PDA

View Full Version : Rebounding hammer?

GARCIA
07-21-2011, 07:21 AM
Can anyone tell me if the Japanese (Miroku) 1886 Winchester has a rebounding hammer?

Weapon is a late 1980's model that I am considering purchasing.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Tom

2shot
07-21-2011, 08:26 AM
I might be wrong but I think the Browning/Miroku offering of the 1886 does not have a rebounging hammer, the late Winchester/Miroku reproductions do. I have a Winchester/Miroku 1886 EL and it has the rebounding hammer.

There are several articles out there that tell how to make the rebounding hammer more reliable. If the one that you're looking at has a rebounding hammer I personally wouldn't let that stop me from buying it. These are nice shooting and well made reprodutions!

2shot

GARCIA
07-21-2011, 08:48 AM
2shot thanks for the information!!!

Tom

fecmech
07-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Garcia--It's easy enough to tell if you can handle the gun. Check to make sure the action and chamber are clear. Cock the hammer and hold it with your thumb while you pull the trigger and lower the hammer with your thumb. If it does not go all the way to the firing pin on it's own it's a rebounding hammer. If it stops short and needs to be pushed to the pin (while holding the trigger back) it's a rebounding hammer.

GARCIA
07-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Have not purchased the weapon as of yet. I am in Georgia and the weapon being sold is out in Colorado. That is why I posted the question.

I sure do wish It was here in Georgia!! It's a new old stock 1886 Winchester in the full rifle style and not one of the short rifles.

Tom

Canuck Bob
07-21-2011, 08:33 PM
This is unverified but I understand that if it has the tang safety it has the rebound hammer, my new Winoku 92 does. Please check it out as I have not handled any earlier rifles yet.

Cimarron Red
07-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Garcia,

The Miroku/Winchester 1886 rifle was first imported in late 1997 or early 1998. I bought mine new in May of '98. And all of the newer Winchester-marked 1886's have the tang safety, including mine.

MtGun44
07-21-2011, 10:19 PM
If it has the tang safety, it has the rebounding hammer. Also see if there is a spring
plunger built into the rear end of the firing pin. This further enhances the unreliability. (Not an
error in that last sentence!)

IMO, a very, very poor redesign. Mine was unusable until I spent a LOT of time reworking
most of the interior parts. I would NOT buy another, myself, even though in all other
ways it is a beautifully made and wonderful rifle. Going "CLICK" gets really old, really
fast, and initially it had extreme vertical stringing, even when hand fired - it was apparently
due to severely inconsistent ignition due to extremely light primer hits. They were barely
marked with a tiny dent. HOWEVER, a good friend bought the same model at the same
time from the same supplier and his was just fine in every way. GRRRRR!!!

"extreme vertical stringing" means 100 yd groups that are 2-3" wide and 20" tall. . . . .
The same ammo in my Marlin GG did and will shoot 1-2" at 100.

Bill

GARCIA
07-22-2011, 09:38 AM
The 86 Winchester will be heading to Turnbull Restoration here in the next couple of days. They are going to remove the safety and bring it back to the old style of the half cock. Also going to have it rechambered while it is there.

Tom

Canuck Bob
07-22-2011, 04:48 PM
I got lucky my Winoku 92 hits ok and the primer dent is reasonable. I'll sure be making the alterations to the rebound system found on the net once I'm sure of no warranty issues. I really don't mind the safety but the uneeded complexity of the rebound system is a bit much. There are some threads and sites that talk about fixes. There is something disappointing though, they are well built rifles and having to cut and grind to make them work as they should is a little foolish.

Here are some links that discuss the procedures for some of the Winokus.

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=54781
http://onesticky.levergunscommunity.org/how_to/1886_hammer_sear.html
http://marauder.homestead.com/Rifles.html
http://winchester1886.blogspot.com/2010/08/winchester-1886-removing-rebounding.html

W.R.Buchanan
07-22-2011, 08:02 PM
I have a Marlin 39AS an it has a rebounding hammer. It makes an annoying boing noise everytime I shoot it. I decided I was going to remove that feature so I bought a new hammer spring strut and cut one side off it. no more rebounding hammer! I was happy.

Then I pulled the trigger with the hammer on half cock. click Very loud click!

OOP's it seems that the rebounding hammer is different from the old style hammer, by virtue of not having a slot to capture the trigger sear. It only has a step. so when you pull the trigger with the gun on half cock it is just liek pulling the trigger on full cock except it doesn't fall as far.
I put the rebounding strut back in the gun and have been suffering with the boing noise ever since.

Someday I will either find a pre rebound hammer and trigger, or I will cut a slot in my existing half cock step that will capture the sear.

Until then,,,, Boing! :violin:

This hijack was written to inform those who think they should just modify their existing rebounding hammer guns. Probably more to it than meets the eye.

Randy

Canuck Bob
07-23-2011, 02:23 PM
This hijack was written to inform those who think they should just modify their existing rebounding hammer guns. Probably more to it than meets the eye.

Randy

Thanks for the heads up. A 39 is in my future. I didn't even know they went to a rebound hammer.

W.R.Buchanan
07-27-2011, 12:09 AM
They went rebound hammer as soon as they added the Cross bolt safety. Mine is a 91 model.

Note : the rebounding hammer is not on any other Marlin Lever gun, just the M39AS

The "S" stands for Safety!

Randy