PDA

View Full Version : Forcing cone length update

PacMan
07-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Well after several days of debating on what to do if anything i decided i would go ahead and ream the forcing cone on the Ruger. Thought about selling it but hate to pass troubles on to some one else.

What really bother me most was the way the bullet fit into the forcing cone and rocked back and forth. When i pulled the cutter into the cone and started to turn it stoped and i could feel it hitting a high spot. I really think that it was two lands that extended out longer than the rest. Backing off and using very little presure i evently removed the high spots. I quit as soon as the high spots were removed and the cutter cut smoothly.I then set the same bullet into the forcing cone and it sit almost perfect.

Using the same loads with the LBT FN that had never done better than 2 1/2" to 3" i shot one 6 shot group. Group was 1 1/2 calibers wide and 1 1/2" tall.Vertical stringing. I would like to say that most of the vertical stringing was my eyes and the open sites.After a few shots the 1" target at 25 yards starts to get a little fuzzy.

Now did the act of changing the angle of the forcing cone do the trick or removing the high spots,what ever they were, do it? I'm not sure maybe a combination of the two.

Need to cast some more up and see if i can repeat that group.

tek4260
07-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Glad you got it worked out!

Mine get the 11 deg forcing cone, springs, throats, sear work, and taller front sight before I ever waste a shot... most headaches are avoided by doing a few simple "fixes" that we all know they are going to need.