PDA

View Full Version : Best lead hardness tester?

John F.
01-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Hi, folks,
I am thinking it's time to get a lead hardness tester, and I would like one that
works well, is repeatable, and is easy to use. I'm not worried about saving money nearly as much as I am about getting accurate results -- preferably
within a couple BHN points deviation at most.

What lead hardness testers have you used and especially liked? Any downsides to any of the popular models, or any extra good models available?

All information will be most appreciated!
John

STP
01-12-2007, 09:40 PM
I have the luxury of a borrowed early Saeco Lead Hardness Tester. (U.S. Patent No. 3,524,343) It is machined steel and not the current version, made of some sort of gold colored alloy. I prefer to cast test bullets in the larger calibers (.44 or .45) with a wide flat nose profile to insure the best results, but it`s usefulness is a matter of opinion.... as you will probably soon read by the following responses.

hawk223
01-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Hi,

I looked into this a while back. It seems that the tester made by Cabin Tree is the best. Here is the website: http://www.castingstuff.com/cabinetree_loading_products.htm

It appears that you can also buy this one off of http://www.buffaloarms.com/.

I have not purchased it yet but it is the one I am going to get unless someone here points me in a different direction.

waksupi
01-12-2007, 10:55 PM
I've had a Saeco, didn't care for it. I got a Cabin Tree, and the devil has gotten behind me, unable to tempt me furthur. It is the best. And, Gussy is a board member here!

John F.
01-12-2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the replies! How exactly does the Cabin Tree work?

John

kenjuudo
01-13-2007, 12:29 AM
Another vote for the Cabin Tree, more versitile than the LBT and easier on old eyes than the Lee.

jim

waksupi
01-13-2007, 01:21 AM
The Cabin Tree has a dial indicator, that gives very clear readings. The best thing is, you can test other things aside from bullets, such as an ingot.
I believe you can also check runout with it, but haven't done it, so don't remember for sure. Maybe gussy will see this, and check in. If not, go to the web site for description, and/or email him.

Springfield
01-13-2007, 01:40 AM
I like my LBT. He says it isn't accurate testing ingots but it has proven to be pretty close. I can ceratinly tell the difference between pure lead ingots and wheelweights, which is good if you buy used ingots from guys like I sometimes do. Certainly more accurate than hitting them and listening for the "ding". Very easy to test regular bullets.

Dale53
01-13-2007, 01:43 AM
I've used my LBT for several years with satisfaction. I had a Saeco and was very unhappy with it.

However, if I were buying new, I would probably go with the Cabinetree as I like its construction. That said, I will stay with my LBT as it does all I need.

Dale53

Dye
01-13-2007, 11:37 AM
JohnF
They all have their quirks. You will get the best readings if you use a 38 or 44
wad-cutter caliber bullet.which ever one you buy get some known alloys and
set that up your standard. If you buy the Cabin -Tree. When you are testing
almost pure lead take the reading as soon as you test it or the reading will be off
and high- light the numbers with gold paint. I have all of the common testers and will
answer your questions if you p-m me. I just won,t post my opinions on a public board

Be carefull Dye

John F.
01-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks very much, guys, this is a great help! Dye, that is outstanding advice,
to set up a reference alloy as a known standard -- thanks!! I appreciate it,
and will PM you for more info.

I appreciate everyone's help, and hope you have a great weekend!

John

Hunter
01-14-2007, 03:58 AM
I have a Lee hardness tester and in good light it is not bad to use. It seems to be pretty close giving repeating results on the same alloy or pure lead. I know it is not perfect but for the money I believe it to be a quality tool.

kodiak1
01-14-2007, 08:53 PM
If you want a lead tester get a CABIN TREE! If you want to spend money get what ever else you like. After getting my Cabin Tree sold my Saeco and my LEE.
My 2 cents worth Ken.

Lloyd Smale
01-14-2007, 09:50 PM
same here i sold my lbt and my seaco
If you want a lead tester get a CABIN TREE! If you want to spend money get what ever else you like. After getting my Cabin Tree sold my Saeco and my LEE.
My 2 cents worth Ken.

montana_charlie
01-15-2007, 02:21 PM
I was watching an episode of CSI a week or so back.

Cathryn and the other female (Kelly?) are looking at blood spatter on a wall when Cathryn asks for Kelly's "micrometer". Out of her beltful of goodies, Kelly produces a silver cylinder which Cathryn places against the wall and peers through.

When the camera shot changes to show her view, you see a blood spot on the wall bracketed within a scale imprinted on the lens.
Then, the camera pans back to a profile shot showing her looking in the tube with one end firmly against the wall, as the character says her next catchy line.

If that "micrometer" wasn't the 'microscope' from a Lee Hardness Tester Kit, I'll eat my hat...and yours.

So, now you know that the device can be used for more than just testing lead...it's also a belt-transported, crime scene micrometer, which can tell you how fast blood was moving when it hit the wall - by measuring the diameter of the droplets with a magnified scale.

Might be handy when following a blood trail in the woods...if you're up against a wall.

Can the Cabin Tree, LBT, or Saeco units do THAT?
CM

TCLouis
01-15-2007, 07:56 PM
I think one will find that the Lee magnifing measuring device is a standard low budget machine shope device available from many of the industrial suppliers (MSC etc).
This is not meant to knock Lee's products as it is smart business when one uses a standard product already on the market. One only has to look at my loading area to see that I do support Lee.

I guess I like their design because I had pland to make a device much like theirs out of an ok die and had/still haven't gotten around to it.

The concept is not unlike that set forth in the old Lyman Cast Boolit manual except the load is against a spring loading based standard, rather than a ball bearing and vise to apply pressure, indent the metal standards s and compare the diameter of the indetions in each.

Math is bound to be the same.

MGySgt
01-15-2007, 08:02 PM
I believe you can also check runout with it, but haven't done it, so don't remember for sure. Maybe gussy will see this, and check in. If not, go to the web site for description, and/or email him.

Only if your model has that feature. When I bought mine it had the extra parts for checking run out. You could also check your cases to see if the wall thickness is the same all around.

I have a SAECO and Cabin Tree - guess which one is in the box and I don't know where the box is, don't really care where it is either. Since I got the Cabin Tree built for a lefty (they drilled the holes on the wrong side and I am a Lefty so I got it for a few $$$ less) I don't want to hassel with the Saeco - Suppose I should sell it.

Drew