PDA

View Full Version : Returning a Lee mold question

cabezaverde
07-20-2011, 06:51 AM
I recently bought a Lee 6 cylinder 358 125 RF mold. Tried it out last night and it casts way oversized and out of round. I would like to exchange it.

It was from a new batch just received by Midsouth, as it was on back order for a while.

Do you guys usually take your complaint up directly with Lee, or with the company you bought from? My concern is if I return it to Midsouth, it will be replaced with another from the same batch, possibly having the same problem.

How responsive have you found Lee to be on these kinds of issues?

gray wolf
07-20-2011, 08:38 AM
I would call Lee and explain it just the way you did here. Tell them your problem and express your concerns about going back to Midsouth.

oscarflytyer
07-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Went directly to Lee and they were very responsive.

Carolina Cast Bullets
07-20-2011, 11:53 AM
They usually are for me

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Lee has been very good to me in similar situations.
I'd contact Lee.
Jon

RobS
07-20-2011, 11:59 AM
If MidSouth has a return policy that pays your return shipping + refunds the mold cost you could get a refund and try another online store. Sending directly to Lee will cost you the shipping out of pocket but you'll hopefully receive a good mold in return. I also send along with the mold sample boolits as varification.

garym1a2
07-20-2011, 12:45 PM
I use Midway and they have allways taken back my defective material.
Not the best price but a good return policy and great customer service.

Try Midsouths return policy. If it is not good don't use them again. I have never tried their return policy but demand good customer service for my online stores as price is secondary to customer serivce.

mooman76
07-20-2011, 11:21 PM
I usually just send it back to Lee with a note of the problem. In your case I would send a cast boolit from the mould along as sample also. They were always good and quick( 1 week) to replace. I never sent back anything as big as a mould but it still shouldn't be a problem.

frkelly74
07-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Lee will bend over backwards to make a happy customer. Contact them and talk to Patrick. I don't know about the return postage though.

Bob Krack
07-25-2011, 07:19 AM
I've never dealt directly with Lee but have purchased several Lee products from Graffs and the service rep (Willy) directed me to send the mould back to his facility. I shipped it later that day and found a new one in my mailbox the following day. LESS than 60 hours after our phone conversation. Missouri to far northern Kalifornia.

Cross shipped without questions. No outfit could have done better if ya ask me.

Bob

stubshaft
07-25-2011, 07:39 AM
I agree that Lee has great customer service. The problem is their quality control!

cajun shooter
07-25-2011, 09:05 AM
The best way to handle a Lee mould is to never purchase one to begin with!! I'm sorry guys but you may come with all the accolades you want for Lee and if given one I would not accept it.
I have spent close to $100 in mailing cost for Lee moulds that had various problems. It is a concept of Richard Lee's that he can make a mould for $50 that will serve all casters and it will not happen. I had to send three special order moulds to Lee in a row because of dropping bullets under size. I talked to Pat on several occasions and he told me that I was a impossible customer and wanted something that they did not make. That something was a " special order" mould for the 45 Colt or 45 Schofield that weighed 210 grains and had a dimension of .455 so that it could be lubed and sized with a finish of .454 Does that sound impossible to you? I received moulds that out of six cavities, all dropped different bullets. For the most part they were .452, .449, .451 and .450. I explained to Pat and sent him the slugs that my USFA revolvers were at 4535 and I needed a .454 bullet to seal the bore with my BP loads. That was the standard barrel size for Colt and USFA and that is what I paid for. If you say that a mould will drop a .455 bullet with a 20-1 alloy then that is the least you should receive.
After I sold every Lee mould I had over two years ago and purchased Hoch and Accurate moulds I have no more mould problems. My first Accurate mould was only $19 more than my special order Lee moulds but years ahead in craftsmanship. I now cast and have fun doing it. Lee products are made to help beginning casters start out and they fill that void but the QC has went too Low to handle.

07-25-2011, 09:16 AM
Lee "R gud folks"-lol. Have a box or two of Lee molds and happy with them. Just ordered two more. Had lost a part from a 4-holer press and they sent one-no charge. I even asked to pay since it was my fault but they sent it free.

cabezaverde
08-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Just to update this thread...

I called and spoke with Patrick, he asked that I return the mold with a few samples.

A replacement showed up today.

Boolseye
08-16-2011, 11:22 PM
I have returned two out of about 8 and have been treated very well by their shop. In both cases the boolits were nice, just too small. they have a +.002, -.000 guarantee. I have to respectfully disagree with the previous post lambasting Lee molds. No, they don't approach the craftsmanship level of an Accurate mold, but they're more than adequate for many of us, and mine all drop great boolits. Also, I really like the aluminum construction, due to their heat conducting properties. They require a bit more gentleness than a steel mold might, and they definitely need to be hot, in my experience. I dip them in the melt for upwards of 45 seconds for a 6-banger, less for a 2, and I keep my alloy up toward 800º. Works for me. Oh, and of course, lubricate them and don't beat the snot out of them.

cabezaverde
08-17-2011, 06:19 AM
Wish I could say this story had a happy ending. The replacement mold is just as bad and I need to send it back again.