PDA

View Full Version : I've been a bad boy

Frank46
07-21-2011, 11:45 PM
I asked my wife of 28 years that I would like a long octagon bbld 94 winchester in 30-30. This is my 65th birthday present from her. So I got the green light and called
Cherry's as they had a Canadian cenntenial with the 26" long octagob bbl new in the box (1967) for $600. I've only seen used ones for the same money. Stopped off
at my friendly dealers and picked it up today. I love it!!!!!. been cleaning the gruda outta the bbl and it sure is a beautiful rifle. Unfortunately cannot shoot it until 10/11/11 my birthday. So before I give it to her I'll finish cleaning it, slug the bore and get a mold for it. Gotta love my wife. Think I'll replace the front sight with a globe type and get either a williams or maybe a tang sight. Has anyone used a tang sight similar to that used for bpcr rifles on a 94?. And also need a little help trying to figure out what the spacing is for the two receiver sight mounting screws is on the receiver. Or I could get an adaptor plate and use a couple of steel target sights instead. Funny thing though, I have cataracts and can easily see the bead on the front sight when using the buckhorn sights. Thanks, Frank

Nrut
07-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Frank,
Take a look at this thread:
http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?p=34524

John Kort posts here at castboolits as w30wcf..

I have used his H414 loads in my .32 Spec. (one range session only) and they seem to shoot very well..

Frank46
07-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Nrut, thanks for posting that link. Imagine a 30-30 with the 311284 at 1000yds. Our range only goes out to 300yds but there is talk about building a separate 1000yd range for hi power, bpcr and the 50 caliber shooters. Would be interesting to see the results at 1000yds with just about any rifle. Frank

KYCaster
07-22-2011, 11:44 PM
I have one like that. I think it's a bit heavy for a walk-about gun, but it is a joy to shoot off hand.

I added a globe front sight from Brownell's and have a Marble's tang sight to install. Unfortunately, that requires drilling through some of that pretty gold filled lettering. Not a problem for me...I got mine used. It had been shot some and has had a couple of internal parts replaced so it's a shooter, not a collector.

I've had fair results with a few different boolits, but I always get vertical stringing with the barrel mounted iron sights. Maybe the tang sight will help, we'll see.

You shouldn't have any problem finding aperture sights to fit your '94 without adding any holes.

Enjoy :drinks:
Jerry

fecmech
07-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Those holes in the receiver are for scope mounts. Williams makes a receiver peep sight that fits the rear set of holes. If you get the FP sight for the 94 you can buy a target knob for the elevation (get the long one) about $4.. What looks like cracks on the top of the sight is glue from some tape I had on it.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26035/Product/MARLIN___WINCHESTER_LEVER_ACTION_FIRE_SIGHTS

Frank46
07-23-2011, 10:27 PM
Been using the williams rear sight on all of my marlins and winchesters. Good sight for the money. Does anyone know the spacing on the holes in the receiver?. Will most likely be shot off the bench as I no longer hunt. Thanks, Frank.

fecmech
07-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Frank--the FP 94AE sight fits the holes in your receiver.

Frank46
07-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Fecmech, The reason I ask about the hole spacing on the 94 winchester is that I have a redfield
adaptor or mounting plate and would like to drill a few sets of holes slightly larger than the holes in the receiver and since I have one each redfield olympic and international would like to try one of them on the '94. Silly I know but something to think on. Frank

fecmech
07-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Using a caliper and my uncalibrated eyeballs looks like the spacing for the rear mount holes are.800".

Frank46
07-26-2011, 12:21 AM
Fecmech, thanks to you and the calibrated MarkI eyeballs. Frank