All I need to conceal it is a untucked t-shirt.

Andy

Charley
07-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Carry 100% of the time, except when working. Primary carry is a Para P-12, rides in a Don hume IWB holster behind my right hip. Untucked polo shirt covers it just fine, never been made, even in some close encounters with LEOs. When I need something a bit more compact, I carry a Kel Tec P11 in a belly band under a dress shirt. Mrs. Charley usually carries a Kel Tec P32 in her front pocket.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_23144e2ae3da122dc.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1545)

Catshooter
07-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Smith & Wesson Shorty .45 at one o'clock inside the waistband. I never tuck in my shirt.

Cat

Ozarklongshot
07-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Sig- P220 45 or Kimber stainless pro carry II most of time. My job keeps me in a Pick up most all day. Around the farm in the summer its a S&W air weight .38special, snake medicine. Keep a riot gun mounted under the back seat of the personnel truck. After all a handgun is just a method to fight your way to bigger gun!!

tommygirlMT
07-24-2011, 11:08 AM
I have a lot of different carry guns and a lot of different ways to carry them --- everything from a ankle length heavy blue jean material skirt that is heavily pleated with a full bottom of material like a poofy old fashioned dress that has two leather lined pockets on each side that are tucked into the pleat folds and that I can stuff a couple of long barrel heavy caliber BFR revolvers into no problem without anyone being the wiser --- down to a swim suit top that holds two little NRA mini revolver tucked inbetween and under my breasts

Kind of like some other gals that have a closet full of shoes and a pair to go with every outfit for every occasion --- Im the same way with my guns --- I carry everywhere I possibly can all the time --- usually put it on when I get dressed right along with my other clothes and only take it off when I go to bed when I take the rest of my clothes off --- I'm one of the people who goes through the drive through at the bank and has my man drop off packages for me at the post office just because Id rather not have to leave my gun(s) in the truck --- feel half naked without them like I forgot to put on me pannies and bra on under my outer clothes

A little under half the time though --- my carry gun is a Ruger Alaskan 454 snub nose on steroids that I keep in my purse --- that is the carry option and gun I use the most

Catshooter
07-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Good for you tommygirl. One question though, in Alaska they make you disarm for a bank?

Cat

MBTcustom
07-24-2011, 05:39 PM
I carry a rock island armory 3.5" 1911. Solid steel. I carry it IWB in a holster that I made myself. I have snap studs on my belt, and the holster has two "earlobes" that snap onto the studs. Its quick concealable and strong-side handy. I made a matching spare magazine holster also.
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l481/goodsteel/100_5675.jpg

tommygirlMT
07-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Im not sure on AK --- been up there hunting with my father plenty of times but dont know if Ive ever had reason to go into a bank up there --- down 48 side though in MT where Im currently situated the concealed carry permit law specificially lists locations where the permit isnt valid --- banks is one of them

Technically --- open carry isnt prohibited in a bank but it probably wouldnt be a smart idea should one of the tellers freek out --- bars are another one --- but walking into a bar with a six shooter strapped to your side visibly dont cause a big ruckus

P.S. --- I dont drink while packing except for my own home --- a drunk chick in a public bar with a six gun sounds a little too much like trouble that results in ending up on the wrong side of a metal grate

Catshooter
07-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Nice holster Goodsteel.

Sorry Tommygirl, somehow I thought you were in Ak.

No banks, how about that. Could be worse though.

Cat

jwhite
07-24-2011, 08:58 PM
I carry a 2.25" SP101 in a Simply Rugged pancake holster, makes for a good, easy to conceal combination.
JW

Doby45
07-24-2011, 09:24 PM
If it is hotter than 70* I wear my KelTec 380 with the clip in the 4 o'clock position IWB. Any cooler than 70* and I go to the fullsize 1911 in the same spot IWB.. I am NEVER without a firearm. I carried the KelTec as my BUG inside my front left vest strap when I was LEO. I am very familiar with it and can put all 8 rounds in the vital areas lickety split.

Moondawg
07-24-2011, 09:28 PM
S&W J frame 38+P, right front pants pocket, in DeSantis pocket holster.

uncle joe
07-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Summer usually is a smith 60 in a pocket holster. sometimes in summer and in winter,
usp 45 compact in a comp tac minatour, with +p corbon hp. Very comfortable holster and I carry it over skin grafts all day.

Frozone
07-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Glock 23 SOB.

bart55
07-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Kel tec p380 in a desantis pocket nemisis holster -always .In cooler weather a colt combat commander 45 in an old 19L bianchi holster (been carrying that one for 35years ) ,and sometimes it may be a mix of others but I always carry the kel tec.I have even shot small falling plates at 25 yards with it and I can usually hit and knock them down before the timer goes off .Not every time but a good percentage of the time

Frozone
07-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Good for you tommygirl. One question though, in Alaska they make you disarm for a bank?

Cat

Only if so posted.

Otherwise only schools/school buses, tavern/bars, domestic violence shelters and courthouses are out of bounds legally.
That includes Open carry as well as Concealed.
You Must notify a peace officer you are carrying immediately upon being contacted.
You also can't carry into someone's home without their permission.

vmthtr
01-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Commander size 45 most of the time in a Nates IWB holster, just bought a 2" Detective Special in 38. http://www.wix.com/jennat5/natescustomholsters#! The tan IWB holster pictured is mine.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Sig P220 IWB and a loose shirt here

WDS
01-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Walther PPK in a jacket chest pocket. I had a mouse pad sewn under the outer skin of the jacket to prevent the gun from printing through.

gandydancer
01-16-2012, 09:28 PM
LCR 38+p in left front pocket S & W 1911 full size on right hip in a high ride holster. and a NAA 5 shot W/22 stingers in right front shirt pocket. in colder weather only, summer time the LCR & NAA 5 shot

archmaker
01-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Depends on what I am wearing, but generally it is between a 1911 Taurus (which I prefer) or my Ruger SR9c.

T-Shirts during the summer, no problem with it printing if the T-Shirt is big enough, also most people notice the graphics on my shirts instead of seeing a bump on my right side. (48yr old man wearing a computer hacking shirt with loud graphics seems to distract them :) )

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-16-2012, 09:34 PM
dragging up old posts , well i asked every one so , i will let you know what i settled on

i have found a few things that work for me
with a cover garment a belt holster for full size works just fine , but i get warm easy so unless i am in a place that is very likely to stay cold that only works for a while

my old 32 S&W revolver in a pocket holster worked fine but it is old and not what i was looking for in a defensive carry gun

my new carry gun is a ruger LC9, it works for me , big enough to comfortably shoot small enough to put in a pocket or hide easily with an un-tucked t shirt , powerfull enough - our local PD uses 9mm, easy to find ammo for without breaking the bank , brass isn't hard to find either

some of my other criteria was that it had to be made in the USA

i have a alabama holsters , pocket holster on order and a Kholster tuckable IWB

if i am wearing pants with larger pockets the lc9 fits nicely if not , IWB

snuffy
01-17-2012, 04:31 AM
Me too Pete! My Ruger LC9 fits just fine in my jeans right front pocket. People don't even know I have it. I never "dress up" so it can travel with me whenever, wherever. I sometime forget, other time just choose not to carry.

I also never wear shorts, so even in summer time I can be armed. All I can say is it's about time! We can now defend ourselves AND our homes. The new castle law simplifies who gets challenged in our homes and our cars. Coupled with CCW, it's made the state much safer feeling.

justingrosche
01-17-2012, 04:51 AM
My most constant companion is my S&W 640 in a galco pocket holster. In the winter time such as this, when I can wear a heavy coat, I either carry a 657 6" in a galco shoulder rig, or my Sig Sauer 1911 in a galco Fletch.

missionary5155
01-17-2012, 05:19 AM
Good morning
Down here in Peru I carry (walking around town) using a Hip-Grip on basicly 2 revolvers. A 5 shot 38 Special Rossi or a S&W13-3 3". Desert walking or on the motorcycle it is a S&W19-5 3.5" in a shoulder holster.
Up north there in the U.S.of A. it is a Taurus Titanium 4" 41 mag or a 3 shot Scanadium 38 Special .
Mike in Peru

starmac
01-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Is it not a problem for you to carry down there in peru. Do you have to have a ccw or can you just carry.

Catshooter
01-17-2012, 10:28 PM
misssionary,

Couple of questions for you: I've never heard of a 3.5" model 19. Got any back story on it? And a three shot Scandium .38? Huh? Got pics of both?

Cat