PDA

View Full Version : Contender Barrel; Marking?

Wildwood-Lake
07-20-2011, 11:32 AM
What does the marking on the bottom of the barrel lug mean. My 7mm TCU has 2 Y and my 32/20 has a N and the 357 Herrett has a 3 But a couple of them have nothing.

Wildwood-Lake
07-20-2011, 06:16 PM
The letters or numbers on the bottom of the barrel lug is for the reference of the barrel type. A TC mark for production.

donald duck
08-04-2011, 12:12 PM
I have a 14 inch 7 mm TCU Barrel with few markings other than 7 mm TCU stamped under barrel near hinge pin. On one side of the under lug hinge pin is a star, on the other side a 4 cross. I refer to it as a German cross. Has a very tight chamber and will not chamber my 7 mm TCU cartridges. Have a Wilson case gauge sizer and mine all chamber fine. I would like to send the barrel in to have it re chambered to take 7 mm TCU cartridges. A good example of why not to purchase items on Gun Broker!!!

C A Plater
08-04-2011, 11:35 PM
I have a 14 inch 7 mm TCU Barrel with few markings other than 7 mm TCU stamped under barrel near hinge pin. On one side of the under lug hinge pin is a star, on the other side a 4 cross. I refer to it as a German cross. Has a very tight chamber and will not chamber my 7 mm TCU cartridges. Have a Wilson case gauge sizer and mine all chamber fine. I would like to send the barrel in to have it re chambered to take 7 mm TCU cartridges. A good example of why not to purchase items on Gun Broker!!!

I doubt this is a factory barrel. If it were, there would be clear T/C markings on the barrel. The cross is typical of factory barrels so I suspect this is a stub with a new barrel threaded in place. Factory TCU barrels tend to have very generous throats so I suggest doing a chamber cast to see what you really got.

stubshaft
08-05-2011, 01:07 AM
+1 On that probably being a stub rebarrel.

blaser.306
08-05-2011, 01:14 AM

What kind of brass are you re forming your 7 tcu brass from ? I just made a new batch for mine and when I got out to the range to fire form them they would not chamber ! After pulling all the boolits and measuring the cases it turns up that I should have run them thru a small base .223 die first as I beleive that the brass may have come from an auto loader such as a ar-15 type of platform causing the base end of the brass to swolen enough not to chamber !