PDA

View Full Version : Pink Bullets

crazy mark
07-19-2011, 10:55 PM
What could I add to my alloy to make it pink in color. My GD wants some pink 30-30 boolits for hunting. Just wondering. Mark

Bwana
07-19-2011, 11:25 PM
Well, not exactly what you asked for: http://www.ares-gun.sk/?lang=english

MikeS
07-19-2011, 11:45 PM
I wonder what would happen if you added pigment into LLA? Would it still function as it should? Could you add enough pigment to make it opaque without effecting the LLA's lubing abilities? If that could be done, then there's your answer!

bigjason6
07-19-2011, 11:46 PM
I hope I don't get smashed for this because I'm just guessing here. Use some pink nail polish on the bullets

MT Gianni
07-19-2011, 11:51 PM
Maybe an ATF based lube. Show her they are pink inside the bullet case.

cbrick
07-19-2011, 11:58 PM
What is a GD?

Rick

giz189
07-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Granddaughter.

geargnasher
07-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Grand-daughter? Just a guess.

Get a bottle of Testors hobby enamel from the craft store in the color you desire, and paint the noses after loading. Shouldn't hurt anything. One of the moderators used bake-on leadhead jig paint on a batch of boolits as a lube experiment, he had no problems shooting them as I recall, and he did the whole boolit.

Gear

geargnasher
07-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Beat me to it, Giz!

Gear

sh00ter787
07-20-2011, 01:52 AM
i used to paint the noses of my dummy rounds bright orange for doing dry firing practice at home - the paint would last quite some time before it started to chip :)

looseprojectile
07-20-2011, 02:08 AM
Add some copper to your alloy. I made pink boolits fifty years ago. Tougher and harder than I needed. Would work well in the 30 WCF.

Life is good

303Guy
07-20-2011, 02:50 AM
Add some copper to your alloy.How did you do it? I've dissolved solder tinned copper into alloy containing tin but couldn't repeat the exercise.

looseprojectile
07-20-2011, 03:08 AM
I used babbit bearing metal containing a lot of copper. Melts right in.
The area I live in is a rich hunting ground for old logging and sawmill machinery and the poured bearings are what you want.
I know a young eager scrapper and I ask him to look out for that which I want. Get all kinds of heavy metals from him.

Life is good

MtGun44
07-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Stand a batch of boolits, after sizing and lubing, on their bases on newspaper and spray
paint a couple of coats of pink paint. Should work fine and please the GD with her
SPECIAL boolits.

Bill

WARD O
07-20-2011, 02:05 PM
While I haven't done it, I've seen pictures of some pretty nice boolits that have been powder coated (painted) and then baked in a toaster oven. Pick your color - and they look real professional and shinny and pretty. Guaranteed to impress!

Ward

crazy mark
07-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the ideas. My Granddaughter doesn't ask for too much. Plenty of things to try. I posted a picture of her a while back shooting. She decided she needs one of my Marlins. Doesn't like the feel of a Winchester.
Thanks, Mark

1Shirt
07-20-2011, 04:22 PM
If you use nail polish try HOT pink! Lite colored pink doesn't show up much. Know from experiance.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

dverna
07-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Smart girl.

Marlins over Winnys any time.

Don

williamwaco
07-20-2011, 08:36 PM
I color code bullets frequently to identify different test loads.

I do it with sharpies. Don't know the thickness of the dried color, I can't measure it.

JeffinNZ
07-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Paper patch pink.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/DSCN0591-1.jpg

buck1
07-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Foundry type will cast a light pinkish purple.

cbrick
07-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Foundry type will cast a light pinkish purple.

My GD wants some pink 30-30 boolits for hunting. Mark

Buck, the original post was asking about hunting loads. Foundry type is brittle in the extreme and would make a very poor hunting bullet regardless of what color it may cast.

Rick

Bullwolf
07-28-2011, 11:08 PM
The Pink Bullets header made me think of that old polymer paint coated lead bullets thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=87768

I have messed around with lube alternative coatings a bit, like a lot of us here have I bet. I tried most of the usual suspects like Molybdenum.

For a while there I had a can of a dry coat Moly spray that was kind of convenient to apply. I also had a can of Teflon coating that made a really horrible lube, but really increased velocity numbers. I would use the dry Moly coat occasionally, and bake it on some 44 boolits for my old 44 special load. If nothing else it sure made them easy to identify.

Most of the stuff that I tried was not that easy to use, or apply. They also did not perform as well as standard tumble lubes like Alox, or Recluse's 45-45-10 mix did.

I had always wanted to mess around with a powder coated boolit.

I tried some Pro-Tec Lure and Jig powder paint, like 357 Maximum in the above linked thread. Wow that stuff is tough, and pretty thick too. After application, I ended up with some 9mm boolits that were .370 that I had to run through a sizer die again.

I did manage to get a couple 9mm boolits powder coated, and sized using the stuff, but it was quite labor intensive to apply. I still wanted to give it a try though after seeing the orange bullet from the thread.

What I never did try however was using just plain old spray paint. After seeing the pink bullets header I figured I should finally try that long overdue experiment.

I had a can of VHT automotive roll bar and chassis spray paint laying around... So I set some 9mm tumble lube boolits out, and I painted around 50 + boolits, or so with it.

My plan was to load them up later to see if accuracy is decent, and if the boolits will lead or not.

I guess I even could have painted them to be Pink!

The painted boolits are pretty easy to handle, and I bet I could apply lube over the top of the paint, if I so desired. I figure if nothing else they sure do look interesting.

I will get these loaded, and report back as to how well they perform when using spray paint as a boolit coating.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34487&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1311906578

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=539&pictureid=4119

- Bullwolf

63 Shiloh
07-29-2011, 03:43 AM
Down here, we have several cast boolit makers applying a proprietary coating to their boolits.

Colours I have seen are, blue, black, dark green, gold and a dark blue. They work well in pistols, although I have heard reports of leading in rifle calibres.

Not exactly sure what the coating is, its just applied over conventional grease groove designs.

If anyone has the ability to identify the coatings I am more than happy to post a few scrapings to them.

Mike

crazy mark
08-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Here is the pink boolits. I I ended up using spray paint. Slipper pink on the right and some other loud pink on the left.

bruce drake
08-09-2011, 12:47 AM
Jeff,
Is that pink onionskin paper? Interesting.

I could see painting the bullets with a light coat of spray paint and the lubing and checking them afterwards as means of identifying them for certain loads when they are resting in a coat pocket during hunting season. IE - A colored bullet tip for a light small game load and a normal lead boolit for a heavier deer load. I normally use a Spitzer bullet for game and a Flatnose or hollow-point boolet for hunting but if you had only one mold this could work.

Bruce

MtGun44
08-09-2011, 02:24 AM
Mark,
What does the end user think of her pink boolits? Pretty trick, if you ask me.

Bill

twotrees
08-09-2011, 01:47 PM
A guy that wears Purple Long john's , would have Pink bullets.

:hijack:

They look good enough to shoot.

Take care.

mold maker
08-09-2011, 01:54 PM
My long johns ain't pink by choice. Something faded.
I aint shooting no pink boolits either. I do have a choice there.

crazy mark
08-09-2011, 10:18 PM
It's pink paint on top of white paint. A member here suggested the white paint first. She is very happy and her friends are jealous. She shot some varmint J-words that had pink tips and decided she needed pink ones for hunting. Varnmit bullets don't work good for deer however.

noylj
08-11-2011, 07:30 AM
I would think that if you cleaned the exposed bullet after loading and let her paint them with the same nail polish as her fingers and toes, she would be quite happy. How many rounds of special bullets is she going to fire? I assume, not many.
You might contact Bayou Bullets. He uses "green snot" I hear for his bullet coating. He might be able to mix a little special for you and your very special GD.
LLA is a dark color that will not take allow a light color to be "nice."
First you would need to add enough TiO2 to get if at least a very light gray and then you would add the pigment you want. Not sure you want a lot of TiO2 going down your barrel.
You could also coat the nose with Rooster Jacket and an organic soluble dye that will color the wax emulsion.
Of course, a really loving GF might take each round, mask off the case and spray paint the bullet pink with embedded glitter.

Bullwolf
11-06-2011, 03:06 AM
I have messed around with lube alternative coatings a bit, like a lot of us here have I bet. I tried most of the usual suspects like Molybdenum.

What I never did try however was using just plain old spray paint. After seeing the pink bullets header I figured I should finally try that long overdue experiment.

I had a can of VHT automotive roll bar and chassis spray paint laying around... So I set some 9mm tumble lube boolits out, and I painted around 50 + boolits, or so with it.

My plan was to load them up later to see if accuracy is decent, and if the boolits will lead or not.

The painted boolits are pretty easy to handle, and I bet I could apply lube over the top of the paint, if I so desired. I figure if nothing else they sure do look interesting.

I will get these loaded, and report back as to how well they perform when using spray paint as a boolit coating.

- Bullwolf

I had forgotten that I promised to report back, and tell the folks here at Cast Boolits how the spray painted boolits performed at the range.

I loaded up 50+ of the black painted 9mm cast lead boolits using my standby load of Unique, minus a few tenths of a grain.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=539&pictureid=4170

I shot them through my Tanfoglio TZ-75 in August/September, as it has showed itself to be pretty cast boolit friendly.

The accuracy was about the same as my standard 9mm 124 grain tumble lube load at 25 yards. The painted boolits did not smoke excessively, lead, or foul the barrel with paint. The fired rounds showed no signs of excess pressure, and the velocity in FPS was not that far off of my normal 9mm loading.

They sure looked pretty, but the spray paint coating was far from what I would call durable when it came to handling. The paint was quite delicate (unlike the jig powder coating which was a very hard and extremely durable coating) It was far to easy to chip the paint off the top of a boolit during seating, or on the feed ramp of the gun. I went back over the few little nicks that I made when assembling the boolits, with a Birchwood Casey touch up paint pen when I was all finished. I didn't have the confidence to polish/tumble the painted rounds after that either. They only received a gentle cloth wipe down after loading.

I don't think I would bother doing it all over again, unless I wanted to be able to easily identify my ammunition for some odd reason.

While the results were not especially negative, they were not overly positive either. It wasn't all that easy to get an even application of paint all over the entire boolit, and the delicate coating of paint took a bit longer to dry and cure than a light coat of Allox or 45-45-10 does.

Maybe the commercially applied boolit coatings really are onto a good thing here.
The painted boolits did work, and shoot just fine, they just weren't worth the extra effort for me at the hobbyist level.

- Bullwolf

StrawHat
11-06-2011, 06:59 AM
crazy mark,

Glad things worked out for you and your Granddaughter. Let us know the results of the shots.

Has she started to help you reload yet? If not, give her a couple more years and she might.

Sonnypie
11-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Now, she needs a cartridge belt, or one of these Rifle Butt Cartridge Holders. ;-)

Christmas is comin, Grandpa. :grin:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ORSuQBb%2BL.jpg

crazy mark
11-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Right now she is into her new boyfriend who seems to be a very nice guy. She didn't get a deer this year however. She has a buttstock shell holder and I have one of the neopreme ones that is a recoil pad that is held on by a velcro strap. That makes the pull on her 30-30 too long though. She is going to learn how to reload after she saw the cost of store bought bullets. Mark

HI-TEK
02-11-2013, 07:03 AM
Down here, we have several cast boolit makers applying a proprietary coating to their boolits.

Colours I have seen are, blue, black, dark green, gold and a dark blue. They work well in pistols, although I have heard reports of leading in rifle calibres.

Not exactly sure what the coating is, its just applied over conventional grease groove designs.

If anyone has the ability to identify the coatings I am more than happy to post a few scrapings to them.

Mike

It would be interesting to look at the U-Tube videos 1 and 2.
YouTube videos:
Part1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VevKJgHseWc
Part2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU7PbbtbAtE

HI-TEK
02-11-2013, 07:05 AM
I had forgotten that I promised to report back, and tell the folks here at Cast Boolits how the spray painted boolits performed at the range.

I loaded up 50+ of the black painted 9mm cast lead boolits using my standby load of Unique, minus a few tenths of a grain.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=539&pictureid=4170

I shot them through my Tanfoglio TZ-75 in August/September, as it has showed itself to be pretty cast boolit friendly.

The accuracy was about the same as my standard 9mm 124 grain tumble lube load at 25 yards. The painted boolits did not smoke excessively, lead, or foul the barrel with paint. The fired rounds showed no signs of excess pressure, and the velocity in FPS was not that far off of my normal 9mm loading.

They sure looked pretty, but the spray paint coating was far from what I would call durable when it came to handling. The paint was quite delicate (unlike the jig powder coating which was a very hard and extremely durable coating) It was far to easy to chip the paint off the top of a boolit during seating, or on the feed ramp of the gun. I went back over the few little nicks that I made when assembling the boolits, with a Birchwood Casey touch up paint pen when I was all finished. I didn't have the confidence to polish/tumble the painted rounds after that either. They only received a gentle cloth wipe down after loading.

I don't think I would bother doing it all over again, unless I wanted to be able to easily identify my ammunition for some odd reason.

While the results were not especially negative, they were not overly positive either. It wasn't all that easy to get an even application of paint all over the entire boolit, and the delicate coating of paint took a bit longer to dry and cure than a light coat of Allox or 45-45-10 does.

Maybe the commercially applied boolit coatings really are onto a good thing here.
The painted boolits did work, and shoot just fine, they just weren't worth the extra effort for me at the hobbyist level.

- Bullwolf

You are almost on to it.
Have a look at U-Tube video 1 and 2 below.
YouTube videos:
Part1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VevKJgHseWc
Part2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU7PbbtbAtE