PDA

View Full Version : LEE 452-255 Mold for 1894 & BH

Whit Spurzon
01-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Yet another newbie in need of guidence here...

I shoot a lot of cast bullets but haven't as of yet cast my own. I'm itchin to give it a go so I'm hoping you'll share your knowledge and help me out. Since I enjoy and shoot my 45 Colt BH a lot and plan to buy a Marlin 1894 in that caliber I would like to start with that caliber. I noticed Midway has a 452- 255 RNFP mold for a very attractive price. The reviews are good and it appears it works well in both Lever and revolvers. My questions;

1) Anyone used this mold? Recommend it or another?

2) Lee Allox to lube?

3)How fast can I push a plain based bullet? Powder recommendations?

4) I have a melting, ladel, and lubri sizer I picked up at a garage sale and I've been melting scrap lead into ingots on my camp stove.. The lubri sizer is a mystery to me as to how it is used. What other equipment do I need to make my own bullets?

Thanks for you insights!
Whit

lead slinger
01-12-2007, 04:08 PM
I have shot this bullet for years in both rifles and pistols. I have never lubed it with lee alox, as I use a home made lube (50/50 beeswax and moly grease). Sized .452 and crimped in the grove, I have had excellent accuracy with 8-9 grains of unique. Both in blackhawks, and my 1894 winchester. I have driven this bullet to about 1600 fps in the rifle, with zero leading. Hope this helps. p.s. this bullet heats up your mold blocks FAST!!!! I went to a six cavity mold because of wearing out several two cavities.

Whit Spurzon
01-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks Lead Slinger!

What alloy are you using?

lead slinger
01-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Straight wheel weights. Air cooled.