PDA

View Full Version : It looks like Maine Has Joined the No-Lead Wheelweight Bandwagon

Jon
07-22-2011, 10:43 AM
I talked to a guy at the tire shop down the road. They are only using steel wheel weights now. They can't even get the lead ones. :sad:

cabezaverde
07-22-2011, 11:54 AM
New York and California did it. I think that with those two states, the WW manufacturers won't bother making anything that doesn't comply.

Gotta remember that 99% of the population thinks wheelweights are for balancing tires.

birdadly
07-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Gotta remember that 99% of the population thinks wheelweights are for balancing tires.

That took me a good 15 seconds to figure out that WE'RE the other 1% :)

I've been told WI will be joining the effort of no lead WW's, but it isn't in effect everywhere yet. A few larger chain stores told me that. -Brad

cabezaverde
07-22-2011, 01:31 PM
I believe all of the other states are going to have the ban in effect, whether they legislate it or not. There won't be any lead ww's anyway.

New York and California have a majority of automobile ownership in the country. The major chain's are not going to mass buy ban compliant and non ban wheelweights for different states.

Since they (major chains) probably drive the market for the ww manufacturers, the market will shake out to all compliant ww's. I don't believe the mom and pop shops in the non ban states generate enough business to force the continuation of lead ww manufacture, even if they did care enough to ask for them.

mold maker
07-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Iron WWs are cheaper to produce and will pass muster in all states. Zinc WWs cost the same or more to make, as lead and are easily confused with lead, without close examination.
Look for the end of lead WWs, world wide, before long. Those of us who have hoarded them for years will be the ones with, and everybody else will have to scramble, to find other sources, or buy from the haves.
Do all you can to see that WWs, aren't sold for scrap, at any price below buying alloy. It is an investment, in your shooting future, that you won't get again, in your lifetime.

fredj338
07-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Yeah, welcome to my world.[smilie=b:

mroliver77
07-23-2011, 08:25 AM
With the great difference in specific gravity of PB to FE, I would think an FE WW would be huge compared to a PB WW.

In Ohio FE WW will be rusting and staining rims like crazy!

madsenshooter
07-23-2011, 03:22 PM
I noticed on some greenie site they were claiming the dust from lead WW was contaminating the roadside. Nevermind the generations of tetra-ethyl lead spewing tailpipes that really did it. Since a lot of the lead WW are painted, how do you suppose dust comes from them?

mongo
07-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Just started casting last year, All of the shops that supplied me with ww dried up. Started melting range scrap. As long as my range is there and people keep buying bullets and shooting I can continue with my new hobby that lets me shoot as much as I want to. Improvise, adapt and overcome is what you learn living in a liberal infested state. Tommy

Charlie Two Tracks
07-24-2011, 11:55 AM
I have more lead than I can shoot right now but I keep getting the WW for future trading. I just traded some for a .358 WC mold. No one else uses this source of WW and two years ago (just before I found out) he piled 9 buckets of WW into a ton truck and took the to the recycler. What a shame. It costs me $20.00 a pail and a 6 pack of Busch light. After the 1st of the year, Illinois will be one of the no lead states.