PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Strong Mount

rollmyown
07-21-2011, 01:03 AM
I am building a new reloading bench. I'm thinking 1 meter high top (about 39 1/2 inches.) One of my presses is a Dillon 550, and I'm thinking of using a Srong Mount or a homemade one. The question is will this be OK height wise? I am space limited and the Strong Mount will enable mounting over the bench. If I drop the bench height I am worried the height will be too low to comfortably use my other presses and reloading tools.

Obviously I will be standing at the bench (I've always preferred to stand to load). I'm 5 11" tall. What do you think?

PacMan
07-21-2011, 01:34 AM
You can do the math but when i was running two 550Bs i liked the top of the ram stroke to hit me about the bottom of the rib cage.That way i was not doing a lot of lifting of the arms and i could peer down into the operation and the cases. Now using the strong mount that may leave single stage press a little low for some. If the Dillon is the most used press build the bench to fit you and it.You may need to sit to more comfortably operate a single stage press.

The strong mount is a good option but you can run a Dillon very well without it and everything will be closer to the same level.

Mike Kerr
07-21-2011, 01:50 AM
I am 5'9" and my Dillon 550 is on a strong mount. The height on that bench is 35.5" and if I rememeber correctly the Strong Mount adds 8.5" (about 44" combined. . My set up is very good for me, height wise.

I have a second bench that is 39" (like yours) - I took the strong mount off for that press (550). For me the 39" without a strong mount is a little low but no back strain from leaning over. With the 8.5" added to the 39" I felt it was a little awkward (don't really know why ).

As anal as it sounds I think you arm length is also involved because when you go to the bottom of the press stroke - if you have to bend your back - it gets tiring after a short period of time. Reloaders that DO NOT reload in volume never miss a beat bending over slightly etc. but VOLUME of say 400 to 500 per hour for an hour or more wears you down.

Regards,

:smile::smile::smile:

Ausglock
07-21-2011, 02:24 AM
G'day. My bench is 950mm high. I have a 550 mounted to it and load seated on a barstool. It did have a Strong mount and I loaded standing with no issues. It's just that I like to be comfortable when loading. :bigsmyl2:

I'm 5'9".

jmorris
07-21-2011, 10:15 AM
The strong mounts are not as solid as mounting the frame directly to the bench. You are building from nothing so set the height right with out the mount. If that causes the press to take up too much "room space" hanging over make the bench 6" narrower.

Hardcast416taylor
07-21-2011, 10:22 AM
G'day. My bench is 950mm high. I have a 550 mounted to it and load seated on a barstool. It did have a Strong mount and I loaded standing with no issues. It's just that I like to be comfortable when loading. :bigsmyl2:

I'm 5'9".

????? So how high is your bench in inches? How tall are you in mm?:bigsmyl2: My bench is about 39" high for using my Hornady Pro-Jector.Robert

para45lda
07-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Got my 550 on a strong mount. Perfect for loading standing or sitting on a 30-32 inch stool.
YMMV

truckmsl
07-21-2011, 12:20 PM
I had a Dillon SDB without a strong mount. I determined what my optimal height was and built an elevated box bolted to my existing bench and mounted the dillon to that. Custom height without the expense. Worked great for many years. If you're building a new bench, just include an elevated section to mount your press to.

Dframe
07-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Just depends on what works well for you. I'm 6' 2" and prefer to load standing. My bench is 42 inches high and I have a strongmount. Actual press height is around 50 inches and makes it quite handy for me to keep an eye on whats going on with my press while loading.

mpbarry1
07-21-2011, 02:33 PM
+1 for the strong mount. Makes it comfortable to stand or sit on a stool. I like to stand and look down into station 2 (powder charge). Just makes me feel more comfortable with what it is I'm about to go shoot. I loaded for years without one and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

Walt
07-21-2011, 06:08 PM
My benchs are 34" high and with the strong mounts on my SDB's and 550 the height for standing is perfect for me, I'm 5'9. The 34" benchtop works well with my single stage Redding Boss press from a stool. I have an 11" riser of my own design for my Redding Ultra Mag for working from a stool also. I'm quite happy with the set up and I find zero difference in rigidity of the presses using the strong mounts.

danny.k
07-23-2011, 01:44 PM
I made a "post" for my 550b.

Welded and drilled.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/zeldafia/DSC00484.jpg

Sandblasted and painted.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/zeldafia/DSC00495.jpg

In place.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/zeldafia/DSC00498.jpg

Larger more suitable bins attached.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/zeldafia/DSC00499.jpg

Waldog
07-23-2011, 01:54 PM
BTW, the Dillon strong mount works well for other presses as well. I know of several guys with LNL's that use the Strong Mount. You will have to drill matching holes.

milprileb
07-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Be aware there are two sizes of Strong Mounts. Check Dillon site. One is taller than the other. FYI.

Kevin Rohrer
07-25-2011, 09:46 PM
How does the aluminum, completed-round exhaust shoot attach to the Strong Mount?

Dframe
07-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Very nice job Danny K. I'd love to get a couple of bin mounts to go on my SDB. Do you make for sale?

cajun shooter
07-26-2011, 09:09 AM
I have a work bench that I purchased from Lowes. It stands 36 inches high and I have my Dillon Strong Mount on it. The strong mount on this height bench requires standing or a drafting chair. I happen to have a wife in the business so the chair came easy. To me the strong mount makes the 550B so easy to use as it provides mounting for your bullet trays, tool bracket with tools, and case bin. It also provides a ammo bin for the completed ammo. It makes the Dillon become the best press to use.

Kevin Rohrer
07-26-2011, 11:29 AM
The Dillon certainly is versatile and well-made, but I have a couple minor gripes about it that might force me to sell mine and replace it with something else:

1. The primer and powder measure systems aren't 100% foolproof, so I have to keep a careful eye on them. In order to see into powdered cases requires a light that shines in from directly above. I have a Strong Mount on-order, and when I get it in-place, the press might be too tall for me to see into the cases. We shall see what we see.

2. It is too big and bulky. I wish the press was as elegantly compact as a Star.

3. My biggest gripe is that the handle and movement arc are too long (about 120-degrees for the arc). If I stand I must bend slightly to move the handle entirely thru its arc; and if I sit in a chair, then I can't see into the cases. I am using the rolling handle and it would be difficult to shorten or modify it without interfering with press operation. I am considering bending the top 4" of it forward 90 degrees, which would both shorten it and reduce the felt arc to something manageable.

Or I could get a bench-top mounted press like a PW P200, Star, or RDP. Decisions-decisions.

If anyone has a solution to my handle problem, I would appreciate your help.

cajun shooter
07-27-2011, 11:19 AM
KEVIN, You may use any small flashlight through the center hole in your die holder. Use plastic tie wraps or rubber bands to hold it in place. You may also use a light designed for drafting that clamps to the table. I put one of the spiral power saver bulbs as these don't produce a lot of heat nor use a lot of electricity. It lights up the entire loading area.They may be purchased from Office Depot.

Kevin Rohrer
07-27-2011, 12:27 PM
I have a flexible desk lite that does a good job of lighting up the platen. My problems are my ability to see into the case based on the height of the press when I add the Strong Mount, as well as my desire to reduce the movement arc to something manageable.

My reading says the Dillon press designs are based on the Star. If Mike D. were to bring out a compact press like the Star for pistols only, he wouldn't be able to keep up w/ orders.

milprileb
07-28-2011, 10:37 PM
I use the strong mount. I have a LED light flex cuffed to shine into station 4: bullet seating station so I can see powder level before seating a bullet on the Dillon 650. The Roller handle makes the press so much more user friendly and I wonder why I did not get one for my Dillon 450 years ago !.

63 Shiloh
07-29-2011, 04:31 AM
I have a flexible desk lite that does a good job of lighting up the platen. My problems are my ability to see into the case based on the height of the press when I add the Strong Mount, as well as my desire to reduce the movement arc to something manageable.

My reading says the Dillon press designs are based on the Star. If Mike D. were to bring out a compact press like the Star for pistols only, he wouldn't be able to keep up w/ orders.

I understand completely what you are saying Kevin,I have to also do the 'Dillon dip' to one side when reloading.

The roller handle's arc is too long. I am 6' 6" and I almost have to do squats on the handle down position.

I have been thinking of a mod for this too.

I wish Dillon offered an short throw pistol kit too.

Mike

Kevin Rohrer
08-06-2011, 03:01 PM
I added the Strong Mount and it solved my Dillon Dip problem. Now I can set on my stool or stand and load w/o having to lean down. Am still thinking of bending the top 3" of the arm forward 90-degrees.

The light you see in the pics helps me see into the powdered cases, but it's not perfect. I will continue looking at alternative lighting sources.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0654.jpg

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0655.jpg

noylj
08-07-2011, 09:15 PM
When you get as old as I am, the press needs to be mounted to a low table. I have to sit and NOT on a bar stool. I WANT to be able to look into the case without bending my back.
A strong mount is not for my reloading room. I think that many people just LIKE the looks of the strong mount and WANT to have one...

jakharath
08-17-2011, 09:47 AM
The strong mount is just a mounting point. It does make the press higher, but you can add on the bullet tray and completed cartridge bin. The bullet tray is all that and a box of cookies!

Just a note - If I'm reloading for a long period I go back and forth between setting in an office chair and standing. My 550 is mounted on a 2x12 piece of pine that is C-clamped onto my office desk.

Kevin Rohrer
08-17-2011, 12:54 PM
When you get as old as I am, the press needs to be mounted to a low table. I have to sit and NOT on a bar stool. I WANT to be able to look into the case without bending my back.
A strong mount is not for my reloading room. I think that many people just LIKE the looks of the strong mount and WANT to have one...

I certainly understand what you are saying. My complaints about the 550B deal with the Dillon Dip and wanting to look into the cases like you do. The Strong Mount solved both these problems.

How do you deal with the Dip since your press is mounted low?

cgm
08-17-2011, 05:02 PM
I too like to stand. I have found that, pretty much, higher is better. I have my SDB's with the bases at a height of 54in. This could be a little lower but, not by more than 4in or, so. This is what works for me.....i'm 5'10".

20nickels
08-18-2011, 02:29 PM
My shootin buddy had a 550 on a "strong" mount. There is way too much flex in that mount. Go with a piece of 1/4" or thicker box steel to get the desired height.

W.R.Buchanan
08-18-2011, 05:56 PM
I did mine like this. All of my progressive presses are mounted on plates, and can be removed just by undoing 2 C clamps. That way they don't take up space on the bench when not in use.

Randy

hes
08-18-2011, 07:25 PM
That is nice.

Kevin Rohrer
08-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Very nice, WR. It's good to see someone using older presses.

What Mark is your CH Autochamp? I am considering getting one.

thehouseproduct
08-19-2011, 07:01 PM
3. My biggest gripe is that the handle and movement arc are too long (about 120-degrees for the arc). If I stand I must bend slightly to move the handle entirely thru its arc; and if I sit in a chair, then I can't see into the cases. I am using the rolling handle and it would be difficult to shorten or modify it without interfering with press operation. I am considering bending the top 4" of it forward 90 degrees, which would both shorten it and reduce the felt arc to something manageable.

If anyone has a solution to my handle problem, I would appreciate your help.

I understand completely what you are saying Kevin,I have to also do the 'Dillon dip' to one side when reloading.

The roller handle's arc is too long. I am 6' 6" and I almost have to do squats on the handle down position.

I have been thinking of a mod for this too.

I wish Dillon offered an short throw pistol kit too.

Mike
I made my own. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to make a version with only a ball on top.
http://tapatalk.com/mu/40bafd02-6b9b-ce19.jpg

Lloyd Smale
08-20-2011, 07:07 AM
thats a new one on me. Ive been using strong mounts for over 20 years and havent noticed one bit of flex in them.
My shootin buddy had a 550 on a "strong" mount. There is way too much flex in that mount. Go with a piece of 1/4" or thicker box steel to get the desired height.

W.R.Buchanan
08-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Kevin: My Auto Champ is a Mark 4, and it is in really nice shape, and functions perfectly.

It is setup for .40 S&W right now with Lee and C&H dies but I have all of the tooling and rails to convert it to revolver cartridges like .38/.357 too.

I'd take $450 for it + Shipping. PM me if you're interested

Randy

Kevin Rohrer
08-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Kevin: My Auto Champ is a Mark 4, and it is in really nice shape, and functions perfectly.

It is setup for .40 S&W right now with Lee and C&H dies but I have all of the tooling and rails to convert it to revolver cartridges like .38/.357 too.

I'd take $450 for it + Shipping. PM me if you're interested

Randy

It is very tempting. I was looking for one for .45ACP last month, but now am looking at a Phelps or Star in .38spl. The Dillon is so versatile, I hate to sell it now that I added a Strong Mount.

I need more room on my bench for all this great old equipment. :bigsmyl2:

mtgrs737
08-22-2011, 05:20 PM
I have two Dillon 550b's and I mounted them down at bench top height because I like to eyeball the powder level in the case at station 3. I too bought a strong mount and a aluminum roller handle to give a try, but they are not going to work for me, I like sitting down to reload and the handle throw is too long. I need to move them on to someone that could use them but I don't what to lose money on the deal. I will just take them to a gunshow and put them on my table.

I am thinking of getting a inspection mirror to mount above and behind station 3 so that I can see inside the case easier to check powder level. I have a flex head light that will light the way.

Kevin Rohrer
08-23-2011, 09:40 AM
I too bought a strong mount and a aluminum roller handle to give a try, but they are not going to work for me, I like sitting down to reload and the handle throw is too long.

If you look at my photos, I did the same thing. The press now works "ok" standing or sitting on a high stool, but I am not entirely happy due to the long throw.

I do have a solution, though, which I am going to try:

A co-worker with metal-working skills is going to put heat on the roll handle arm 3.5" below the handle and bend it forward 90-degrees. This will move it that far away from me at the top of the stroke, while reducing the downstroke that far. Doing this will entirely eliminate the Dillon Lean and make it more comfortable to operate.

W.R.Buchanan
08-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Kevin: all it takes to convert the C&H is a set of anyones dies, usually a 4 die carbide set is used, and then the appropriate Expander Plug for the C&H charging die , from C&H<$10.

I have the other pieces which are the actual guide rails that guide the cartridges, there are two sets,,, Rimmed and rimless.

Mine was set up for .38/357 when I bought it. I'd include those dies too, if you like.

The Dillon 550 is a good machine but with the manual indexing it just can't keep up with an automated progressive for pistol cartridges. With the carosel case feeder and some extra primer tubes you can do 5-600 per hour with the C&H.

Randy

Kevin Rohrer
08-24-2011, 12:19 AM
Randy,

1. How much clearance is there between the top of the shelldolder and the bottom of the top bar where the dies set?

2. Are you saying that w/ the rails you have, I can load any pistol cartridge?

W.R.Buchanan
08-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Kevin: I don't know if the rails will spread apart enough to swallow a .500S&W, however it will do a .460 S&W which is just a long .45LC.

The Rail Sets are moved in and out to accomidate the case rims for both styles of cartridges and all you do is center them up with respect to the dies and the primer insertion probe.

Here's a pic and the case on the left is a .500 S&W the one in the middle is .45 win mag which is just a lengthened .45ACP cartridge, and the small one is a .380. The capacity is there, but the practicality might not be.

The normal published range for this machine is 9mm to .45ACP(rimless) and .38 to 45LC (rimmed). However it will do a few other rounds like .380's or Makarovs, or .45 win mags, Slightly longer or shorter is not going to be a problem. However you can't justify the time to set this machine up for only 100 rounds. It is High Volumn Progressive Machine and is best used for longer runs of ammo.

The only problem I see with trying to load big boomer like the .500S&W is I don't think the powder measure can fit a big enough bushing to charge that big a case. Bushings are available for just about any normal pistol charge with any pistol powder. They're cheap and Dave's service is fast and top notch. It will easily load full house .44 Mags or Specials.

Also I don't see anyone on this planet being able to shoot enough .500S&W's to justify using a progressive press. Maybe on Mars. It'll do anything else you need in the pistol round arena. :Fire:

Randy

AZ-JIM
08-25-2011, 09:37 PM
The bottom of my bench is 39" from the floor and the bench top is about 1.25-1.5 thick. I liked the idea someone here had about using a solid wood door for a top, so I did the same. I love the height of my bench, I sit on the padded "auto part store" barstools when I reload and the height is perfect for me and I'm 6'2". My press and powder measure are mounted to the bench, the only thing that is too low for me is the powder scale. As soon as I come up with something to support it and the trickler that is not too big I will fab something up.

az-jim

Nater
11-20-2011, 05:10 PM
I use my RCBS pro 2000 on the dillon 550 strong mount, all i had do was plase 1" steel tube on each side as a riser with holes drilled in them to line up with the base of the mount, the mounting holes even line up perfect at the top. Didn't have to modify the dillon strong mount at all. Got the instructions from Ragland Defense Engineering

wrench man
11-21-2011, 12:00 AM
I made my bench to fit me (5' 10") and my Dillon 550 with the strong mount, not exactly sure why? but it's 37 3/8" high, made from a solid core exterior door and 4x4's and 2x4's, I can stand or sit, I have an old kitchen stool that the seat is just under 24" tall, and the leg brace crossmember is the exact same height of the step, the press isn't secured to the bench, I use ViseGrip "C" clamps to hold it in place and I also haven't noticed ANY? flex in the strong mount.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx190/ramblerinternational/guns/bench002.jpg

On the roller handles, I can't even fathom the fascination with them?, the just look like a PAIN in the wrist to me?

Alvarez Kelly
11-21-2011, 01:46 AM
I use the roller handles on all my Dillon presses. Much easier on my carpal tunnel problem. I can load 500+ without numbness in my hand. With the ball, I used to be only able to load 200 to 300 before my hand stated to go numb.

Of course, everyone is different. They work for me. Some folks have had similar results with a larger diameter ball too.

1in9twist
11-22-2011, 01:45 PM
I have a second bench that is 39" (like yours) - I took the strong mount off for that press (550). For me the 39" without a strong mount is a little low but no back strain from leaning over. With the 8.5" added to the 39" I felt it was a little awkward (don't really know why ).

As anal as it sounds I think you arm length is also involved because when you go to the bottom of the press stroke - if you have to bend your back - it gets tiring after a short period of time. Reloaders that DO NOT reload in volume never miss a beat bending over slightly etc. but VOLUME of say 400 to 500 per hour for an hour or more wears you down.

Regards,

:smile::smile::smile:

:popcorn:

:mrgreen: