PDA

View Full Version : has anyone attempted to put multiable lee two cavity molds on six cavity handles?

tackstrp
07-20-2011, 12:33 PM
has anyone attempted to put multiable lee two cavity molds on six cavity handles? thought i would ask before I destroy some molds and six cavity handles.

btroj
07-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Cutting both sprues, dropping the bullets, closing the moods, all while keeping a good rhythm sounds tough to me.
You can give it a shot and it may work but sounds to "fiddly" to me.

tackstrp
07-20-2011, 02:22 PM
what i was thinking about is to use the sprue cutter from a six cavity mould. Have a tumble lube that i dont use. most likely will wind up with a four cavity. That is Assuming i can get everthing to line up and work.

RobS
07-20-2011, 03:48 PM
You'll need to mill down the 6 cavity handles since they are way to fat to make them fit a Lee 2 cavity mold or the flip is to open the channels on the 2 cavity molds to take on the wider width of the 6 cavity handles. I can't say as to getting the two lee molds (four cavities) aligned to the six cavity spure plate but it'll be a unique touch in getting the sprue plate to close properly if the two mold blocks are not fixed somehow to one another basically making a solid block from the two. Sounds interesting, I'll let you work it out though. :)

tackstrp
07-20-2011, 03:53 PM
lol will let me destroy the molds and handles . thanks rofl
you so kind. robs

RobS
07-20-2011, 03:59 PM
I just thought that you would enjoy the process more than I would. :bigsmyl2:

nanuk
07-21-2011, 05:42 AM
How would you get the extra holes lined up to drill, so both mould CLOSE properly when shut??

the moulds self align but the front one would likely try to close up earlier than the rear one.

I'm thinking this is more trouble than it is worth

but I'd sure be interested in hearing how it went for you, success or failure.

Keep us in the loop

MikeS
07-21-2011, 06:44 AM
It really would be easier to just order a six cavity mould from Lee, than trying to do what you're talking about. Unless you're a machinist with access to all the needed machinery. Unless you're thinking of casting 3 different types of boolits at the same time I really don't see any advantage to doing what you want. I mean 3 2 cavity moulds are around $20 each which is $60 and six cavity mould is $40, so there's really no savings in money either. But if you go ahead and do it, I would be interested in how it turned out.

Thinking about it further, and looking at a Lee 2 cavity mould I have here, as well as a 6 cavity mould I'm going to say it'll be impossible to do, the cavities are spaced wider in the 2 cavity mould than the 6 cavity, so you would need a custom sprue plate made.

tackstrp
07-21-2011, 08:10 AM
sadly the two molds that i want from Lee only come in two cavity, One is it 145 grain 10 mm and the 102 grain .356. Tried using two molds but casting time was to slow. You correct about the sprue plate. Need to make a custom one. Will need to buy steel for a knive blade then heat treat. should be able to make a sprue cutter from that. Or maybe can find a large butcher knive at second hand store.

Three-Fifty-Seven
07-21-2011, 09:09 AM
Sounds like you want a custom mold ... Tom at Accurate Molds make four cavity molds ... Can be different boolit in each cavity ... And it will work right!

tackstrp
07-21-2011, 09:39 AM
nah more fun to destroy good 2 cavity molds

:)

nanuk
07-21-2011, 09:58 PM
nah more fun to destroy good 2 cavity molds

:)

Heh.... then use a BFH, and have more fun for less money!