PDA

View Full Version : www.psclicks.com

kywoodwrkr
07-21-2011, 09:59 AM
www.psclicks.com
What is this?
It really screws up my navigation here!
If you go to the website, it is "The largest network for first responder, Shooting and Military ad Content".
When I first sign on to this site in the morning, my computer just sits here waiting for a response from that site.
Anyone have any insight into this critter?
Can I bypass it anyway?
Thanks.

felix
07-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Damn right! It needs to go! ... felix

sundog
07-21-2011, 10:41 AM
click view, page source, and then do a find for 'psclicks'. you'll see it imbedded in the code for this page in several places.

i agree, just as soon not have it.

wiljen
07-21-2011, 11:00 AM
add an entry to your hosts file that maps www.psclicks.com to 127.0.0.1 and it will keep it from connecting to it.

waksupi
07-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Where do I find host files?

oneokie
07-21-2011, 11:32 AM
start, my computer, local disk (C: ), Windows, system 32, drivers, etc

Recluse
07-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Wow. It's REALLY dragging the site down today. I'm averaging a little over 90 seconds just to connect ("waiting on psclicks.com").

Some days you don't even notice it and it's a non-factor, but some days it just keeps you away.

Wiljen: Is there any benefit (financially) to Cast Boolits for having this psclicks thing connected to the site/forum?

:coffee:

Ben
07-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Yes, it does seem very slow today.

Ben

BD
07-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Big PITA some days, other days it just blips by?
BD

alamogunr
07-21-2011, 12:35 PM
start, my computer, local disk (C: ), Windows, system 32, drivers, etc

OK! I got as far as "drivers". It is the "etc" that has me stumped. I don't find psclicks anywhere and what is there might as well be in Russian. Can someone hold my hand and guide me the rest of the way so I don't have to spend all day waiting for "Cast Boolets"?

EDIT: I found etc. but not www.psclicks.com

SharpsShooter
07-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Time for it to go! That's the polite version.

SS

oneokie
07-21-2011, 12:42 PM
OK! I got as far as "drivers". It is the "etc" that has me stumped. I don't find psclicks anywhere and what is there might as well be in Russian. Can someone hold my hand and guide me the rest of the way so I don't have to spend all day waiting for "Cast Boolets"?

EDIT: I found etc. but not www.psclicks.com

Open the etc folder, there should be a file named "hosts". Do an internet search on how to edit that file. And a search for the IP address for "psclicks.com"

TCFAN
07-21-2011, 12:50 PM
add an entry to your hosts file that maps www.psclicks.com to 127.0.0.1 and it will keep it from connecting to it.

I found the host file but from there I am lost. Can you walk us through this so I don't do something stupid.......Thanks........Terry

alamogunr
07-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Well! I guess it worked. Cast Boolets just snaps up on the screen now.

If it helps, the IP address of psclicks.com is 74.217.207.167

45nut
07-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Wiljen: Is there any benefit (financially) to Cast Boolits for having this psclicks thing connected to the site/forum?

It does provide me with a very small benefit,, about a 5 gallons of gas a month that in my current financial status helps more than most would be helped.
It rarely is a problem, but now and then there is a glitch somewhere.

alamogunr
07-21-2011, 02:45 PM
It does provide me with a very small benefit,, about a 5 gallons of gas a month that in my current financial status helps more than most would be helped.

Does what some of us just did reduce that benefit?

45nut
07-21-2011, 02:59 PM
the only money generated is when folks actually do "click" and wander around, if you were not inclined to "click" anyway there is nothing lost.

Dean D.
07-21-2011, 03:26 PM
I just followed the instructions given above on editing my hosts file and viola! MUCH MUCH faster page loading! Thanks guys!

Recluse
07-21-2011, 03:33 PM

Was wondering.

There are some sites that have things that only benefit the host provider and not the domain owner, users, or members.

This is the first time I've had to wait on it in a long time--then it went away and all went back to how it is 99% of the time.

07-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Is this host the reason why this site has been running so slow, for about the last week? I know that in the real world, a minute is not an excessively long period of time. However, when waiting for an Internet site to load, it seems forever.

I'm not too computer literate, and following the above instructions, have not been able to find that host. Is there someone who will kindly walk me, and possibly others, through the deletion procedure? Thanks, in advance.

Edited to add: For what it's worth, it took 1 minute and 35 seconds to get back to the sub-forum page and another 1 minute and 35 seconds to get back here, to make this addition.

alamogunr
07-21-2011, 10:43 PM
I have been slow all evening. I made the changes(additions) to the host file. At least I think I did. I'm never sure about stuff like that. Everything seemed OK for awhile then the long delays started again. I went back in and deleted the change to the host file. Made no difference. Still long delay. The last one was at least 3-4 minutes.

Dean D.
07-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Open up my computer, local disk (C: ), Windows, system 32, drivers, etc. Inside the Etc. folder you will find a file named "Hosts". Open that file with Notepad. There are directions on the top of that file but all you need to do is add the following line to the bottom of that file:

127.0.0.1 [insert spaces here]www.psclicks.com[insert spaces here]# psclicks

DO NOT type the "[insert spaces here], I bracketed it to show spacings in the string.

Once you have finished adding that line you can save the file and all should work well.

Hope that helps.

oneokie
07-21-2011, 10:48 PM
I'm not too computer literate, and following the above instructions, have not been able to find that host. Is there someone who will kindly walk me, and possibly others, through the deletion procedure? .

You do not want to delete the hosts file, you want to edit it by adding the information posted by wiljen in post # 4 of this thread.

waksupi
07-22-2011, 12:05 AM
It looks like the best thing to do, if it doesn't slow your computer much, is to click on each of them every day, to make some more bucks for Ken.

A tip for slow loaders. When I had dial up, I would open a couple windows, and while I was reading in one, I would have the next page loading in the other window. Made things much faster.

Recluse
07-22-2011, 12:31 AM
It looks like the best thing to do, if it doesn't slow your computer much, is to click on each of them every day, to make some more bucks for Ken.

Yep, that's my game plan. Clicked on all of them earlier today, will do the same tomorrow and the day after and after and after.

Bret4207
07-22-2011, 08:01 AM
I'm assuming no deadly changes will be made that can't be undone?

07-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Dean D,
My operating system is Windows 7. After clicking "drivers", there is not an "etc" listed.

TCFAN
07-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Open up my computer, local disk (C: ), Windows, system 32, drivers, etc. Inside the Etc. folder you will find a file named "Hosts". Open that file with Notepad. There are directions on the top of that file but all you need to do is add the following line to the bottom of that file:

DO NOT type the "[insert spaces here], I bracketed it to show spacings in the string.

Once you have finished adding that line you can save the file and all should work well.

Hope that helps.

Using the info from Dean D,I found the following info for vista..........

By default, if you try to modify your hosts file in Vista, it will not let you save it. It tells you that you don't have permission. To successfully modify the hosts file, run notepad.exe as an administrator and open the file.

1) Browse to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories
2) Right click "Notepad" and select "Run as administrator"
3) Click "Continue" on the UAC prompt
4) Click File -> Open
5) Browse to "C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc"
6) Change the file filter drop down box from "Text Documents (*.txt)" to "All Files (*.*)"
7) Select "hosts" and click "Open"
8) Make the needed changes and close Notepad. Save when prompted.

Technorati tags: Vista, Hosts file, UAC

I did this and so for so good.Castboolits is now loading much faster on my slow dialup..........Terry

geargnasher
07-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks a million, guys, this site has been lagging like crazy for a couple of days, but I never saw the PSCLICKS thing come up anywhere.

Gear

mroliver77
07-22-2011, 04:01 PM
I have a lot of trouble with this site. Some times I cannot get connected for hours. Sometimes the psclicks just sits the and mocks me. I don't do a lot of browsing but seem to only have troubles with Cast Boolits site.

GRUMPA
07-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Even after altering my file I can't connect at times. Once I delete the change it all goes back to the way it was. But I'm tethering my I-Phone to my computer in order to get internet, maybe that has something to do with it I really don't know.

Dean D.
07-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Sorry guys, my instructions were for Win XP. I cannot comment on Vista or Win 7 but it looks like TCFan has that covered. Thanks Terry!

07-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Havng to make computer modifications, so that this site loads as fast as any other that I visit, just doesn't make sense.

southpaw
07-23-2011, 09:55 AM
OK guys, I just spent the last hour or so trying to do this. I followed TCFAN's instructions and I was able to edit and save. However that did not work. The save part worked but I still get the waiting for psclicks.com. I found 2 ip addresses for psclicks and added both of them. 74.217.207.159 and 74.217.207.167. Still did not work. I am pretty sure that I managed to delete something aswell.

Is there any way for me undo what I did and start over? Or better yet get so the wife can to do it.

Thanks

Jerry Jr.

45nut
07-23-2011, 10:00 AM
It will be gone soon. psclicks should have fixed the bug by now, I thought they would. but it seems futile to think they will now.
If I knew how to remove it right now I would, but as soon as the techie gets back on board it will be gone.

TCFAN
07-23-2011, 10:42 AM
OK guys, I just spent the last hour or so trying to do this. I followed TCFAN's instructions and I was able to edit and save. However that did not work. The save part worked but I still get the waiting for psclicks.com. I found 2 ip addresses for psclicks and added both of them. 74.217.207.159 and 74.217.207.167. Still did not work. I am pretty sure that I managed to delete something aswell.

Is there any way for me undo what I did and start over? Or better yet get so the wife can to do it.

Thanks

Jerry Jr.

On my Vista system I did not put the IP address in that you have posted. All I did after I found out how to edit and save the change was to use the info from Dean D that he posted which was..........

And it worked on my system................Terry

downwind
07-23-2011, 11:02 AM
HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [smilie=b: :groner: :killingpc

Jailer
07-23-2011, 01:34 PM
It will be gone soon. psclicks should have fixed the bug by now, I thought they would. but it seems futile to think they will now.
If I knew how to remove it right now I would, but as soon as the techie gets back on board it will be gone.

Good. I'm still having trouble connecting and I can't modify my host file.

kywoodwrkr
07-23-2011, 03:51 PM
I've noticed a drastic slow down in the Internet in general in the last week.
psclicks may just be on a very slow server and a symptom, not a cause.
That of course is not our problem, unless you're trying to sign on .:kidding:
This is just another one of those 'pc' things I cannot understand.
Communication software should be able to identify 'slow'responders' and basically vary them offline.
That lack of capability is net wide.
I maybe often see spooks where there aren't any, but with the election coming up in 2012, and everyone saying how important the internet is going to be, sure would be a way to sloooow things down. The denial of service attempts take a toll on the internet as a whole in response times also.
My communication skills departed when I quit tying some mid-range computers together back in the late 90's.
But we were able to isolate slow response and remedy it one way or another.
Oh oh! Some wants this box, so I better get off of it for now.
Sign me just another ole fuddy duddy.

MT Gianni
07-24-2011, 12:34 AM
I am running Vista and Firefox as a browser. I have never seen the psclicks and evidently don't miss it.

Gunload Master
07-24-2011, 10:23 AM
It's gone.

downwind
07-24-2011, 06:33 PM
THANK YOU
:bigsmyl2:
:awesome:
:guntootsmiley: