PDA

View Full Version : HP'd my .40 S&W SWC

Rangefinder
07-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Well, I just can't leave well enough alone... :D I HP'd one cavity on my 6-banger 175gr. SWC for my .40. I'm really intending to do a solid write-up on how to do this easily, as I have it down to a very reliable method now without needing 10K in machining tools.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l259/hillsjim/DSCF6292.jpg

The details:

It drops at 160gr. with the pin set right to the base of the front drive band. I loaded it the same as I do the solids--4.4gr. Red Dot, and fired through a water jug and into a dry phone book catch. It tumbled through the phone books, so I folded the expansion a bit and peeled about 12 grains in the paper. But, WOW! It really expanded well and was devastating on the jug with 50/50 WW and dead-soft blend. I think I like it!

RobS
07-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Looks good and I would be interested in reading your write-up and process on HP'ing the molds.

para45lda
07-21-2011, 04:40 PM
[smilie=s:

Me too!

Rangefinder
07-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Well then---some night after work real soon I'll transfer the whole process from the depths of my head to 1's and 0's here. ;) Stay tuned...

para45lda
07-21-2011, 04:54 PM
:popcorn:

Can't wait to see it.

hicard
07-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Great looing hp. Well centered too. Can't wait for the instruction manual.

Zombie Whisperer
07-22-2011, 03:29 PM
That's awesome, I sent mine to Erik and had him do up 3 cavities, and he did an darn good job, but I like to experiment and want to try different cavity sizes to see how well they work with different alloys, and velocities. I am anxiously awaiting your writeup.

BCall
07-22-2011, 03:37 PM
That's awesome, I sent mine to Erik and had him do up 3 cavities, and he did an darn good job, but I like to experiment and want to try different cavity sizes to see how well they work with different alloys, and velocities. I am anxiously awaiting your writeup.

He did this on a Lee 6 cavity mold? I was under the impression he didn't work on lee molds. Would be very interested in seeing pics of what he did. Thanks, Billy

Zombie Whisperer
07-22-2011, 05:32 PM
I posted the pictures of Erik's work here.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=1341687#post1341687

I can't wait to see how it can be done without sending it out.

Rangefinder
07-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Well, I had a chance to test the new HP on water jugs without a stiff backer to deform expansion results. I'll put pics up shortly. In short, it stopped in the back of the third gallon jug with about 25gr. loss and expanded to .647 across the widest part of the nose. I'll likely soften the alloy a little more to see if I can't keep a bit more nose intact. For this one though... The front jug was all but shredded from such rapid expansion, well beyond the Federal Hydro-shoks I'd done the same test on. It tumbled through the second jug with an entry hole almost perfectly matching the profile with a wide-open nose cavity, and what was peeled off was in the second jug, not the first. I think I like this mod even more now. And the testing continues--next with bone simulation and denim outer on wet-packs.

Also, I've started putting together some photos and such to compile a "How-To" post for doing your own HP mod, as promised in the first post here. It's coming--just taking a little time.

HiVelocity
07-27-2011, 07:59 PM
I'd be interested also in your HP process.

"Purdy Boolits" in the photos.

HV[smilie=l:

slide
07-27-2011, 08:04 PM
That is outstanding stuff! Can't wait to see it.

Jal5
07-28-2011, 11:00 AM
good work. Can't wait for your description of the process.
Joe

Rangefinder
07-29-2011, 12:51 PM
Making progress on the tutorial! Busy as heck right now, but I should have it in a new thread by next week--maybe sooner if I have a bout of insomnia between now and then :D

Buckshot
07-31-2011, 12:18 AM
.............A couple suggestions. Keep the same alloy and try a HP pin half the length of the current one. Or grind a 'step' to reduce the pin's OD maybe halfway down. The wider opening in the nose and more generous diameter will start the mushroom, but as it begins to have an effect on the boolit lower down the reduced OD will slow the spreading of the nose.

.................Buckshot

Rangefinder
08-02-2011, 02:19 PM
The write-up is poster. Go HERE for it: http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=123677