PDA

View Full Version : Lee 230TC in .45 ACP

Hopalong
07-21-2011, 03:51 PM
I've started loading these bullets for my SA 1911, and I'm having some trouble with the seating operation. They seem to be hard to seat, and sometimes the operation seems to push a ring of lead ahead of the case mouth. Currently I'm doing seating and crimping (taper) in the same operation--do I need to first seat and then crimp in a different step? I've sized the bullets to .452". I really like this bullet since the rounds feed well and it's accurate. Any ideas?

AggieEE
07-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Not to ask the obivious question, but how much bell are you putting on the case mouth? I've had lead rings when I didn't have enough bell. I set my expander so that I can get the base of the bullet to sit about 1/32" inside the mouth of the case.
AggieEE

fryboy
07-21-2011, 04:55 PM
hmmm other than one barrel that only prefers round noses i've had great luck with this mold , the slight bevel base makes starting it really easy ( but a pain to regular lube size , ok ok a wipe of pain but lolz ) on one machine i seat crimp same time on the other in separate steps and i too have to wonder about the expanding/belling , i'd try it first separately and make sure that you're not trying to crimp excessively and if it still shows up try expanding bit more , g'luck

Moonie
07-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Also keep in mind that you do not want to crimp at the same time you are seating, that can and will raise a ring of lead depending on how much crimp you are using.

mdi
07-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Case mouth flare and bullet diameter. Check both. Also when you seat and crimp in one operation, the bullet is still moving down as the crimp is being finished/pushed into the side of the bullet. Separate the steps...

Muskyjerk
07-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Started the same thing today

I barely belled the case mouth.

At first I loaded too long. had one of the lube rings showing, still under the overall length but it wouldnt lock up.

I took my barrel out and got the head space right

trying them tomorrow..

edit: got 10 rounds through with starter loads (4.7gr red dot (I got 8lbs of the stuff))

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c382/muskyjerk/IMG_0201.jpg

mine are the 452 tumble lube.

RCBS die " seat and crimp"

frkelly74
08-01-2011, 03:53 PM
I could not get rounds that look like muskyjerks to feed and chamber in my RIA 1911A1. I had to seat the boolit all the way down to where the angle of the boolit was flush with the mouth of the case. I Seat and crimp in separate operations also. I use just enough crimp to take out the bell and no more.