PDA

View Full Version : Swaging what case to make a good .323" bullet ?.

gew98
07-22-2011, 01:39 PM
I love reading all the excellent work guys do hear swaging various pistol calibers into rifle bullets. My desire is to be able to do this and manufacture 155 -to 175 grain .323" bullets seeing as I have so many 7,92 mauser rifles.
Has anyone done this specifically and if so an advice on baseline cost to have the 'equipment' in hand to make them ?.

b2riesel
07-22-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm also interested in this topic. I just bought a very pristine Yugo Mauser that I've fallen in love with. BTSniper can have us the dies...but what brass we can use for that weight target I don't know. Sure would be nice if we could just use 9mm for EVERYTHING! The stuff is just so cheap to use.

scrapcan
07-22-2011, 03:53 PM
have a look at BT's thread on drawing the 9mm case for use in 30 caliber. You might actually be able to do exactly that for 8mm.

You might see if the thread gives you an idea of how long the drawn case ends up.

You can also look at his thread on using tubing. that will definitely get the job done.

MIBULLETS
07-22-2011, 04:14 PM
I have made 180 to 190 gr 35 cal rifle bullets with the 9 mm case. They had a good sized lead tip on them, so a 175 in 8 mm should be doable. It should work just fine for 8 mm jackets. The key is get it reduced to the correct size for use as a jacket. It would probably work best with around 3 different reductions maybe 2 if you have a swaging press or a power press.

BT Sniper
07-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Well there is always possiblities. Some are cheaper then others.

So lets see what would make a good 8mm jacket?

FN 5.7x28 is .316 to start with and would work up to probaly 190 grains but can be hard to find and costly
5/16 copper tubing easy to finsd but about 10 cents per jacket
.223 would work out well actually but a bit of a challenge to size down but is easy to find and nearly as cheap as 9mm.
30 carbine is PERFECT for 8mm all the way up to 250 grains but will most likly upset a lot of 30 carbine shooters seeing their brass used for jackets and is costly too.
the 38spc would actually work well too. Just shear the rim and size down. cheap and easy to find

For my choice, well...... depends what you have access to? I will try 223 and 38 spc brass for ease to find and cheap.

Thants my opinion

BT

b2riesel
07-22-2011, 09:28 PM
well I can get tons of .38 Special brass....so that should work great....but you may have to expound on the idea of 'shearing' the rim....I'm assuming you mean cutting with a chop saw...unless you have a mechanical device that cuts using a pinching motion thru brass.

MIBULLETS
07-23-2011, 10:09 AM
I have seen a shear die that Richard Corbin makes. You actually push the brass through a die that shears the rim or belt off of a case to use it as a jacket.

BT Sniper
07-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Operates like MI said for shearing the rim off. Basicly pusing entire case threw a .375 hole and leaves rim behind.