PDA

View Full Version : Browning BAR bolt stuck open

TheDoctor
07-20-2011, 12:16 PM
I am trying to help out a friend of mine. He has a belgian made Browning BAR Grade II 30-06, and the bolt is stuck open. I opened the magazine floor plate, and pulled/released the bolt like you would normally do, but the bolt does not move forward. Now have the gun in a disassembled state, forend, action arms, gas piston, buttstock, all off. With a mirror and light, it appears the hammer is not being held by the sear, it is touching the bottom of the bolt assembly. Snaking a long thin blade through the guide rod hole, I am able to push the hammer down a bit, and the bolt moves forward about 1/2 inch. That is not far enough to be able to remove the stock bolt plate, so I cannot get the trigger assembly out. I can slide the bolt cover back and forth to what I think are it's limits, which leads me to believe it is not what is binding. I do not know if when the bolt is to the rear, if there should be any tension on the trigger, but it seems the only thing putting tension on the trigger is the trigger return spring. It almost seems like the hammer did not catch on the sear, or the sear broke while the bolt was in the rearward position. No one is sure if this malfunction occured while firing, he traded for this gun, knowing it was broken, but hoping it would be easy to fix. This is a freebie job, not sure if he would be willing to spend the money to send it to browning for repair. It's just aggrevating the dog out of me, have never had a gun throw me a curve like this one. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully, if I can fix it, I'll have something I can trade him for it. Thanks.

felix
07-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Doc, if you should remember the fix from whatever source, I need a copy of it. I have a gun just like it, I think, but it is in working order the last time I checked. Like yours, mine belongs to a neighbor. The gun was purchased for long range self defense as far as indicated to me and he should have the fix on-hand for his smithy if and when. ... felix

TheDoctor
07-20-2011, 01:12 PM
Found the problem for this one. And I really feel stupid. Member of another board asked me if the gun had recently had a scope installed...... Gun is worn a bit, but the scope and mounts are flawless. Hmmmm.... Took the base off the gun, and the bolt was suddenly free! Reassembled gun, and so far done everything but fire it, and it works perfectly. Good thing I just tinker a bit and don't do this for a business. That would have been about 4 hours of time I couldn't bill! How could you explain that one?

TheDoctor
07-20-2011, 01:14 PM
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/field_service_manual/browning_bar_fsm.pdf

felix
07-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks, that looks fine. ... felix

CATS
07-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Doc, was the issue scope mount screws that were too long which blocked the action, a flex binding of the receiver by the scope mount plate, or something else?

TheDoctor
07-20-2011, 05:52 PM
It was a one piece mount. I put the mount back on with only the rear screw that I suspected, and just finger tight made it bind the bolt group. So I shall tell him to take the gun to an actual gunsmith, and have the scope mounted properly.

DLCTEX
07-21-2011, 07:22 PM
I'd just file the screw shorter.

DCM
07-23-2011, 07:53 AM
I'd just file the screw shorter.

Or get one the right length from Brownells etc. those short screws can be difficult to work with.