PDA

View Full Version : Redding GR-X Die

Roundnoser
07-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Redding GR-X die for resizing 40 S&W brass?

I see there are two versions...Steel and Carbide. The steel die runs about $30 and the carbide is $70+

How well do they work? I would probably lube the cases either way, so is there a big advantage / disadvantage between the steel and carbide?

Thanks.

oltimer2
07-21-2011, 10:01 PM
I have one and use it on all my .40 S&W brass. I don't recall the dimensional stuff off the top of my head but it does work well. I have the original steel version. The cases go thru the sizing die on my press with ease after the x-die. Dan

hornady
07-22-2011, 07:36 AM
I have used the Redding G-RX die in steel for about a year, works great.
I have read guys have had good results with the Lee bulge buster as well, never used it but I hear you need the Lee factory crimp die to use it.
The Lee is cheaper and carbide, I am just not one of the many Lee fans.

If you do go with the G-RX die you can buy a catch bottle for the cases you push thru it, I just made my own, very simple to make something up.

Firebricker
07-23-2011, 10:30 AM
I have the steel version and it works very well. I use the sizing wax every few cases or use spray lube. So if your going to lube the cases any way save the $ and get the steel. I'm not certain but I think with carbide you would wind up using lube every few cases anyway. FB

flashhole
07-23-2011, 11:38 AM
I have the Lee Bulge Buster but didn't buy it as a kit. I have the Lee Deluxe Die Set and the Lee 401 Sizing Kit. I cast my own bullets with the Lee 6-Cavity mold with the Lee Pro 4-20 Bottom Pour Pot, thus the Sizing Kit.

The plunger in the sizing kit works with the Lee Carbide Crimp Die when you pull the guts out of the die. I use a Lee Classic Turret or Lee Classic Cast to push the brass up through the die and eliminate the bulge. The plunger fits the press like a shell holder. Great setup and inexpensive (note I didn't say cheap). I've adopted a routine of pushing every case through the die to ensure uniformity. You still have to FL size the brass for loading.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Lee equipment I have. It works great and is high quality. Best value on the market IMO.

zardoz
07-23-2011, 01:06 PM
I've used both the Lee FCD die method, with internals removed and a .401 sizer pusher, and the Redding GRX die. Both worked well for me. I had a large lot of once fired 40 S&W, and many rounds would not chamber fully after a regular full length resize. After I learned about the "loose chamber" guppy bulges that some brass exhibited, I went hunting for the solution. If I remember right, the GRX does a tiny bit better job from a dimensional standpoint, but from functional I can tell no difference.

After the Lee FCD die, or GRX rework, all the chambering problems were solved. BTW, I also used it on some 1X fired nickel plate 10mm with good results as well.