PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand from CMP

01-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Have long been putting off getting a M1 from CMP to complete the WWII triumvirate and have never bought anything from them. Just got all the paperwork done (I think) and surfed over to the site to get serious about ordering. Looks like all that is available are field (Greek returns) and rack grade. What would it be suggested I get (or wait for)? I know they used to have some plain language stuff on the site about what to expect from each grade, but I don't see it now.

Don't plan on competing with it or anything, just target shooting an:-D d saying "I have one." I'd prefer it have walnut on it, so that tends to steer me away from the Greek returns.

Oh, can someone spot me about $450 too?

corvette8n
01-12-2007, 07:50 PM
I think you should get the chrome one [smilie=1:
I bought my rack grade about three years ago and a 1903 springfield two years ago, pleased with both.
I also picked up the Mossberg 44US when they were available.
Procrastinated on the M1917's and they are gone for now.
I plan on jumping on a M1 carbine if possible.
If you get one you don't like sell it and try again.
At the local gun shows the cheapest M1 Garands are around $700.00.

floodgate
01-12-2007, 08:07 PM
0802:

A neighbor just got a "rack grade" M1 from CMP. He wanted the field grade, and cut a check for that, but checked the wrong box. When he saw that on the order feedback notice, he called CMP, got a nice lady who said the "fields" were all gone, but she'd fix him up. A couple weeks ago, he got one in really nice shape, with excellent wood (walnut!), AND a refund for the difference between "rack" and "field". There ARE some very decent bureaucrats out there! I HOPE I was one when I was a bureaucrat (the good ones are the ones you don't notice, because they just do their jobs).

floodgate

garandsrus
01-12-2007, 08:14 PM

I would get the field grade, especially if you only plan to get one... It will be nicer than the rack grade and should be more accurate. Many/most of the Greek returns have walnut stocks. You could add a note to your order asking for a walnut stock. I am pretty sure they would not have any trouble honoring that request as probably 80% + have walnut.

Unless someone carved something in the stock (rare) there is absolutely no difference with a Garand Greek return verses one that never left the US.

The 03's that came back from Greece had the stock stamped with a number and the bolt handle was engraved. This is not true of the Garands.

John

eka
01-12-2007, 10:27 PM
I got a service grade about eight months ago. All walnut and 95% parkerizing. I'm very happy with it. I detail stripped it and gave it a through cleaning. I degreased the stock and re-oiled it with tung oil. I adjusted the shine with some 0000 steel wool and a light touch. I had to tighten the front sight up by peening the splines with a 1/4 drill bit laid across the splines and tapped lightly. I applied a drop or two of blue Loctite and now the front sight resembles Dick's hatband. Haven't gotten around to shooting it, but I will very soon. I hope it shoots close to as good as it looks. Those folks at CMP were a first class bunch of people to deal with too.

Regards

Keith

NickSS
01-13-2007, 06:33 AM
I got two field grade Greek returns and they both are fine shooters. One has a great bore with lots of life left the other less so but both shoot ok. M1s are drying up and may be gone soon except for odds and ends that pop up now and then. I have not bought a rack grade but they are generally more warn. The Stocks on both of mine needed lots of work. I replaced one of then completely with a new stock from CMP and the other I refinished and lifted a lot of dents but did not get all of them. I think the dents make it more interesting.

Boz330
01-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Don't know if this is true, but a friend of mine that has purchsed a number of M1s said that the CMP folks told him that in approximately 3 years the remainder would dry up. I also was told not to buy an 03A3 sight unseen since most that were left are REALLY bad. If you can go there fine.

Bob

eka
01-13-2007, 02:59 PM
I noticed the other day that CMP had some 03A3s and was ready to jump on one of them, but then noticed they were returned ceremonial rifles with little to no rifleing left in the barrels. So, I decided to pass. So, it sounds like what you are hearing is true, Bob.

Keith

OBXPilgrim
01-13-2007, 11:18 PM
If you've ever wanted one, you better jump on it. I've gotten a couple from CMP and it can run the gamit. One might get one in pretty decent shape and one pretty rough.

I went there (Anniston Army Depot) years ago and helped them for a few days. They test fire each and every one before it goes out the door (at least they did then). Hardest original item to find in decent shape is the stock, so you might as well go ahead and plan on buying a new one & be done with it.

I'll never forget the day the long brown box showed up at my (ex-marine) father-in-laws house. He gave the knife to me to open the box - I wouldn't do it. It was from the CMP M1D Sniper lottery drawing - he got a very nice looking M1D WINCHESTER.

He got his money's worth!!

Ken O
01-14-2007, 11:25 PM
There is no difference in appearance between the Service, Rack, Field, grades. The grade has to do how the throut and muzzle gage out, so a rack grade will have to be rebarreled sooner than the others. It probably won't matter, because Garand matches are shot at very short range (200 yards), so you probably wont have to ever rebarrel. It you are planning on shooting it XTC, then you would want to rebarrel when you get the flyers at the 600 yard line, again, very few shoot these XTC. Go to the CMP website and read how they are graded. A Service grade is no prettier than a Rack grade, its all the luck of the draw.

hydraulic
01-15-2007, 10:48 PM
I bought 12 rack grades figuring on putting together a couple for me and giving the rest to the sons-in-law and nephews and pedaling the rest to hunting buddies. All of them were good mechanically, although the WWII rifles had very little finish left on the metal. All of the stocks were bad. BAD!! Three were birch, the rest were every color from blonde to black, and none of the handguards matched. They shoot good, and they work good, and they are a genuine U.S. issue M1. I don't know if they're worth $417 though.

Safeshot
01-25-2007, 03:36 AM
I would like to order one. Now that Christmas is over it is time to save some pennies to get one. Good luck

charlie / sw mo
01-25-2007, 11:36 PM
i was in fl last week and dropped in to look over the cmp setup on the way back to mo. wasnt much impressed with the 03 rifles-- but then i bought one the day i left mo so didnt need one. i did pick up a rack grade greek garand for 395 and a danish rack grade less wood for 295. got 2 22cal mossburgs (m44) for 100 each. got a suprise there--i gave them to a friend to clean up--these rifles have a plastic triggerguard and were stamped made in canada(on the triggerguard) and i think the date was 1938. the other pearl i picked up is a MANN accuracy barrel cal 30 carbine. it looks like its never been fired--now iv got to find an 03 springfield stock for it. as i think back i missed one i should have bought. they had a rack of about10 or so mark 1 03 barreled actions there that looked as new but no bolts or anything on them--they were 125 ea. looking forward to when they release the carbines--10 hr drive from me and ill be on thier doorstep the day after they relese them

charlie in sw mo

smokemjoe
01-26-2007, 01:11 AM
Charlie: What the bore like on the Danish without wood. I am ordering one Friday, Thanks, Smokemjoe

charlie / sw mo
01-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Charlie: What the bore like on the Danish without wood. I am ordering one Friday, Thanks, Smokemjoe

the danish has a good shiney bore with no dark spots or pits and the overall condition was better than i expected. i didnt see anything on the racks that looked too bad on the outside but then the yardstick used was the muzzle and throat wear. there was 6 or 7 other buyers there while i was looking around and they were gaugeing everything --next time i go back ill have a gauge.
charlie in sw mo